PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento or Feather Shad?

RAS
05-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Heading north on Monday.Has anyone been fishing Road 48 on the Sacramento or the Oroville wildlife area on the Feather?I'm thinking the recent high flows could have moved some fish up river.
Thanks, RAS

Dabalone
05-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Was at the wildlife area Sat 5/9, a scouting trip for shad. Not one hookup for the shad but knocked heck out of big pike, river is full of those damn things now. Seen a few fish splashing the surface so I know some are in the area, just not numbers yet. The river is in great shape, water is still cool and a nice green color. With the recent high water it should be good up there anytime. What was a bit eerie is I only saw two other people fishing and not a soul at the afterbay outlet, kinda reminded me of back in the late sixties shortly after the outlet started operating when we had the place to ourselves.

Darian
05-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Got any tooth prints on ya.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dabalone
05-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Pike minnows the river is loaded with them. Fish on second cast at my first spot, fish is pulling down really hard thought I might have a salmon, in past years I have caught many standing in this same spot, turned out to be a huge pike probably close to eight pounds. During the day I switched from shad flies to nymphs and still caught pike, even tied on a small clouser hoping for a smallie or striper and bam another pike. This is a salmon spawning area, gotta wonder what affect they are having.

RAS
05-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the information.I'll post a report when we return.Pike minows,yellow suckers,smallmouth,largemouth,stripers,steelhead,h ardhead and salmon....If you stand in the river and keep your fly in the water long enough I think you can hook just about anything fishing for shad.:)
Good Fishing!
RAS