PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stuff ....

David Lee
05-14-2009, 10:48 PM
I found this on the Fishsniffer site .....

http://www.ktvu.com/video/19446355/index.html

Story

Water Allocations Making Some Rich In Midst Of Drought
Posted: 9:29 pm PDT May 12, 2009
Updated: 12:05 am PDT May 13, 2009

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- While millions of Californians are being told to turn off the spigot because of drought, a KTVU Channel 2 News report reveals a handful of major landowners have so much water they are flooding farm fields and even selling water they get for free back to Californians for a profit.

The federal Bureau of Reclamation, which supplies water to a vast swath of California farms, has cut back agricultural allocations to 10 and 15 percent of normal this year because of the official drought status.

However, the government is giving 100 percent of the entitlements to 135 water districts -- the vast majority farming alliances -- the same amount they would get even in the wettest years.

"The federal government made a sweetheart deal with some of the farming districts years ago," said Peter Vorster, a Bay Area hydrologist and environmental activist.

Not everyone agrees.

"Basically, you are going to kill the industry that drives Northern California, which is agriculture," countered John Sutton, a fourth-generation California farmer in the upper Sacramento Valley who is entitled to the generous water allocation and says he is concerned cutting it back will have drastic effects on the state.

Sutton is a member of the Glenn-Colusa Irrigation District, one of the 135 water agencies getting the surfeit of water.

In fact, the district will get enough water this year to flood more than 100,000 acres of rice fields and still have plenty to sell at a pure profit to parched farmers with only 10-15 percent water allocations this year.

Glenn-Colusa will also sell water to municipal users, such as the Los Angeles Metropolitan Water District, just as it did in 2003.

In all, the Glenn-Colusa Water District will make an extra $4 million dollars this year selling its excess water.

Glenn-Colusa, like the other 134 water district with 100 percent allocations, gets the water free from the federal government.

Federal Bureau of Reclamation officials say American taxpayers have spent more than $3 billion building the federal water project in California and spend another $100 million annually maintaining it.

"Well, it's an agreement," said bureau spokeswoman Lynnette Wirth. "The fairness factor is certainly one that concerns people."

For environmental activists such as Vorster, the "fairness factor" is important.

"Some people are really big winners," explained Vorster. "Everyone else -- farmers, cities, you and I -- have to sacrifice."

Plain-spoken Sutton is unapologetic about the deal his ancestors cut with the bureau.

"If he's a got a goldmine and hits the Mother Lode, is he going to share it with me? Of course not," said Sutton. "It's the luck of the cards."

Niiiiiice .

D. -

Mrs.Finsallaround
05-15-2009, 06:30 AM
This is sufficiently irritating, considering, as a VP of Conservation, I have made damn sure I've been watering my gardens on my official watering days, as designated by Carmichael Water District. And, when the heat comes on (this weekend!) I will make sure to water before 10 am so as to prevent as much evaporation as possible.

This is absolutely despicable..... #-o

wjorg
05-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Time to take dynamite to their diversion gates just like those a88holes did to the klamath. Time for someone else to dry up.....

Not me, Id blow off my own arm.....

Tracy Chimenti
05-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Hey David,
I read an article in the Bee the other day-- headline to the effect: "Environmental and fish rulings prevent water transfers to thirsty cities and farms"

What struck me is why would any farm transfer it's own water to another basin for farming?!!! Cities and drinking water I can understand. Farms?... Hey, why not use your own and grow your own. This pretty much puts the light on the cities and municipalities.

Northern CA farms are closer to the water and there is absolutely no reason someone should be able to fallow land up here so it can be used in Mendota by a corporation. This is absolutely unsustainable and needs to stop.

If we had nuclear powered de-sal, the coastal communities could produce their own water and return huge amounts to our rivers in nor-cal. Then farmers would lose motivation to squander away surplus products of public trust. Risk vs. gain. We have the answer. We need balls.

Phil Synhorst
05-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Excellent way of Mr. Sutton to compare apples and pancakes...(mmm pancakes).

He equates an inherited water deal that his "ancestors" made with the government years ago, when the population and water needs were much different, to someone who pays for mining rights and strikes it rich??:-k

He gets his water "for free" according to the article, he at least pays pennies on the dollar compared to the rest of us. Mr. Sutton can then turn around and SELL any excess water for a profit. It's a crock of bull$#!%.:mad:

For quite some time I have been a proponent of the DWR giving farmers, especially Big Ag farms just enough water to grow their crops. What little excess is left can be used to keep lake and river levels up to par. And maybe, just maybe, in good years, let the rest of us grow our gardens, and water our lawns without too much guilt.[-o<

There's my rant for now, I better stop before the whiskey gets the better of me.;-)

Darian
05-15-2009, 06:30 PM
I find all of this water stuff very interesting. :unibrow: Just to provide some perspective about the hows/why's of it:

Everything I've been reading shows that growers, distributors and municipalities all receive allocations based on perceived need thru a contractual process. Apparently, no limitation is placed on the volume of the request based on past usage. All of these contracts are executed over lengthy periods of time (up to 50 years). Federal/State water projects sell water at below market price levels for an acre foot of water. This is probably due to the fact that the duration of contracts are long and that they don't include adjustments for inflation over time. :cool:

These contracts are based on the concept that water is a commodity that may be sold. If you can sell something, you've acquired rights to do what you want with what you haven't used. Therefore, excess (unused) water is sold from whoever has the excess to those who're willing to pay for it at whatever price you can command. All of this has been upheld in federal courts because that's business (not being sarcastic here). Since the major growers and population centers are located in the southern half of the state, literally, all of the water flows from north to the southern part. :)

The problem with this process is, as Phyl points out, the water is sold by the governmental providers/regulators at subsidized prices but resold for whatever the market can bear. Also, as I pointed out in an earlier post in this Forum("Water Conservation"), this process encourages those receiving allocations to take all they can get rather than all they can use. This, in order to sell for increased profits or revenues. No conservation here. :rolleyes:

Water is withdrawn, treated, stored, transfered and/or distributed from anywhere in this state to anywhere else in this state because of the infrastructure available (paid for by us). Also, any entity (private or public) can sell/transfer all or part of it's allocation to any other entity connected to the delivery system. ;)

Farm subsidies for growers was massive over the period from 1995 thru 2006. in that time frame, 49,323 farms received a total of $6,235,000,000 in cash subsidies from USDA. Most of that over the last 5 years. 60% of the subsidies were taken by 10% of all recipients. :eek:

An interesting side note is that it takes something like 1/3 of the electric power generated in this state to deliver water through the federal and state water projects. :smirk:

Every time I get into this stuff, I think I should've been a grower.... \\:D/

Larry S
05-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Heard a report on NPR the other day - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104466681

I was surprised to learn how many California cities do not yet have residential water meters. I realize that residential water usage is far less than farming and manufacturing.
Still, the average citizen might be more concerned if he/she received a water bill similar to the gas/electric bill - based on usage, not a flat rate.
We are reminded quite often down here in San Diego about the conditions. Still, it seems like the local media pay more attention to the sea lions and seals in LaJolla's Childrens'
Pool than just about any other local matter. Ain't that something!
Larry S

Mrs.Finsallaround
05-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Heard a report on NPR the other day - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104466681

I was surprised to learn how many California cities do not yet have residential water meters. I realize that residential water usage is far less than farming and manufacturing.
Still, the average citizen might be more concerned if he/she received a water bill similar to the gas/electric bill - based on usage, not a flat rate.
We are reminded quite often down here in San Diego about the conditions. Still, it seems like the local media pay more attention to the sea lions and seals in LaJolla's Childrens'
Pool than just about any other local matter. Ain't that something!
Larry S

Actually, the recent studies by Delta Vison and PPIC state that citizens use more water than anything else and that ag water usage is only about 15%...

AND, that southern CA actually uses LESS water than northern CA....

NO, I am NOT PRO-canal.... Just found these facts fascinating...

windwalker
05-30-2009, 04:49 PM
I've read (I think) all of the recent PPIC and Delta Vision Task Force reports, I definately have not seen the statistic about high municipal use. To my knowledge Ag accounts for anywhere between 60-70% of water uses. I'd be interested in reading the report if you can recall its title Mrs. Finsallaround. I do believe you are right, southern Cal uses less water than does northern california from the water pumped, with the San Joaquin (ag users) accounting for the majority of water pumped.

A little off topic but one thing thats interesting is that users like westlands irrigation district (those everyone loves to hate), actually engague in the most vigorous conservation measures. They do this because of their more junior (later acquired) water rights, which generally only entitles them to smaller amounts of water in drier years (as we have a system that bases water allocation on priority of one's right as opposed to need). It is the most senior water righter rights holders, (generally ag users) that are the most "inefficient" water users. Why so? Because their senior water rights entitles them to their full water quota each year, with no real need to ever expend the resources to conserve water in drier years. I've always been amazed at the fact that we havn't passed stricter laws requiring more efficient conservation. There is the possibility of course of creating a more efficient water market where such users will conserve in oder to make a higher profit by selling excess water to other users, but this solution seems to cut against the notion of using less water overall. Interesting stuff to think about.