PDA

View Full Version : Upper Sac, McCloud, Pit, Fall River or Hat Creek?

Rick_Berry
05-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi all.

I'm heading up north in two to three weeks to visit one of these for a day trip. If you could suggest just one for an Intermediate fly fisher hitting new water, wading not drifting, which one would it be? Proximity to Sac is a consideration. I usually fish Truckee and the Tahoe region, but have heard and read many wonderful things about these rivers and am ready to give one of them a go.

Thanks in advance!

- Rick.

easymends
05-22-2009, 03:43 PM
My vote would be the Upper Sac. Should be prime time in another two weeks, still a bit high but dropping nicely.

Grab Seth Normans book, Flyfishing Nor Cal and it will give you all the details you need. Lots of maps with good access.

If you catch fish on the Truckee you should do just fine.

Craig Nielsen
05-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Rick:
A bit too early to predict which river will be fishing best. Catch rates on the Pit exceed the others (particularly for athletic intermediates) but you can't beat the scenery on the McCloud, Fall River or Hat Creek. The Upper Sac is very approachable and has nearly 40 miles of access, quite a lot more than any of the others. Feel free to drop me a line anytime, particularly a few days before your trip for an update. Would love nothing more than to point you in a direction you'll enjoy and find success.