PDA

View Full Version : turkeys and skunks

medfly
05-14-2009, 08:03 PM
went out fishing this evening to the local hot ponds, looking for bass and carp again, seems like the sandy shore that is best for carp is also a favorite spot for teens and college kids to drink and mess around, so when i got there and there was 20 or so people having a beach party, i adventured over to some secluded, though less fishy, ponds. heading back to the car on a grassy trail in a thick wooded area i heard some wildlife and stopped to find a full grown turkey inches from my feet, it was bedded down and had its young all around it, i took a few steps down the trail and snapped some photos during the impromptu modeling session. then it attacked. it came at me super quick, got airborne and went for my face, i had my gear in had and made contact with the butt of my reel, it kept coming, another good hit from the rod sent it onto the trail, we both seemed stunned and bit out of breath, going through my outdoor knowledge, bear attack: make noise, pretend to be dead and cover your neck, cougar attack, look as big as possible and never run, there was nothing in there about turkeys. so after a short pause, we both were staring at each other a little startled, next move the turkey charged me, i ran full sprint, with all my gear in flip flops down the trail, every time i turned back the turkey was tight on my tail and gaining (think the t-rex in jurassic park chasing the jeep), she sprinted after me for a good 30 yards before letting up, all in all, it was the reason i go out and flyfish as much as i do. oh yea, no fish either

the assailant
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/buddhahorse/IMG_3094.jpg

Ed Wahl
05-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Dude, drop and play dead, it's the only way!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Darian
05-14-2009, 08:15 PM
WOW!!!! If it's not the Turkeys, it's the Geese.... :eek: How much time is she gettin' :?: :?: If that Turkey hadn't had some pullets to tend to, it might've made a great dinner. :nod: :unibrow::unibrow:

Phil Synhorst
05-14-2009, 08:17 PM
First it started with Big Foot marauding around the Yuba, now killer Turkeys on the American. Where will it end??? :mad:

A shovel, burlap sack, and a barbecue perhaps?:unibrow:

Hairstacker
05-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Serves you right for flyfishing in flip-flops . . . any wonder you made it out of there alive. :lol:

Rich Leonetti
05-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Sounds like a Jive Turkey to me.... lol just kidding ... that sucks my wife walks around our neighborhood in fair oaks and she says those turkeys are getting really aggressive and they puff up when they get startled but they haven't attacked her yet....

David Lee
05-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Always , ALWAYS carry a jar of Gravy with you . Show it to the offending Turkey ..... that's all it takes .

Never #^$@ w/ a Mother ........

David

P.S. - on a serious note , glad to didn't get damaged in your escape !