PDA

View Full Version : East walker info

kingfisher
05-18-2009, 10:16 PM
This is going to be my first time at the walker......Just wanted to know what areas are going to be fishable........and was patterns are common there...if anyone can help....... Thanks.....

Rob P
05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
My first ever flyfishing experience was on the EW. Had no no clue what I was doing. Asked a guy fishing there what kind of flies to use and he said any standard nymph pattern. I had no idea what a nymph was. I pulled out my fly box and he pointed out the nypmhs. So I tied on what I later learned was a hare's ear and after a while of tossing and tangling I hooked the best trout ever, up to that point, of my life. It was a huge football shaped brown at least 20 inches. It made a few jumps and then it was gone. From that point forward I was hooked.

Since then I to make back there at least 2x a year. I have gotten to know some of the local guides there just from hanging out on the water. Andrew Sears and Scott Freeman probably fish that place more than anyone. You can find them on Walkerriveroutfitters.com.

WD-40s in chocolate or green, hares ears, pheasant tails, san juan worms, micromays, and zebra midges all in size 18 to 22 have been the ticket for me. Although I haven't made it up there yet this year. Every year those flies produce.

Even though I know what to use. I will still ask Andrew which flies. He says it's not as important as what to use aside from the standard selection as it is the proper presentation. Another thing Andrew taught me is that when the flows bump up it usually takes a day or so for the fishing to get back to normal.

As far as where to fish, I stay within the first 1/2 mile of the dam. There is a lot of good access along that stretch. If you try to fish further down stream on the eastern side of HWY 395 the access is a little harder.

Also, check out Ken's Sporting Goods in Bridgeport for more info.

Dave Neal
05-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Kingfisher, Rob P had great advice on flies etc...(Andrew and Scott ARE both extremely fishy dudes and very approachable, also!)

Right now, have plenty of midges: #18-22 Wd-40's all colors, Zebra's etc. Have some Barr's pmd and bwo emergers, and other small #20-22 baetis nymphs, for the caddis have plenty of tan Lafontaine's Sparkle Pupa's or Translucent Caddis pupa's, EC Caddis and good ol' Elk Hair Caddis.

We have experienced some great dry fly fishing this week during all these hatches, especially when the fish are on the caddis.

One last thing, the "Miracle Mile" has great fishing spots, big fish etc. However, this season there are A LOT of fish in the river (thanks in large part to Mike Morrison @ DFG) and they are all spread out... they are everywhere.

The Miracle Mi. is popular and for good reason. For that it can be very crowded, too. There are tons of great runs all the way down this river (just ask any NV local) and access is actually pretty good, it takes some exploring but can be very much worth it. Have fun.

matooka
05-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Don't forget a few #16 sparkling green SCUDS as well!

kingfisher
05-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks alot for the helpful info.....If im fishing the Navada side do i need a navada fishing licence....And if i do how much?.......

Chris Evison
05-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Kingfisher- Yes you need a Nevada lic $18 for 1st day and $7 for each consecutive day. The Nv. side gets a lot less pressure with quality fishing. I guided there on Sun. and we didn't see another person. I think you can get a Nv. lic. at Ken's. If you see Scott around ask about Nv. side. He is the only person I know that has spent as much time on Rosaschi Ranch section or more time than I do! I don't know if they are permitted for guiding on Nv. side.

On sunday there was a good baetis hatch but no fish showing on surface. Sz 16 copper john best fly that day. If it clouds up and there are hatches the fish will surface feed. Loads of caddis in river also. At thse flows the biggest fish are often taken on streamers. Don't be afraid to chuck some meat around. All other sugestions for flies were right on. There are times when a san juan worm rules on Nv. side.

Good Luck!

Chris

troutbm
05-27-2009, 03:28 PM
I think you can purchase a nevada license online. The whole river is great, just park and start hitting it. The one spot on that river that I often have wondered and thought about is like a swampy pond spot called murphys pond I think. I bet theres some nice fish in there, But looks like it would be very diffucult to fish it.

davkrat
05-28-2009, 05:37 PM
I drove by the E Walker today and saw about 30 cars in all the pulloffs the first mile or so below the Dam. I did not see one single car all the way to the Nevada state line? Is that first mile really that good? It looked like Upper Sunrise Combat fishing. If I drive that far to fish I know one thing, I do not intend to be shoulder to shoulder with any other fisherman.

Dean Y.
09-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Would these fly recs by Rob P and Dave N. work in late July early September?

If not, what would work about now? I've always wanted to pull over and fish the Walker along 395. Now that I've finally started to fly fish, I wanna give it a try. I'd appreciate any recommendations on this. Thanks!

Kingfisher, Rob P had great advice on flies etc...(Andrew and Scott ARE both extremely fishy dudes and very approachable, also!)

Right now, have plenty of midges: #18-22 Wd-40's all colors, Zebra's etc. Have some Barr's pmd and bwo emergers, and other small #20-22 baetis nymphs, for the caddis have plenty of tan Lafontaine's Sparkle Pupa's or Translucent Caddis pupa's, EC Caddis and good ol' Elk Hair Caddis.

We have experienced some great dry fly fishing this week during all these hatches, especially when the fish are on the caddis.

One last thing, the "Miracle Mile" has great fishing spots, big fish etc. However, this season there are A LOT of fish in the river (thanks in large part to Mike Morrison @ DFG) and they are all spread out... they are everywhere.

The Miracle Mi. is popular and for good reason. For that it can be very crowded, too. There are tons of great runs all the way down this river (just ask any NV local) and access is actually pretty good, it takes some exploring but can be very much worth it. Have fun.

Dave Neal
09-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Flydabbler,

Fly selection on most streams will change with the season. What's hatching in July may not be still hatching in September. Also, with each passing week there may be different generations of the same bugs and sizes may vary, usually to smaller sizes.

I guided the Walker yesterday. We are still smiling. There are lots of tricos in the late morning, tons of midges from huge to tiny, and caddis are out and about as well.

Our best flies were #22-24 trico patterns, brown Fox's Caddis Poopah, midge patterns, and small PT's.

We had great dry fly fishing in the a.m. and nymph fished most of the afternoon.

It was cold in the morning, and at 1:30 p.m. water temperature was 65 degrees. I believe the flows were still holding around 150cfs.

One last thing, your reference to the "Walker along 395" may be the West Walker? This river is a freestone river and may fish a little different than the East Walker coming out of Bridgeport Reservoir which is a tailwater river. Both have their own unique personalities, entomology, and time of the year when they fish the best.

Dave Neal
09-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Just in case it was not obvious, this thread was originally started a few months ago. I updated the EW fish conditions above in my last post... to answer flydabbler's questions.

I also want to mention, on the topic of CA guides who are permitted to fish the EW in Nevada... mentioned above. Scott Freeman, who works out of Ken's, is indeed permitted to guide the EW in Nevada (through another shop) and my good buddy Brad McFall is also permitted for Nevada as well (through Reno Fly Shop)

I don't want to take anything away from the good guides around Tahoe/Reno who also guide this water...but Scott actually lives ON the river in NV and Brad's own DNA has molecules of EW attached to it. Both these top guides are among many who love to fish this river and know it inside and out, top to bottom.

Dean Y.
09-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Thank you, Dave.
I was indeed referring to the W. Walker river from south of the Monitor Pass area to just north of Bridgeport on the 395. I drive by that area when I visit the Sierras and always wanted to fish it. However, I usually stay closer to the Mammoth Lakes area. My typical location combined with my current abilities (novice) had me thinking that I'd just like to give it a try on the way in or out. Do you have experience in the W. Walker?

I notice that you guide the Hot Creek area. I've always wanted to fish that area too. Perhaps, I'll look you up sometime in the future.

Flydabbler,

Fly selection on most streams will change with the season. What's hatching in July may not be still hatching in September. Also, with each passing week there may be different generations of the same bugs and sizes may vary, usually to smaller sizes.

I guided the Walker yesterday. We are still smiling. There are lots of tricos in the late morning, tons of midges from huge to tiny, and caddis are out and about as well.

Our best flies were #22-24 trico patterns, brown Fox's Caddis Poopah, midge patterns, and small PT's.

We had great dry fly fishing in the a.m. and nymph fished most of the afternoon.

It was cold in the morning, and at 1:30 p.m. water temperature was 65 degrees. I believe the flows were still holding around 150cfs.

One last thing, your reference to the "Walker along 395" may be the West Walker? This river is a freestone river and may fish a little different than the East Walker coming out of Bridgeport Reservoir which is a tailwater river. Both have their own unique personalities, entomology, and time of the year when they fish the best.