PDA

View Full Version : Flathead in August

Rifflerat
05-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Anyone fished the Flathead in late August? I'll be there for about a week.

Mike O
05-20-2009, 12:26 PM
I fished the flathead middle fork around essex about 8 years ago. Just W of Essex in a pool by a "boat launch", more like a raft put in. This was my first year of FFing. Caught a few. Matter of fact, in 3 successive casts, I caught a rainbow, a cut, and a whitefish. That totally hooked me on ffing.

Tony P
05-21-2009, 07:21 AM
Best thing to do is get in touch with a local fly shop. Here is one in Whitefish.

http://www.lakestream.com/index.html

Tony P

GeoB
05-24-2009, 06:39 AM
I've fished it above Hungry Horse around Spotted Bear a couple of times. It fishes very nicely for local cutts. Getting to Spotted Bear is a challenge - a long drive from Kalispell, but an easy flight to the Forest Service strip at Spotted Bear. There's an excellent campsite at the south end of the strip if you're so inclined. Very few people on the river - there are guided float trips as well.

Good luck.

George

JayDubP
05-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Are you flying into Kalispell or anotehr airport- or are you driving from ? ?

Rifflerat
06-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. We're flying into Missoula.

Mike

GeoB
06-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Why the Flathead? Clark Fork and the Bitterroot are right there out of Missoula!

g

mikel
06-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Rifflerat...it's been years for me, but if you're just fishing down low be aware they generate power intermittantly on the lower river and the flows can fluctuate wildly during the day. I wouldn't say it's dangerous, but the first time I was in the river and the water started climbing my waders it got my attention. Puts the fish off the bite too as I recall. Those cutties like orange stimis a lot.

That Clark Fork might be the prettiest place on the planet.

-Mike

Rifflerat
06-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Heh heh.. err the little lady booked a week away for us. We're flying into Missoula and driving up to Whitefish. Nice place on the river. Hopefully I'll sneak my rod along with me. She has it all planned out for us but I think I can get a day to check out the fishing. Don't want to do a float trip, just want to find a area I can wade and mabey hook into a lunker.

Kyo
06-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Fished the Middle Fork of the Flathead two years ago between the Moccasin Creek Access and West Glacier. It's sort of like a whitewater and flyfishing trip all in one. Some anglers prefer the North Fork to avoid the highway of recreational boaters but the year we went all guides were very professional and even had their patrons pull their oars back when passing us.

Fish sizes were rubber stamped into the 10-12" range. Nice cutties taking dries left and right making us look like we knew what we were doing. Of course we had a guide so that helped. The lunkers you mention might be found down stream where all the forks converge. Seems like the average size fish caught below Hungry Horse is a lot bigger like 12-18" your results may vary . . . :D

Middle Fork is not for everyone. We have more than a passing interest in Trains and the BNSF transcon mainline follows the river all the way.

Also hit the outlet at Lake MacDonald which is worth the park fee just to stand there given the awesome beauty. Fish were very picky there but did manage a few.

You'll have a great time . . .

-k-