PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis 5-24

jayclarkflyfishing
05-26-2009, 06:16 AM
After a long season at Pyramid standing on a ladder 14 hours a day,sitting in a boat all day is nice change of pace.Early summer in the northern Sierra Nevada mountains is settling in with temps in the mid 70's and sunshine a plenty.There is no finer place to spend the day fishing this time of year than Lake Davis.Up at 6am and out the door at 6:50 .With the SS Tiny Boat in tow I make the 25 mile drive on a lovely late May morning.

With my usual boat ramp closed due to construction I am forced to use an alternate.I launch at Mallard Cove and wait for my buddy "Mr. Big Fish" to arrive.His arrival is timely and after loading his gear we depart.After a short 10 minute ride we drop anchor north of Jenkins Point.There a a few fish hitting something on the surface.Maybe a blood midge or maybe a damsel.I was unsure so I started off with a blood midge emerger on a dry line.After a half hour or so I had no action so I switch to a midge setup.While bsing with Mr BF I get my first take which I blow and miss the obvious hook set.No other takes so I decide to try stripping with a clear camo intermediate line.I start off with an Sheep's Creek and immediately get a grab.Mr BF is getting takes on midges and lands the first of many fish.After a bit he gets impatient and starts stripping a damsel with tremendous success.Meanwhile,I am still getting grabs but the damsel is outfishing me 3-1.Mr Bf ,being the nice guy that he is, gives me the fly he was using and I proceed to get a few fish.We are getting consistent action,but most of the fish are small.

Around lunch time we decide to go see how our friends Greg, Ernie and Rick are doing at Cow Creek.As we motor up we see some one hooked up.I drop anchor and we start casting.Within 3 or 4 casts I hook what turns out to be my best fish of the day a 20" rainbow.The take was brutal and the fish fought hard.In the net it went and the decision was made to spend the remainder of the day fishing here.We alternately fished midge rigs and stripped damsels catching fish both ways.All of us were hooking up regularly,but Mr BF had the hot rod with 20-25 fish to 22" landed.I was next with 15 fish to 20" and Greg had 11 fish to 21".A lot of dinks in the mix but the larger fish made it all worthwhile!

The next 6 weeks should be great as the damsel hatch progresses.Callibeatis and blood midges are also present so the options to catch fish are many.

Lake Davis...a stillwater paradise!

See you on the water!

Jay