PDA

View Full Version : coastal cutthroats

medfly
05-14-2009, 02:53 PM
trying to form a little trip for myself in the coming weeks, thinking about hitting some area that i have never been to before, thinking about camping, and hoping for an area that i can bring the dog and see few other people, some hiking is just fine, was thinking about heading towards some areas with coastal cutthroats, i have never really fished these areas or for this fish, no need to give me your hotspots ( PMs welcome of course ;) ), but any info on general location and if this time of the year can be productive would be a great help, thanks
-medfly

Darian
05-14-2009, 09:37 PM
I love Coastal Cutthroat fishing. Used to find them in estuaries, sloughs and places throughout the Smith River drainage. Great fish. They seem to occur in larger numbers in the Klamath and Smith Rivers. DFG began an effort re-establish them in Stone Lagoon, north of Eureka. :D

There're many places to camp/park up there. However, if you fish at Stone Lagoon, don't lose sight of your vehicle. Many break-ins in that area. :confused:

norcal tom
05-16-2009, 03:58 PM
try the upper parts of the middle fork smith or little jones creek

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Maybe check with the Eureka Fly Shop for time and place?

Bob Borden, owner of Hareline (fly tying materials business) is supposed to be a leading expert on Sea-run Cuts. Email or call him.