PDA

View Full Version : Rubber trout, and a not-so rubber trout.

SHigSpeed
05-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Spent three hours at Fuller stripping leeches and soft hackles to catch 40 8"-9" fish. All kinds of surface action, but NO size to speak of. Must be the economic crisis, can't feed the planters!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Lakes/Fuller/2009%205%2015/DSCF9580.jpg

Spent 4 hours at French Meadows to get just one fish, casting at a riser:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Lakes/French%20Meadows/2009%205%2015/DSCF9578.jpg

Full disclosure: Worked hard all morning for the one, so I went to a sure thing to blow off some steam! :)

Which would YOU rather do? Hmm...

_SHig

Scott V
05-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Hey Shig, I caught a brown almost that big at Fuller today. Total count and this is a guess, about a dozen browns and about 80 - 90 rainbows. I had so many times when it was 4 fish for 4 cast and a couple 5 fish for 5 casts. All small but loads of fun. Caught a good number on a dry with my 3 weight. Everything else caught on a olive wiggle tail on my 5 weight with an intermediate line.

SHigSpeed
05-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Great fun!

My first three casts yesterday resulted in three fish.

So, that little brown I have up there. Not big enough to be a holdover, but this was Fuller's first plant this year. Is this a wild fish from 2 falls ago? Or is DFG doing mixed bag plants now? The fins don't look "perfect" enough to be wild.

_SHig

Phil Synhorst
05-17-2009, 09:25 AM
It's kinda hard to see, but looks like it has it's adipose fin.

SHigSpeed
05-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Phil,

They only trim adiposes (adipi?) on hatchery steelhead and salmon.

_SHig

Phil Synhorst
05-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Ohhh, sorry, I thought they clipped trout as well.

Ok, how about this then, it's such a good looking fish, in my mind it's wild.;-)
I've never fished Fuller, are the inlet streams that are feasible for spawning?

SHigSpeed
05-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Ohhh, sorry, I thought they clipped trout as well.

Ok, how about this then, it's such a good looking fish, in my mind it's wild.;-)
I've never fished Fuller, are the inlet streams that are feasible for spawning?

Well, that's debatable. The "inlet" is a tube feed from up higher. I suppose they could spawn in current at the outlet (grated generator feed)?

It's the strangest thing to be fishing in a tube at the inlet area and for the current to just turn on. One minute it's calm, the next I'm finning frantically to hold position. Next time I have to remember to try drifting nymphs under an indicator in the lake flow! :)

_SHig

SHigSpeed
05-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey Shig, I caught a brown almost that big at Fuller today. Total count and this is a guess, about a dozen browns and about 80 - 90 rainbows. I had so many times when it was 4 fish for 4 cast and a couple 5 fish for 5 casts. All small but loads of fun. Caught a good number on a dry with my 3 weight. Everything else caught on a olive wiggle tail on my 5 weight with an intermediate line.

Hey V,

Of those browns, were they all what would be holdover size from what we were catching in the winter (11"-12")? Or were they dinks the same size as the 'bows you were catching?

If they were the same size as the bows, I'm going to guess they planted a mixed bag. Did you photo any of the browns? Did they have full natural fins?

Hmm...

_SHig

Scott V
05-19-2009, 07:16 AM
I believe one could have been a hold over, as for the others they were rather small. I'll post some pics later today.