PDA

View Full Version : Transom Flex

RonOtto
05-21-2009, 07:26 AM
I have a 12' Metalhead minidrifter I use on the Lower American--up to this point, primarily drifting, rowing. Now I want to use a motor.
When I put my 7.5 Honda 4-stroke on the transom, the flex in the aluminum can be noticeable. (There's no re-enforcement added.) Should I look into getting Hurliman's to beef it up?

Thanks,

Ron Otto

OceanSunfish
05-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Not only will the transom flex just from the weight, but it will also flex inward under propulsion too. Therefore, you'll need to have gussetts (sp?) welded in place at the corners of the transom too.

I will PM you with a name of a welder that is very acustom to working on boats, etc.

Hibbygibi
07-22-2009, 10:07 AM
What is a Hurliman?

Should I look into getting Hurliman's to beef it up?

Thanks,

Ron Otto

Darrin.Deel
07-22-2009, 02:40 PM
I would have major aluminum bracing welded to the transom. Your boat was not designed to handle all that weight.

On another note, 7.5 horses is alot of power for a 12' drift boat. Most of the guys running 16'+ drift boats only run 6 horses

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-23-2009, 12:07 AM
All those welded aluminum "mini" drifters have rocker in the front and back which is not good for motoring at any speed

RonOtto
07-27-2009, 07:56 AM
After Hurliman's Boat & Repair (in Penryn 663-1590) beefed it up, it has worked out well with a solid, stable transom.
I have to trim the motor in close when under power against the current and it can handle moderate flows quite well. For my limited uses on the LAR, it fills the bill nicely.

Thanks for your comments.

Now, if I could just get those nicer stripers to grab more often...

Ron Otto

OceanSunfish
07-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Great news. I'm glad you were able to support the transom to fit your needs.