PDA

View Full Version : Weekend AR Report

Jeff C.
05-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Had an epic weekend of shad fishing. Got 22 Fri evening, 20 Sat and 13 yesterday. They were all caught on Surf Candies, Bloody Marias, and I'm Too Sexy for My Shad in the lower river. Did a little recon in the upper river and there was no on home although there were a few caught by spin guys early in the morning before the raft hatch starts. It seems like they are just moving through and not holding down in the lower river. They are in the middle river so they should be in the uppper river any day now. It could be a great run since they are still stacked up at Discovery.

Scott V
05-18-2009, 08:21 AM
I knew you would get into them sooner or later. Was it with your spey rod shooting half way across the river to reach areas I couldn't with my regular rod. Or can a regular fly rod reach the areas holding the fish?

Terry Thomas
05-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Went by Watt Ave. last night. I have never seen so many people there! You could not find a parking place without driving around and looking for someone to leave...so I did. Nothing like the first 100F. day in Sacramento.

Jeff C.
05-18-2009, 09:08 AM
I was using my switch rod and casting out about 60 ft. A single hand rod would work.

ALAN MAX
05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Hey Jeff, that's great news I'm planing to hit it Thur.&Fri, AM or PM what do you think?

Jeff C.
05-18-2009, 10:16 AM
It's wierd but afternoons have been better for me. You'd think that mornings and evenings would be better. I caught 2 yesterday morning when it was comfortable and went back at 5:30 when it was 100 degrees and caught 11. I think it really depends on where you fish at. If I had to pick a time, I'd say pm.

djwattswatts
05-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Was at Watt on Sunday and was talking to some guys that got 20 on Satruday. it was my frist time fishing for Schad on a 5 weight single hand fly rod. had floating line but put weight on to get to the botton quickly and i got one frist time for fishing for them fun and strong fish. this was around 3 pm. dont know how long they will be at this spot know nothing about these fish how they travel or anyting. just getting back into all this.

ALAN MAX
05-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks Jeff< I think I'll just Have to fish both, Darn!!! Hope to see you on the water!!!

ALAN MAX
05-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Jason are booked up the rest of this week?

Charlie Gonzales
05-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the report Jeff. Just got back from the coast and looking forward to a great week of fishing.

Ed Wahl
05-18-2009, 09:49 PM
I hit it in the 'Pearl this evening. Awesome evening bite going on.

Ed

speyfool
05-19-2009, 12:27 AM
I went Shad fishing for the first time ever on Monday. A guy showed me his spot somewhere upstream of Rossmore. Although he wasn't using a flyrod, I tried to mimic what he was doing with his spin rod on my spey rod. I had a difficult time since we were in such slow water. Eventually, I figured out how to make something work when I found enough current to do a little bit of a swing. I had no clue what kind of movements the shad wanted to see. After I stumbled across success, I seemed to get bites every other cast or so and landed three in about 45 minutes.

Fun time.

BTW, I also stopped by Kienes prior to going for some shad darts. I had never been there before. Nice place.