PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing Newbie

Sacto John
05-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I have fished for Shad numerous times with spinning gear, but I want to give it a go this year with my fly rod, but I have no clue where to start. I currently only cast bugs and poppers for small stream bass so I have no gear for shad and need help putting my tackle together. I have a 5wt rod and can get my hands on a 7wt if I need it and I will be wading the American River. So what do I need to get me started catching some shad? treat me like I know nothing as I do not know very much. Thank you in advance.

PS: I catch and release

amoeba
05-12-2009, 03:47 PM
a) sinktip line; probably type III; probably not longer than 15' tip. (floating line is possible with alot of wt, but not recommended)
b) maxima ultragreen leader material; build short leader not more than 6 ft. 2 ft of 8#; terminal 2 ft of 6#.
c) some shad flies; most effective patterns vary year-to-year.
d) probably that 7 wt rod.
e) preferably a reel with adjustable drag
f) shad

Mrs.Finsallaround
05-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Welcome John! :unibrow:

Ed Wahl
05-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Allright John, fly fishing for shad is a blast.

Your 7wt is perfect.

Everything Amoeba said is good advice, but I'd say go with any kind of reel you like. I've never had a shad take line out. I've stripped them all in with no problems. A basic Pfleuger Medalist will work just fine for a reel. Or any cheapo reel you feel like using.

And instead of a sink tip line, check out shooting heads. For a lot less money you can set yourself up with several heads to cover the entire water column. As a plus they're easier to cast for distance, which you'll have to do.

Ed

Bryan Morgan
05-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Heads are a great way to go. I use them a lot. But they may take a little practice and patience.