PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Kistler Ranch

jerry from sac
05-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Is Kistler Ranch open only to fly clubs or can an individule fish it? I can't find a web site or phone number. If you have a phone number please help me out.
-
- thanks much
- jerry

Scott V
05-19-2009, 08:36 AM
I found a phone number - 209-984-5600.

Post any information you might get, thanks.

fishinjohnny
05-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Back in the day Kistler Ranch was open to single anglers for a small fee but in the past few years Steve has gone to renting out the ponds by reservation only. I believe the fee is $350 per day. I just put a call in to confirm that. I will get the rate and the phone number to call for reservations and post when he calls me back. It is a beautiful place to fish. I have been lucky enough to be friends with their kids and hang out at the ranch for the last 7 or 8 years. FYI: The ranch hosts a childrens camp 5 or 6 weeks in the summer and will be closed during those times.

David Lee
05-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Back in the day Kistler Ranch was open to single anglers for a small fee but in the past few years Steve has gone to renting out the ponds by reservation only. I believe the fee is $350 per day. I just put a call in to confirm that. I will get the rate and the phone number to call for reservations and post when he calls me back. It is a beautiful place to fish. I have been lucky enough to be friends with their kids and hang out at the ranch for the last 7 or 8 years. FYI: The ranch hosts a childrens camp 5 or 6 weeks in the summer and will be closed during those times.

So , how's the fishing there ??

David

fishinjohnny
05-19-2009, 05:41 PM
When I was conventional fishing a few years ago we used to rack up huge numbers of 1-2 pounders. We would use pontoons boats and find a spot where they were holding, we used heavy rubber worms and caught fish consistantly all day. Since I have switched over to fly fishing only, my learning curve has been a little steep out there. I figured I would get out there like I used to and knock 'em dead, but have found that I catch a lot more crappie than anything. I have a few solutions to figure the bass out but haven't been able to test them. A couple things I am thinking about are using a faster sinking line that will get down deeper to where the bass are holding and also use bigger flies that crappie will hopefully leave only. Don't get me wrong the crappie are big and angry and a heck of a good time but it will be fun trying to dial in the bass fishing out there. I recommend fishing it if you get the chance. I'll be out there this weekend seeing if the fiberglass repairs to my drift boat are satisfactory and will report how the fishing is. I will also get some info from Steve about availability, price, and dates for this year. John

jerry from sac
05-19-2009, 06:52 PM
fishinjohnny,
First, let me thank you for the info. I'll be looking forward to any additional info you might post.
What types of boats can you launch there?
-
- thanks again
- jerry

David Lee
05-19-2009, 08:34 PM
I have the cure for the 'big/angry' Crappies ......

I'll have to let Steve know that I'm available to thin them out a bit - just out of concern for the public's safety , you know .

Thanks for the info John !

David

PS - Jerry -are you the same Jerry that saved the anchor w/ me a few weeks back ??????

fishinjohnny
05-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Boats at Kistler: Basically your personal style watercraft. Float tubes, pontoon boats, prams, canoes, etc. No motors allowed. There are three seperate ponds to fish in. I prefer the biggest one closest to the barn. Kistlers is also a working cattle ranch so be prepared for horses digging through the back of your truck and such.
http://www.kistlercamp.com/ This is the website to their summer camp site. Nothing on here about fishing groups but it has the number and address anyway. It is a sweet place to send your kids for a week.

jerry from sac
05-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Yes David, it's me.
-
- jerry

briansII
05-20-2009, 04:06 PM
I was recently told the rental fee was much more than $350 a day. The cost could be offset by the amount of anglers allowed to fish. If you get different information, I would love to hear it.

briansII

Scott V
05-20-2009, 05:51 PM
We should do a trip witha bunch of people on the board. If everyone chipped in it would be alot more affordable. I would be up for going.

fishinjohnny
05-20-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm still waiting to hear back from Steve Kistler so I can verify the rates and I will get the days still available and post them.

epzamora
05-21-2009, 02:25 AM
i'm interested in joining a kiene's group though i'm not a really active participant on this board (though i do visit it often).

eric
fresno, ca.

fishinjohnny
05-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Finally talked to the Kistlers. The only weekend available is Jun 6 and 7. Other than that she told me that any weekday is available until camp starts. The cost is $350 per day for any amount of anglers. I'm not sure if they take reservations after camp but the place usually gets hammered everyday for a month and a half so probably needs a little break. I'll be fishing there Monday and I'll post a report on how it went. John

fishinjohnny
06-03-2009, 08:57 PM
I forgot to post a report after I went to Kistlers. Fishing was slow, 2 bass to boat for the guys using rubber worms. I threw a wooly bugger for a minute then decided to keep the boat steady in the wind. It sure isn't what it used to be. We used to bring one in every other cast or so. I hope to use the place to do some studies for my fish biology degree. With any luck we can get that place turned around and make it a local destination fishery.

lee s.
06-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Fished Kistler once with a group set up by Loretta last spring. Did REAL well on LM's useing top-water "frogs". Three ponds to ply. GREAT place. Lots of fish. Not big fish......but plenty fish.
....lee s.
PS....Put Susan and I down if you'se guys plan an outing. :-)