PDA

View Full Version : Hat Creek this past weekend

esummers
05-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Ended up going to Burney for the weekend. I was going to hit the Pit and Hat, but I forgot my staff at home so I decided to focus my efforts on Hat Creek. Plus, the Pit's reputation for wading is kind of daunting, especially being by myself.

Anyway, I had limited success on Hat in the morning\afternoon (to be expected - as this was my first time fishing it). Stalking trout on the flats below PH#2 riffle is a real treat. Mostly PMD's this weekend in the morning. At first, I couldn't believe all the people who line up at the bottom of the riffle to fish with indicators when there's dry fly action going on. After getting skunked a couple of mornings on the flats, I can see why they're doing it. Those trout are really tough on the flats. The toughest part was getting into position without putting them down. That being said, chasing rising fish appeals to me more than nymphing - even if I'm taking a beating in the process. Must be my Michigan roots.

The evening bite was much better. Rusty spinners were the ticket and small dark caddis (#18). I didn't land anything huge, but had a really good time. What a beautiful spring creek. I also noticed a couple of salmon flies at PH2 and many more in the lower section of fast water. I threw the big bug around in the lower section, but nothing doing. I here people are doing well there right now, but not me.

craigb504
05-18-2009, 03:08 PM
I fished Hat Creek on Thursday, it was also my first time there. There was one other person fishing below PH#2, but other than that I had the whole river to myself. I was pretty surprised. I saw lots of rising fish when the wind wasn't blowing, and landed a nice 15" brown on a dry in the flats. A caddis pupae did the trick in the riffles below the PH (5 rainbows). I think hitting such a popular spot on during the middle of the week may be the key to success.