PDA

View Full Version : Truckee?

Paul B.
05-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Anyone fished here this week? Going on Thursday. Any info appreciated. Thank you, Paul

gilligan
05-19-2009, 07:43 PM
High temps this week up here started the run off again. The river is high everywhere in the mornings but drops in the afternoons and clears. You would think it would be clear early and get muddy late, but that's not the case. I would start off mid day and nymph with general attactor nymphs. No need to get fancy, down and dirty is the key. If you work hard you will catch a few fish. I'm sure it will shape up nicely if we get some normal seasonable temps.

www.gilligansguideservice.com

Paul B.
05-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Thank you Sir, I'll let you know how it goes. Paul

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-21-2009, 08:58 AM
On average, July is the traditional month for the Truckee River for most fly fishers.

I think July is a peak time for the NF of the Yuba River too.

June is a good average timing for the Upper Sac, McCloud, Pit, Fall River and Hat Creek.

Frank R. Pisciotta
05-21-2009, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=Bill Kiene;61738]On average, July is the traditional month for the Truckee River for most fly fishers.

Bill---True, July is definitely prime-time on the Truckee...for dry fly fishing.. I'm suggesting that fly-anglers heed Matt's previous advice relative to "...down and dirty is the key..." right now and through June. The exception being when the "Big Bugs of June" make an appearance.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Paul B.
05-21-2009, 11:21 PM
The weather was very nice. Not to many others on the river. I tried swinging just about everything in my box. There was very little surface (bug) activity and no rises. But "down and dirty" worked fine.

I was walking to a favorite spot and was met by a gentleman who was walking out. He said "too big!" meaning the water level. He was right. The water was too high and the fish were not looking up. I did find a couple high sticking around some rocks though.

I was nice to be up there again but I'll probably wait till normal summer months to go back. PB

Rich Leonetti
05-23-2009, 06:23 AM
Fished it yesterday with a guide (Dave Sloan). It was flowing pretty good. I hooked 4 all nymphing. There was some nice bug activity going on... but no rising fish. Started out on streamers and it was slow. Picked up in the afternoon. Going to fish the Little Truckee today and see if there is any better luck.

Rich Leonetti
05-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Fished the little truckee today.....fished from below boyington mill down to boca. In four hours landed 2 and missed four others. Took one on a dry fly a big orange stimulator. Nothing real big.... 10- 14 inchers... but is was nice to bring some fish to hand. I am heading back out now til dark.

EricW
05-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Sorry for the late reply, took me a bit to get registered. (Thanks Bill)

Wanted to mention that there's been a decent pop of grey drakes (?) mid-morning along with plenty of BIG flying ants all day. Definitely worth some slow and cautious prospecting up the slower banks with a dry :wink: Have had good luck with a grey adamsish semi-floaty or big ant. They're not picky yet, and those that are actively feeding above or below haven't hesitated to come up to a decent presentation. Didn't get a shot of the mayfly.

Frank R. Pisciotta
05-28-2009, 10:09 AM
plenty of BIG flying ants all day.

Locally, around Truckee we saw a ton of black flying ants, briefly (one day) about 10-12 days ago when we experienced the first really hot day here. Since then they've disappeared...maybe they'll make another appearance.

Currently, we're on the Green Drake and Golden Stone adult watch :ninja:...think nymphs:nod: The emergences will most likely start in Nevada and progressively proceed upstream throught the "canyon" and then the slower waters below town.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Foxyanne
05-28-2009, 04:12 PM
I fished for a couple of hours on Tuesday 5-7 pm and did really well on micro golden stones, rebber legged prince, and wooly buggers.

EricW
06-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Locally, around Truckee we saw a ton of black flying ants, briefly (one day) about 10-12 days ago when we experienced the first really hot day here. Since then they've disappeared...maybe they'll make another appearance.

Frank, Are they always so spotty? Tied to the first hot days? I was pretty amazed at how many there were on the 23rd&24th which was a scorcher weekend, but not a one last week.

Frank R. Pisciotta
06-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Frank, Are they always so spotty?
My recollection is that they'll appear and be around for 5-7 days. Although last year, they had a similar one-day intense appearance and were gone.

Tied to the first hot days?
Seems to be, although Ralph's theory was they appear during the first heavily pollen day...which may be related to hot weather.

I was pretty amazed at how many there were on the 23rd&24th which was a scorcher weekend, but not a one last week.
Yeah same here, the first day you mention was when they were heavy...actually in Truckee the last two days I've seen several..but no serious numbers on/or near the moving water

Frank R. Pisciotta

jigger
06-03-2009, 06:25 PM
As a home owner, I can't stand the horrid things
Glad the winged beasts have been few for a couple years.
Mays caddis and stones don't want to move in with you:D

EricW
06-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the info Frank. As a working stiff, it's hard to pin down a hatch or even realize when I've lucked into something rare. Tell me if you need some of these big fresh-tied ants that'll be stowed until next year #-o

Jigger, Just start charging rent!

troutkid
06-05-2009, 06:18 PM
My new nickname for the Truckee- The "TRICKEE" river. can't expect to slay it- usally when i start hooking into fish something goes wrong like leader issues or hook shanks snapping!

Frank R. Pisciotta
06-06-2009, 07:40 PM
I do not know the orgin of the names, but some local anglers call the big Truckee the "toughy" and the Little Truckee the "Little Tricky" I call them the "BT" or "LT"

Frank R. Pisciotta

Rich Leonetti
06-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I think you call both the Truckee and the Little Truckee, tricky, toughy or downright frustrating at times. I am a little partial to the Little Truckee because thats where I caught my first trout on a fly rod.

Now for a quick report, I went to the Truckee on Saturday hoping that I would luck out and it wouldn't be raining. That was not very bright. I fished for 4 hours and brought 2 fish to hand. I also missed two fish on a dry dropper rig. I'd like to say they were going after the dry but since my glasses were covered in rain drops it me have been the tail slash from them chasing the dropper. Neither of the two fish I landed were much to brag about but it was nice to take my brand new Winston out for the first time and not get skunked.

EricW
06-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Was able to get out between rain sheets to a couple of the sheltered spots. Water was a touch more colored than the previous few days. There was an excellent rise lower down of those small speckled caddis (glossosoma?); this was 5-8pm. Got a couple hits on 16 ECcaddis but figured out they were really after sub-surface emerger. Try a Emergent Sparkle Caddis as a trailer in the head of the pool below the riffles.

jigger
06-08-2009, 07:11 PM
The truckee was a mess with mayflies yesterday. In the morning was a steady stream of tiny greys (20) - bwo?. Main hatch was pmd with some march browns and small cream yellows - don't know what else to call em. A solitary caddis scurried up my arm. Even big 18 yellow midges with long gangly legs. Lot's of dead bugs in the slack. The swallows were jubilant
More bugs than fish. All day two for four.
*** I FOUND A FLY BOX. DESCRIBE IT, I'LL SEND IT ***

EricO
06-09-2009, 02:28 PM
The truckee was a mess with mayflies yesterday. In the morning was a steady stream of tiny greys (20) - bwo?. Main hatch was pmd with some march browns and small cream yellows - don't know what else to call em. A solitary caddis scurried up my arm. Even big 18 yellow midges with long gangly legs. Lot's of dead bugs in the slack. The swallows were jubilant
More bugs than fish. All day two for four.

Jigger. It's rectangular in shape. Has flies in it.

Thanks a million,

EO

bonneville54
06-11-2009, 02:57 PM

Check your PM's....

troutkid
06-15-2009, 07:31 AM
went out yesterday into the canyon hoping to escape crowds,etc, but couldn't quite beat the ranger- After fishing the T weekly for a few months now, it was the first time i was checked by DFG and the funny thing was it wasn't on Glenshire but way down a lonely dirt road! make sure you're fishing barbless out there...

Rich Leonetti
06-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Come on man give up the report.....LOL

troutkid
06-15-2009, 05:12 PM
hahaha, funny guy! As far as a report goes- relatively slow, a few hook ups here and there, biggest thing i landed was a $8.00 pack of Thingamabobers- i was pleased to bring my catch home.

gilligan
06-15-2009, 06:25 PM
I would take Bill's advice and come and fish the Truckee now untill the beginning of August. Fishing has been really good and will only get better in the next couple weeks. If you have a hard time on the Truckee now would be a good time to get up here. We have PMD's hatching, a few Yellow stones, and Caddis, along with some Baetis still. Everyone is waiting for the Green Drakes to arrive along with the big eveinng Caddis hatches. I think the cool rainy weather is extending these hatches a few weeks out. I have been mostly using a streamer, or a dry dropper rig, with the big ones eating my Green Drake Nymph. Flows are now at Summer levels and everything is lush and green up here along the river. Should be a great summer! I would add some photos, but usually my wife does that and she's still at work, so check out my blog. Thanks....

www.gilligansguideservice.blogspot.com