PDA

View Full Version : Rivers of a Lost Coast Swap?

jim p
05-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Hope I’m not out of line here, but how about sometime before the middle of summer someone host a “Rivers of a Lost Coast Swap?” Everyone tie up a North Coast steelhead pattern from tiers such as Lloyd Silvius, Jim Pray, Jack Horner, and so on... Maybe trying to keep it as close to the original or common tye as best as possible.

Being an infrequent poster and rather new member I thought it improper to offer to host the swap myself. I will however, gladly help whoever wishes to host.

Thought it would be great to put together a collection of these flies. Maybe give one to Bill to put up in Kiene’s? Any interest or thoughts?

P.S. I will probably host a similar swap on another site even if this one goes. Want to spread the story around. But giving the closeness to the history and it being in our own backyard I thought this would be the place.

UPDATED INFO :
:D Allrighty, we have a swap. Due date July 17. There are ten tyers with a nice selection of old-time steelhead flies.

Everyone will need to tie a minimum of 10 flies of the pattern signed up with. That would give 9 to distribute to your fellow swappers and 1 for Kiene's. If you wish to tie one up for an auction set send it in with the rest.

9 - swappers
1 - Kiene's
1 - auction___(optional)
11 total if all-in

Swappers, let me know when you’re ready and I’ll pm my mailing address. Please toe tag the flies and send them in a crush-proof container. Also include a self-addressed stamped envelope to return your set of swap flies in. Thanks for joining.

Jim P. – Fall Favorite and Thor (done and done)
Hairstacker – Skunk, received
David Lee – Mossback, drop
Darian – Juicy Bug, , received
Xnjb707X – Brindle Bug, received
slage – Burlap, received
Mike R. – Silver Demon, received
Terry Thomas – Gualala Chicken Wing, address sent
Bruce Slightom – Orleans Barber and Silver Hilton, received
nrthcsteel – Boss, received

Hairstacker
05-18-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm always game for a swap on this board but I must fess up to some ignorance :oops: . . . I'm not terribly familiar with the flies that would comprise such a swap. Is there an online listing or reference of some sort that would identify the specific fly patterns that would fall into this category?

dpentoney
05-18-2009, 07:09 PM
I could maybe post some pictures of the real deal. I have a few flies that Lloyd Silvius tied...Eel River optics, maybe a McReynolds, maybe some others. I also have a half dozen flies that Ben Anderson tied, who started flyfishing the Eel in 1911.....

Trey Combs has pictures in his steelhead flyfishing books with a lot of information as to who developed a lot of different fly patterns.

jim p
05-18-2009, 09:16 PM
I could maybe post some pictures of the real deal.

Now that is what I’m talking about. Thanks dpentoney, that would be incredible if you would.

I'm always game for a swap on this board but I must fess up to some ignorance :oops: . . . I'm not terribly familiar with the flies that would comprise such a swap. Is there an online listing or reference of some sort that would identify the specific fly patterns that would fall into this category?

Hairstacker, I’m in the same boat as you. Maybe I need a new hobby but with all the talk about the movie and the state of the fisheries here in California I’ve gotten pretty intrigued about North Coast steelheading and salmon fishing. There really isn’t an online listing that has been consolidated. The info is pretty spread out and limited. At least from what I’ve found so far.

I am by no means anywhere close to being knowledgeable or even a little informed when it comes to this arena. That would be the idea behind this swap, to learn a little something about some of the flies originating out of the North Coast and the people who tied them.

I am familiar with some of the patterns but it is very limited. You probably know some of the patterns as well. Here is a quick list of some flies I picked out of “Flies for Steelhead,” By Dick Stewart and Farrow Allen; Brindle Bug, Comet, Eel River Optic, Thor, Skunk, Horner Deer Hair Fly, and Horner's Shrimp.

The Horner shrimp is from Jack Horner, who is also the originator of the Humpy. Jim Pray originated the Thor and the Optic patterns, and Silvius did the Brindle Bug and the Comet. These are just to name a few tiers and a very small sampling of their flies. The origins of some of these flies will be the subject of debate. Heck, they were when they were originated, but that is part of it.

I don’t know, we’ll see where this goes. Besides you and I, there has been more interest in joining the swap if it flies (so to speak). It would be great to swap some of these flies and get some input from those who are “in-the-know” with respect to this history.

David Lee
05-18-2009, 09:42 PM
If you DO do the Swap ......

Put me down for a Mossback , #8 or #10 - killer , old timey Steelhead fly (Coastal , if you consider the Kalamath below Iron Gate a 'coastal' stream ....) .

You should Host , Jim .

David

Darian
05-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Hmmmm,.... I thought the McReynolds was a LLoyd Silvious pattern and Eel River Optics were Jim Prays patterns.... At any rate, this swap would be interesting. Count me in for a pattern to be determined.... :D

The names of many of those tiers brings back some memories. There're quite s few that could be named in addition to those listed.... :D

jim p
05-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Great response so far.

David, I would be pleased to host the swap if acceptable to everyone.

Darian, thanks for the info on the Eel River Optics. That's what I thought the book said. Also, please share as much as you wish.

Xnjb707X pm'd me wanting to join with a Brindle Bug.

Hairstacker, I'll take the "always game for swap" as an I'm in.

What do you think the limit of swappers should be?

So far we have:
Jim P. - TBD
Hairstacker - TBD
David Lee - Mossback
Darian - TBD
Xnjb707X - Brindle Bug

Hairstacker
05-19-2009, 12:47 AM
Ok, just to be clear, I'm in! :) If I may, I'd like to reserve "The Skunk" as the fly pattern I will tie, as it seems by a miracle of Providence, that this fly pattern was presciently named oh so many years ago not only for its appearance (i.e., white over black wing) but also potentially for the type of flies I may turn out in this swap. :lol:

Jim, by the way, I second David's notion that you host and thank you for being willing to do so.

slage
05-19-2009, 06:21 AM
Put me down for the Burlap.

wjorg
05-19-2009, 11:57 AM
The Golden Gate Park Casting Ponds Clubhouse has some of these original flies mounted inside if any of you are able to swing by and look at them....

Mike R
05-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Why not? I'm in... gotta figure out a fly.

jim p
05-19-2009, 06:38 PM
I could maybe post some pictures of the real deal. I have a few flies that Lloyd Silvius tied...Eel River optics, maybe a McReynolds, maybe some others. I also have a half dozen flies that Ben Anderson tied, who started flyfishing the Eel in 1911.....

Trey Combs has pictures in his steelhead flyfishing books with a lot of information as to who developed a lot of different fly patterns.
Hi dpentoney, from what Darian notes and what i’ve read, the Eel River Optic was originated by Jim Pray. However, the book “Fish Flies,” By Terry Hellekson, pg 481 does state the following about the fly;

“In later years Lloyd Silvius started tying this fly with a black head and white eyes with red centers, and his variation was accepted. The pattern came to be known as either the “Mickey Optic” or “Red and Yellow Optic.””

Of course this doesn’t preclude Silvius from tying Jim Pray’s Eel River Optic. Tiers tie other people’s creations all the time. It would be really cool to see these flies. Please post some pictures if you get a chance.

jim p
05-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Looks like we have a swap in the making\\:D/. Thank for joining everyone and all the information offered. Please keep it coming.

Hairstacker, The Skunk it is, and hosting this swap will be my pleasure, thanks

slage, you’re in with the Burlap, an Arnold Arana pattern circa 1942

wjorg, thanks for the information. I am planning on stopping by the ponds sometime in June. The wife and I just recently just started stopping by there. Never been in the club house though. That setup is something else, beautiful to say the least.

Mike R, you’re in. Let us know when you decide on a pattern.

How about we limit the number of swappers to 12? I’ll wait until we fill the swap before choosing a pattern. We can also set a due date after we fill up the swap as well.

So far we have 7 people signed up:
Jim P. - TBD
Hairstacker - Skunk
David Lee - Mossback
Darian - TBD
Xnjb707X - Brindle Bug
slage – Burlap
Mike R – TBD

Terry Thomas
05-20-2009, 08:51 AM
One of the flies developed on the Gualala River was the Chicken Wing. I'll tie up some of those for the group.
Terry

Mike R
05-20-2009, 11:38 AM
One idea that might be good to try is to put some sort of artowrk together out of the swap flies. We could try to get the filmmakers to dign a poster and frame it with the flies around it. One could go to Kien'e and another set up to auction/raffle with the proceeds going towards Native Fish Society or Wild Steelhead Coalition. Just a thought....

Also, I'll thumb through Combs' book tonight and see if I get inspired.

See ya, Mike

dpentoney
05-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi dpentoney, from what Darian notes and what i’ve read, the Eel River Optic was originated by Jim Pray. However, the book “Fish Flies,” By Terry Hellekson, pg 481 does state the following about the fly;

“In later years Lloyd Silvius started tying this fly with a black head and white eyes with red centers, and his variation was accepted. The pattern came to be known as either the “Mickey Optic” or “Red and Yellow Optic.””

Of course this doesn’t preclude Silvius from tying Jim Pray’s Eel River Optic. Tiers tie other people’s creations all the time. It would be really cool to see these flies. Please post some pictures if you get a chance.

I have some flies that Lloyd Silvius tied in the '60s. Among them is the Mickey Finn optic.
I just said he tied it, not that he developed it. I believe I have some other of his optics, but haven't had the chance to look......

Bruce Slightom
05-20-2009, 05:23 PM
The McReynolds was originated by Clarence McReynolds, his family still lives in Eureka. The Mossback was orginated by Larry Simpson who was the owner of Time Flies in Arcata.

I am in for an Orleans Barber and a Sliver Hilton.

jim p
05-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for joining Terry.

We now have 8 people signed up.

Jim P. - TBD
Hairstacker - Skunk
David Lee - Mossback
Darian - TBD
Xnjb707X - Brindle Bug
slage – Burlap
Mike R – TBD
Terry Thomas – Gualala Chicken Wing

One idea that might be good to try is to put some sort of artowrk together out of the swap flies. We could try to get the filmmakers to dign a poster and frame it with the flies around it. One could go to Kien'e and another set up to auction/raffle with the proceeds going towards Native Fish Society or Wild Steelhead Coalition. Just a thought....

Also, I'll thumb through Combs' book tonight and see if I get inspired.

See ya, Mike

Mike R shared this thought with me earlier and I thought it was pretty good and suggested he post it. I personally would be happy to help put something together. I can take care of the framing and such. That kind of stuff is no problem.

It would mean however, that everyone would have to tie one more extra fly. One for the auction set and one for the Kiene set. So at 12 tyers in the swap, that would be 13 flies unless the tyer wants one of their own back, then it’s 14. We can also limit the number of swappers to 10 to reduce the overall number of flies.

What say you group? Are you game or do you want to keep it to a simple swap?

jim p
05-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks for joining Bruce, will put you down for the two patterns. I was wondering if we were going to see an Orleans Barber. In light of the possibility of tying up extras for a donation piece do you still want to tie the 2 patterns?

I’ll go ahead and put in with a Fall Favorite and Thor. We now have 9 people signed up with 11 patterns.

Jim P. – Fall Favorite and Thor
Hairstacker – Skunk
David Lee – Mossback
Darian – TBD
Xnjb707X – Brindle Bug
slage – Burlap
Mike R. – TBD
Bruce Slightom – Orleans Barber and Silver Hilton

It sure is looking good. This going to be a quite a set of flies when it’s all said and done.

Hairstacker
05-20-2009, 06:41 PM
What say you group? Are you game or do you want to keep it to a simple swap?

I'm game for whatever everyone else decides. :)

Bruce Slightom
05-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Jim, no problem.

Darian
05-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Actually,.... considering how much trouble it is for participants to make the deadlines (based on past history), expanding the number of patterns to be contributed will undoubtedly compound that problem. :confused: On that basis, I vote to allow each to contribute a minimum of one pattern and any more voluntarily. :cool:

jim p
05-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Darian, I agree completely. I've seen deadlines that ended up being moving targets as well.

As an aside: any bonus patterns tied, or any extras that are going to be used for any donation or gift, is purely voluntary. I hope no one felt roped into something they never signed up for. Sorry I didn't make that the understanding earlier on.

Swaps are supposed to be fun. Signing up, or being signed up, for something that turns it into a bummer is no good, or even fair for that matter.

jim p
05-21-2009, 07:20 AM
:) Here's where we are to date:

Hairstacker – Skunk
David Lee – Mossback
Darian – TBD
Xnjb707X – Brindle Bug
slage – Burlap
Mike R. – TBD

We have 9 tyers with room for up to 3 more. At this point everyone will need to tie at least 9 copies of the pattern(s) signed up for. This is going to be a quite a set of flies when it’s all said and done. \\:D/

If you wish to tie an extra fly for the auction set just include it when you send the regular swap set. :)

Mike R
05-21-2009, 06:01 PM
I am trying to nail down a pattern but am coming up empty. I am lookingfor a good picture and recipe for a silver demon (Jim pray pattern) but can't seem to find one. Any thoughts? I have also thought about a Night Owl or a Railbird.

I guess my fall back would be a comet but I really enjoy tying winged patterns more.

Mike

Darian
05-21-2009, 10:03 PM
This probably won't help you much but all of the patterns you've asked about were pictured and described in a book titled: FLY-TYING by William Bayard Sturgis. It was written in 1940. So, it's as old as I am. :eek: Published thru Charles Scribner's Sons (not sure they're still around). You could try some antique or rare book dealers for a copy. :neutral: This book contains descriptions of these patterns in feather wing design. Of course, you could easily substitute hair or fur and be within acceptable limits.... 8)

I'll send you a PM with whatever I can copy and include the pattern recipes.... This may take a bit of time as I'm preparing for a trip to Baja next week. So, please bear with me.... ;)

Jay Murakoshi
05-23-2009, 05:50 AM
there are a couple patterns that were also popular on the north coast rivers. They are the gold and silver comet. I'd get in but I don't think I'd have them in time. 4 more weeks in baja and counting

Jay

Terry Thomas
05-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Mike,
From Terry Hellekson's book:
Silver Doctor

Hook: E.C. 1197N sizes 2-8
Thread: Black
Tail: Orange hackle fibers
Body: Oval silver tinsel. Wrap an underbody of white floss to give the body a full taper. Wrap the tinsel under the tail for a tip before wrapping the body.
Tail: Gray squirrel tail
Terry

nrthcsteel
05-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Ok this sounds good. Im in. Was reading through and was thinking comets and noticed a couple mentions of them. Since Jay has his hands full!!!!! in Baja!!!! and MikeR already called dibs on a comet as a possible backup, Ill do a Boss. Kevin

nrthcsteel
05-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Oh yeah. Im good with tying extras for raffles and Kienes or whatnot. A couple two or three extra is no problem for me. If its decided to do a couple of sets for this purpose Id be glad to tie up a couple of complete sets of comet fly variations listed in Trey Combs Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies as well as the bosses for the swap. Kevin

jim p
05-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey Mike,

I looked up the book Darian mentioned and it is available through Amazon. I'm going to pick up one.

Here is a link to a Silver Demon with the featherwing.

http://www.rareandunusual.com/crssilverdemon.html

The one Terry got from Hellekson's book has the hair wing. Can't seem to find a good picture of it though. You can Google the Golden Demon (here's one link http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/oldflies/part146.php ) and get a good idea of what the hairwing version looks like and substitute the dressing for the silver. Maybe tie one up, post it and see if you can get some input from fellow board members as to the "trueness" of the version.

Mey Mike, just found this one http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/lovelace76.html. It appears to follow pretty closely the recipe that Terry gave from Hellekson's book.

jim p
05-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks for joining Kevin; you’re in with the Boss.

Thanks for the offer on the Comets. Let’s see how the rest of the swap comes together. We haven’t set a due date yet. If we set it out there far enough maybe we can talk Jay into going ahead and tying up a set of Comets. What better way to recover from a trip to Baja than tying up some flies?

Here's where we're at:
Hairstacker – Skunk
David Lee – Mossback
Darian – TBD
Xnjb707X – Brindle Bug
slage – Burlap
Mike R. – TBD
nrthcsteel - Boss

Yep, this swap is shaping up nicely. 10 tiers signed up, 2 spots yet to be filled. How about we wait for week or so, then go ahead and close the swap and set a due date.

Darian
05-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Jim P,.... The photo of the Silver Demon you see in your link is a streamer version (Cairn's River Series). It's not the classic Steelhead pattern mentioned in the book or what I've seen. The basic colors are similar but proportions and some materials differ; as does the style of hook. :confused: For example, the tail used in the streamer is barred Wood Duck. In the original version, the tail is orange saddle hackle fibers. Further, the wing in the streamer is grizzly hackle and in the original, barred mallard breast feather. No Jungle Cock on the original either. The version I described to Mike R in my PM is one that I've seen, tied and used. Proportions for classic Steelhead patterns are fairly standardized and are also included in the book. :nod: Of course, in proper proportions, the streamer version would appear to be a beautiful fly.... :)

I've never seen this (streamer) version of the pattern attributed to C. Jim Pray elsewhere. So, I'm unable to confirm whether that's accurate or not. :confused:

Darian
05-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Just noticed the second link and see this as an updated, hairwing version of the original. Not many (if any) of the flies attributed to C. Jim Pray were tied on Salmon Irons. In the main, the style of hook he chose was similar to the Mustad 7948. They have a round bend, forged with a turned down eye and, in some cases, appear to be 1X short. Some of those hook models/styles are no longer available. :|

From everything I've read and seen described, the use of Salmon Irons in tying Steelhead flies is relatively new on the coastal rivers of California. I began tying these types of flies during the mid-60's and rarely saw anyone using blackened (japaned) Salmon Irons. It was more common in Oregon and washington and at an earlier point in time. :nod:

I guess I have to accept that change happens whether I think so or not.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

jim p
05-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Darian, thanks for the information on the Silver Demon. Recipes sure can very across different tiers. Sometimes finding an original dressing can be a challenge. Didn't think that the Cairn's River version would be very true to the original. Did think the Golden Demon from FAOL would be the closest, although with a silver body. Seemed more practical. Not likely to foul the hook like the long featherwing.

I was wondering about the Jungle Cock. It wasn't used on to many NC steelhead flies was it?

I'll hopefully have the Sturgis book by the middle of next week. Did you name a pattern yet for the swap?

Just saw your comment about hooks. I've been searching for "vintage" hooks. Not much success yet. The ones I have found are usually all rusted.

Darian
05-23-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure how important (or even possible) it is to be completely accurate to the original pattern.... :confused: Just fun to do it. :nod:

Jungle Cock was used extensively in Bucktail and featherwing patterns in NorCal and throughout the Northwest. I still have part of a Jungle Cock cape I bought in 1969 for $10.00. :eek: Some shrimp patterns used it as well. Again, the further north you go the more common its use. :) It was a lot cheaper then. So, the cost of it's use was not as restrictive. :cool:

Still haven't thought of a pattern, yet. I'm leaning towards an Oregon/NorCal pattern called a juicy bug. Simple but very good. Not committed to it yet, tho. :-k

Bob Scheidt
05-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Been following this thread. I do have the Sturgis book of 1940, I like those old tying books.

Must say I have to pass on this swap. I have alot on my plate right now. I did use a few of the dries from the last swap-- small streamin yesterday. You guys did good!!

Sorry,
Bob

Mike R
05-25-2009, 05:42 PM
I think I'm going to go for the Silver Demon mostly because I have a soft spot for classic patterns, especially hairwings. There seems to be some debate on the true ingredients to the pattern. For now, I'm leaning towards the orange tail/hackle version with a grey squirrel wing. But, if we find contrary info, that can change. I will most likely tie it on a
modern steelhead hook because that's what I fish.

I'll be out of touch for about 2 weeks so I won't be able to put any samples together for public scrutiny until then.

See ya,
Mike

Terry Thomas
05-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Mike,
I think you have a pretty good handle on the pattern. I also have been checking some of my old books...without a lot of success on the Jim Pray pattern. I did come across some interesting info. on the internet. I found the following from J. Edson Leonard's book, The Essential Fly Tier. Some good historical information. The steelhead information starts on page 199.

http://books.google.com/books?id=sV9v3oOsmhwC&pg=PA199&lpg=PA199&dq=C.+Jim+Pray&source=bl&ots=0WK5SHKBQ-&sig=EOLsAuJE7-p-yXAj1eoZeD0HOfQ&hl=en&ei=EEYbSqqHNIfCswPSwqHWCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#PPA191,M1

jim p
05-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Mike, great to hear you're going with the Silver Demon. I'll update the list.

I'll be out of touch for about 2 weeksHope it's for some fun n' games. We'll hear from you in a couple of weeks.

Terry, that was some good reading. Thanks for the link. That answered some of my questions about hook styles. Google books sure can come in handy.

Bob, sorry to see you're not joining us in the swap. Glad to hear the small streaming was good to you.

We did some driving this weekend. Didn't fish a lot but saw some great scenery. Came over the hill on 4 and was greeted by this
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5725/kinney2.th.jpg (http://img32.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kinney2.jpg)
One of the reasons I love fishing is because of the places the hunt for our quarry takes us.

Here's where we're at:
Hairstacker – Skunk
David Lee – Mossback
Darian – TBD
Xnjb707X – Brindle Bug
slage – Burlap
Mike R. – Silver Demon
nrthcsteel - Boss

Come on tiers, 2 spots yet to be filled.

Darian
05-27-2009, 01:07 PM
OK, I'll commit to tying the Juicy Bug for this swap. Think I might have enough double Salmon irons left to make a classic version. This pattern was developed in southern Oregon for the Rogue river but was/is used in the Klamath and Smith systems, as well.... :cool:

jim p
05-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Great Darian, got you listed for the Juicy Bug.

Here's where we're at:
Hairstacker – Skunk
David Lee – Mossback
Darian – Juicy Bug
Xnjb707X – Brindle Bug
slage – Burlap
Mike R. – Silver Demon
nrthcsteel - Boss

Thanks for joining everyone. How would a due date in mid or late July be for everyone? Summer time is pretty busy and a lot of people are traveling. Any thoughts?

slage
05-28-2009, 07:58 PM
First, thanks for hosting Jim. Very cool idea for a swap.
With how long this thread has already gotten, where are we with additions, extras, auctions, etc?

I kinda lost track of that in the shuffle.

I have a shadow box burning a hole in my pocket waiting for these.

nrthcsteel
05-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Im good with mid july or so. Im actually almost there with the bosses so Im good with any date.
Im also with Slage on the getting lost in the shuffle department, Be good to know a for sure on extras for auctions and Kienes Etc... and also with Slage on the thanks to Jim for hosting the swap. Definatly should be a great group of flies. Kevin

Hairstacker
05-29-2009, 06:33 AM
As suggested, I'm good with either mid or late July. Just so there's no confusion, it would be good to clarify how many flies each tyer is expected to send in. This is going to be a great box of flies, thanks for suggesting and hosting it Jim! :)

jim p
05-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Lets go ahead and close the sign-up for the swap and set the due date for July 17. There are ten tyers with a nice selection of old-timey steelhead flies.

Everyone will need to tie a minimum of 10 flies of the pattern signed up with. That would give 9 to distribute to your fellow swappers and 1 for Kiene's. If you wish to tie one up for an aucion set send it in with the rest.

9 - swappers
1 - Kiene's
1 - auction___(optional)
11 total if all-in

This is going to be a sweet collection of flies. Thanks everyone for joining the swap.:grin:

Darian
06-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Jim,.... In case I missed it.... You might consider sending the tyers a PM providing the mailing address for receipt of the flies. Also, any requirements for mailing/return, such as self addressed/stamped return envelopes.... :question: :question:

Just a thought.... :)

jim p
06-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Jim,.... In case I missed it....

Didn’t miss anything Darian, just caught me slacking off a little bit.:-\"

Swappers, let me know when you’re ready and I’ll pm my mailing address. Please toe tag the flies and send them in a crush-proof container. Also include a self-addressed stamped envelope to return your set of swap flies in.

Darian
06-14-2009, 12:02 PM
OK,.... My flies are done. Juicy Bug recipe:

Hook: Double Salmon hook, sizes 10 thru 4
Thread: Black, size to match hook
Butt" Black chenille, 1/4 or less of body length
Tail: Red Saddle hackle fibers 1/2 length of hook
Body: Red chenille
Rib: Silver, oval tinsel, over red chenille only
Wing: White Kip tail, length of body and divided equally when tied in

This classic fly pattern was designed to use on the swing or waking (the reason for the double hook). Several versions of this fly have appeared over the years. One with the wing upright/divided, one with bucktail in the wing, another with a hackle collar. The latter two tied without a divided wing and on single hooks. The pattern I tied was the earliest I could find. Following are a couple of pics of the fly illustrating the divided wing:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/MyPicture-1-1.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/MyPicture.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/MyPicture-1.jpg

jim p
06-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Hey Darian, the bugs are looking good. With the divided wing I bet they provide a nice full silhouette at the end of a swing.

address sent

jim p
06-15-2009, 07:25 PM
:thumbsup: Hello swappers, received a couple of sets of flies from Bruce . So the Silver Hiltons and the Orleans Barber are in.

I’m going to update the first post of this topic so everyone can find out where we’re at. That way you don’t have to hunt around for info about swap progress.

Jim P.

Click link to go to first post for swap status: http://kiene.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61583&postcount=1

jim p
06-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Darian, The Juicy Bugs arrived on Friday.:thumbsup:

The Juicy Bugs are in folks.

The Golden Gate Park Casting Ponds Clubhouse has some of these original flies mounted inside if any of you are able to swing by and look at them....
I would recommend it also.

I Made it over to the Golden Gate Anglers and Casting Club to check out their fly collection. For those who have never been there it's a beautiful place with excellent facilities and a great vintage fly collection. A lot of history there. I learned a lot just by looking at them.

Talked to a few of the members while I was there. They were very helpful and boy do they dig casting and sharing their knowledge. You can tell they know their stuff. I plan on going back and get some schooling.

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/5382/p6200004.th.jpg (http://img34.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p6200004.jpg)

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7997/p6200007w.th.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p6200007w.jpg)

Click link to go to first post for swap progress: http://kiene.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61583&postcount=1

jim p
06-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Just checking in. The Thors and Fall Favorites are done.

Almost every pattern shown, or recipe given, has the Fall Favorite without a tail, but the one on display in the Golden Gate Anglers (GGACC) clubhouse has a tail. It was tied in 1947, about a year after Lloyd Silvius created it, so I figured I ought to tie it with a tail. :)
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2937/fallfavorite2.jpg

The GGACC also had a Thor on display. Not much has changed with it.
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8326/thors.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9770/lostcoastflies.jpg

Fall Favorite
Thread: Red
Tail: Red hackle Fiber
Body: Flat, Embossed, or Oval Silver Tinsel
Rib: Oval Tinsel
Collar: Red Hackle (soft)
Wing: Fire Orange Bucktail

Thor
Thread: Black
Tail: Orange hackle Fibers
Body: Red Chenille
Collar: Brown Hackle (soft)
Wing: White Bucktail

Click link to go to first post for swap progress: http://kiene.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61583&postcount=1

slage
06-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Good looking set Jim!!

WT
06-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Great looking flies!

Question: What did you use for the head cement?

jim p
06-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks guys

WT, first coat is Griff's Thin Head Cement to penetrate and help lock everything together, then a coat of clear lacquer.

WT
06-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Thanks Jim

nrthcsteel
07-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Jim and Darian Very nice ties. Jim the bosses are done and in the mail this afternoon. I thought Id share a picture of some recent flies I picked up. I figured they would fit right in with the theme of this swap and that you all might enjoy a looksee. These are two dozen Ed Haas flies. The grouping includes protein bucktails, skunks, black coachman, black gnat and black demon flies in sizes 4,6 and 8. I was pretty happy to get these flies to say the least. Kevin

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/keving71/P7030054-1.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/keving71/P7030060-1.jpg

Xnjb707X
07-05-2009, 05:11 PM
I'll be sending out my flies on tuesday, they we be there soon!

- Nic

jim p
07-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Great looking set of flies you pickup there nrthcsteel. Got your bosses and thanks for the chip-in.

slage the burlaps have arrived, also really like the "speyed-out" version.:thumbsup:

Both sets look great guys.:thumbsup:

Sorry for the lack of updates. Work has been relentless. Tried to work a long weekend in over the 4th, now I'm paying for it.

Looking good - 7 sets down with 5 to go.

Click link to go to first post for swap progress:http://kiene.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61583&postcount=1

jim p
07-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Hello swappers, I heard from Mike R, Xnjb, and Hairstacker. It looks like their flies should be rolling in any time. :thumbsup:

Heard from David Lee awhile back, he had some things come up and wasn’t going to be able to finish. Was sorry to see him have to drop, but sometimes things happen, this I know. I went ahead and picked up the Mossbacks.

4 days left to get the flies in and it looks like we’ll make it. If anyone thinks they’re going to be late let me know.

Hopefully all flies will be in by the end of the week. If that happens, I’ll be able to get them separated and mailed back out to everyone Monday of next week. :D

nrthcsteel , That really is a great selection of flies. Thank you for sharing them. I’m tying up some flies this week using the Ed Haas winging style. It makes for incredibly tough wings.

I know it’s a hassle, but if you get a chance could you post a couple of close ups of them bad boys? :D

nrthcsteel
07-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Hey Jim no problem, here you go. The Haas winging style is certainly a great one. Very durable. If you havent already you should try and pick up copies of the Art of Angling Journal. The premier issue and vol. 1 issue 2 have a two part article on the flies of Ed Haas. Lots of great fly photos in that one and a very good read. Those old issues are pretty great. Once you pick one up your gonna want all of em. Good stuff in those. Looking forward to seeing all the flies together, should be a great looking set. Oh yeah flies below are skunk, protein bucktail, silver demon and another Haas fly that I have that wasnt part of the set, I believe its a Queen Bess?? or a variation of that pattern. Kevin

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/keving71/P7130020.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/keving71/P7130024.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/keving71/P7130018.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/keving71/P7130026.jpg

Terry Thomas
07-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Looks like I'm one of the last to get his flies in, sorry. Will have them in the mail by Friday. I've been doing some tying for our Yucatan trip this Saturday. Here's a little history on the Chicken Wing pattern that I have learned from my friend, Dave Mathews. I first learned of this pattern when fishing the Gualala River in the late 70's. When you are standing in the river at Thompson's or Minor, you get to hear some pretty good stories. Dave, being a native of Vallejo, got to know some of the old timers through his dad and the shipyard. If you saw Rivers of a Lost Coast you know some of the "players" in the steelhead game. Two other anglers that also made up this clan were Bill Carey and Hank Doyle. They were good friends and fished a lot together. During their time on the river they put some pretty simple ideas together of colors that worked and actions from hackle and tail material. Hank raised chickens so they had a source of hackle. The long black tail from a squirrel was also a pretty standard quality of coastal patterns. The body is the most difficult part of this pattern to find. My guess is that the original color was an orange that was very old and left out in the sun too long. I think you might describe it as an "off orange" shade. They added a bead chain eye and you have some of the best characteristics of coastal patterns that just fished great on the rivers of the area. Here's the simple pattern:
Thread: red
Silver bead chain eye
Hackle: grizzly
Body: "off orange" chennile
Tail: black squirrel
Weighted as needed.
Terry

Xnjb707X
07-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Here is my brindle bug ->

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/Xnjb707X/DSCN2347.jpg

The reason I chose this fly is because it was one of my grandfather's favorite flies on the lower trinity, It was invented by Lloyd Silvius orginally made it for the eel river, but it worked well on the trinity. Lloyd had a house down the road from my grandfather in willow creek which they fished the lower trinity together often. Lloyd interduced alot of patterns to my grandfather, but that was still his favorite fly, and is still one of mine for that river. My dad told me that when he was younger he always wanted Lloyd to teach him how to fly fish, but Lloyd wouldnt take him down to the river, he made him practice casting for hours on the road first. hehe, funny part about that I may be able to cast further than my old man, but his casts are always more cleaner. Must have been the teacher. Anyways .. enjoy the flies!

- Nic

jim p
07-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Got 3 sets in and waiting for one more. Great looking flies everyone.

Started sorting them and all I can say is ooh!. I've been in a number of swaps and they all have been good, but to be in one like this one is pretty cool. Flies of our friends, fathers, and grandfathers. Very cool indeed.

I'll get everyone's set out to them probably a day after the other set
arrives.

Thanks for sharing the stories behind the flies and the photos. That is some great stuff there. You guys Rock.

I've started putting together the other sets. Later in the week I'll pm everyone with info regarding the other aspects of the swap. I'll post photos of the set when it is done. Probably next weekend.

Thanks for joining the swap everyone

Jim P. – Fall Favorite and Thor, (done and done)
Hairstacker – Skunk, received
David Lee – Mossback, drop, Done
Darian – Juicy Bug, , received
Xnjb707X – Brindle Bug, received
slage – Burlap, received
Mike R. – Silver Demon, received
Terry Thomas – Gualala Chicken Wing, received
Bruce Slightom – Orleans Barber and Silver Hilton, received
nrthcsteel – Boss, received

jim p
07-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Got the last set in. I'll package them up tonight and send them out tomorrow. Tomorrow has come and the flies have been mailed. Got them out today 7-22.

Darian
07-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Just opened the package of flies for this swap and am really impressed with their quality. I've always loved tying and seeing others classic Steelhead patterns and these are as good as any I've seen. These flies brought back some very good memories and they'll be a great addition to my collection. :cool:

Thanks to Jim P for hosting and providing some good dialogue on this subject. I especially enjoyed the copy of the article on the Orleans Barber pattern and the barber, himself. :D :D

jim p
07-24-2009, 03:34 PM
You’re welcome Darian, and thank you for joining. This has been a good swap to be sure, and discussions on the history of the flies have been great. It has led me to do more research and tying.

We need to thank Bruce for the article on the Barber of Orleans. He sent several copies of the article with his flies so I put one in the return packages. It is a great read and I have shared it with other folks too.

Hope everyone enjoyed the swap.

slage
07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Hey guys,

Great looking flies!
Thanks to everyone, especially Jim (again) for hosting.

C'mon Fall...

Darian
07-24-2009, 05:49 PM
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but...... Maybe we should ask Bill to have photo's of the flies placed into the gallery on this website....(:?:) That way everyone could enjoy them.... :nod: :nod:

Mike R
07-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Got the flies today. They all look great. Big thanks to Jim for putting all this on.

Mike

nrthcsteel
07-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Great group of flies guys. Very fun swap. Great idea for a swap Jim and an excellent job running it!!!! Thanks again Jim. Kevin

Hairstacker
07-25-2009, 12:47 AM
Wow, as Darian mentioned, I too am very impressed by the quality of the flies. You fellas sure know how to tie. Thanks again for hosting Jim!

Bruce Slightom
07-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Good job every one, and thanks Jim. This is the first time that I have participated in a fly swap, so thanks Bruce.

jim p
07-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks for joining everyone, and allowing me to host. Hosting the swap has been a real pleasure.

There are still a couple of things I need to do to finish up the swap though. Was going to get to them last weekend but the urge to fish and camp won out. :-\"

Preparing a couple of displays and taking some photos is next on the agenda.:D

jim p
08-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Hello Swappers,

Here’s where we’re at on the displays. The good people of Skinny Fist Productions (Rivers of a Lost Coast) are very supportive of the display idea (good call Mike R.). They responded within a day of me contacting them, and said they would be more than happy to supply artwork for the displays.

I’m thinking that everyone’s forum user-name will be listed together in a group, instead of with the fly they tied. If you want your actual name listed, or think the name of the tier should be with their respective fly, please let me know.

Display dimensions and fly placement are pending on the artwork to be included in the display. I need to coordinate layout with the people who are making the frame.

Before the layout of the displays is finalized, every participant will have the opportunity to look them over.

If you do not desire to be listed in one or both, please pm me to let me know.

Thanks again everyone, this continues to be a pretty cool swap.

Jim P.

slage
08-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Hey Jim,

You don't fail to impress. Speaking for myself, I am happy with using my actual name, with respective fly.

I would be honored to have any association with the film, and it's history.

Can't wait to see this.

Bruce Slightom
08-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks again Jim, you can use my forum name.

k.hanley
08-11-2009, 06:19 PM
As an outsider looking in, you guys have all done a fine job with this one.

Jim P you handled the swap with class and inspiration. It was very cool to see this evolve. Well done!
Cheers, Ken

Darian
12-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Bump!!!.... jim p brought a finished framed display of the flies from this swap to Kiene's today. It's a very professional job. =D> =D> Well worth taking the opportunity to see if you're in the shop. :D: More to come.... :nod: :nod:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-24-2009, 08:40 AM
We now have a beautiful framed set of classic west coast Steelhead flies up in the shop for all to enjoy.

Thanks to Justin Coupe of Skinny Fist Productions, makers of the movie "Rivers Of A Lost Coast", for their help here too.

Thanks to all who were involved.

It was quit a shock.........you will be impressed if you see it in person.

We will try to get Andy to get a photo of it up on the message board soon.