PDA

View Full Version : Shasta or Mammoth this weekend????

esummers
05-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Guys,

Trying to figure out where to go this weekend with runoff conditions? I'd like to stay at high elevation to avoid the heat. Was thinking Hot Creek in Mammoth or the Pit and Hot Creek to the north.

Any advice would be appreciated. Will the runoff impact Hot creek at all since it's a spring creek?

Thanks

WT
05-13-2009, 04:46 PM
How would run off impact a spring creek? I thought spring creek where feed from the ground and not from snow in the mountains melting...

I would hit the Pit.

esummers
05-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Not sure, but I know Hot Creek has a rep for blowing out. Not sure if a feeder creek also enters it or not.

medfly
05-13-2009, 06:31 PM
not sure if it is blown up, but mammoth creek does enter hot creek at the west end, debating myself where to head for memorial day weekend, i tend to always head to the east side, but thinking about changing it up and heading north, want to avoid the crowds, so maybe some backpacking in the trinity wilderness, anyone up there know how snowed in that area is this time of year?

troutbm
05-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Mammoth any givin day of the year for me. Tailwater sections of the Owens will not blowout. If runoff is an issue there many lakes in the area, take a float tube !

WT
05-13-2009, 09:20 PM
esummers I realized after I type my previous post I might sounds like an a$$... it was by no means meant in that way. thanks for the info.

esummers
05-14-2009, 11:04 AM
No Worries WT - I was surprised to hear that Hat Creek is impacted by runoff as well.

Tight Lines

BIGBROWN
05-14-2009, 11:05 AM
I would go up north and fish the McCloud one day, and then shoot down 89 and fish the pit and or Hat creek the next day. The reports I have gotten from friends in the Shasta area recently are that the McCloud is fishing better then it has this early in the season in many years. Granted, I am bias because the Mccloud is my favorite river in CA hands down. Either way the fishing should be good this weekend. I think many anglers who wait to head up north this summer are going to find a lot of skinny water due to this years sub par snow pack, so get up there when you can. Save hot creek for later in the season.

Dave Neal
05-14-2009, 04:39 PM
There are so many streams and rivers to choose from in CA right now it's tough to choose!

I can speak for the Mammoth area, however. There's been some exceptional fishing conditions round these parts as of late.

The East Walker's flows have been ramping up all this week to very fishy levels. Today it's at 166 cfs... and rising? I really like the flows and conditions between 100-250(+). I find it does not take long for these fish to adjust to changing flows, at all. I regularly fish this river on days when it goes up or down while we fish... when the fish eat, THEY EAT!! The piggies in the river are glutinous that way.

Also, it has been crowded on the river and at the higher releases there is certainly more holding water and riffles for folks too fish... the fish are already spread out and loving more water.

There have been solid mayfly hatches, always midges, and caddis are coming on strong, too!

Hot Creek has been fantastic lately. It is true that Mammoth Creek does run high with runoff and after its confluence with Hot Creek, it muddies the crick' up a bit...floating weeds are the main challenge to fish through. Today Mammoth Creek spiked to 70 cfs
I am going down to walk the stream with my daughter tonight and will check out the conditions.

I just updated my blog http://www.flyfishingmammoth.typepad.com so I'll save the long winded reason I love fishing Hot Creek when it's high water... it doesn't really blow out. 2006 was the biggest runoff I have ever seen on the Creek... we fished through it and had phenomenal days. Just don't expect to throw the usual #24 emergers or spinner patterns!!

Lower Owens' flows are STILL very fishable! I have been down there a lot lately. Mayflies, caddis, stoneflies etc... morning/afternoon, then the evening bite for the caddis!

Lastly, and perhaps the BEST part. If you venture to the Eastside soon... bring your float tube!!! Some of our mid-elevation backcountry lakes are in prime shape! Talk to the boys at Kiene's, they know the ones and will steer you in the right direction! This is the BEST time before the crowds and heat arrive.

calfisher
05-14-2009, 05:28 PM
I would hit the east side! The lower section of Magee creek(cant remember how to spell!) should be going off right now. Walk all the way down to the lake and fish your way back up. Also, Big Springs should be fishing really good as well. Its like Dave said, there's so much water up there!!! good luck where ever you end up!