PDA

View Full Version : Keep Dream'n

Jay Murakoshi
05-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey Phil, Mike, Jim, Keith

I went out this morning in search of the grande dorado. The wind wasn't too bad a slight breeze that I could handle. Hit the first 4 buoys and nada. Hit 6 more buoys and the West wind was starting too blow pretty good. So instead of wasting gas and getting bounced around and wet, we decided to head back to the beach. Stopped around the "Roca Montana" but the skippes were still asleep. So off to the beach in search of my 100lb rooster. Started at the two houses and drifted towards the Punta. Nada. Went a little past the houses and had a couple boils but no takers. Kept drifting towards the Punta and there they were. A school of Pez Gallo's ranging in the 15lb range. Landed one in a couple minutes. Then back towards the Punta and holy moley, the water looked like a washing machine. The water was getting aggitated from HUGE roosters. there had to be at least 50 in this school. Average size 30lbs to 60lbs. Maybe bigger. Hell, they were so big Efren got excited.
My first cast and hoooooooooked up on a grande. It didn't realize it was hooked, it sort of just swam around like nothing had happened then he must of felt the steel. He took off like a bat out of hell. He was into my dacron backing within seconds. Instead of chasing it, Efren just sat there watching and smiling. He was going to hook a sardina on the boat rod he had but Salomon didn't want to fight any big fish. After tugging and pumping the rod, I had my running line at the reel. And almost had it to the head then off to the horizon again. By this time, I was tired of playing this game and tighten the drag all the way and started cranking on the rod. Pulling hard and furious on the rod, I had the rod flattened out but gaining on the fish. After 27 minutes we had the fish in had. According to my scale - Captain Efren" it was in the 18 to 20 kilo range. A hell of a fish and that wasn't the big one of the bunch.

After loosing the drag, checking the leader for any frayed marks, we headed back up the beach. Wasn't too long before we found the same school on the blue/green line. Second cast, FISH ON !!!!....Long story short this one weighed around 28 to 30. Got him off and cruised the line again. Crap, here they were. But it took 8 casts this time and this fish didn't realized he was on the end of my line until I jammed the hook home. Then he was headed towards Punta Perico at Mark IV. He was well into my dacron backing, I'd say at least 150yds out there. We actually started chasing the fish. After 15 minutes he came unbuttoned. In a way I was glad.

Then I gave Efren a turn to fish. He jumped at the chance. You guys gotta watch him cast and fish. He keeps the line off the water, no exploratory casts, just waits for the boils. I was throwing the bait. He spot the school underneath the bait and then all hell broke loose again. He made two casts and Fish On !!!!.... Now, he talks about my style of fish fighting (cranking the drag down and pulling hard), he was doing the same thing. His fish made a couple good runs before I grabbed it with a Michael Jackson glove. Around 25lbs. He caught 2 more decent size fish before we called it a day.
Total fish Jay 5 rooster Efren 3 roosters. Fly of choice: Sea Habit Sardina 2/0

Now this is what I call a fly fishing captain. One who can cast (double haul) around 75', hook fish and have the knowledge of fighting and landing the fish on a fly rod

OH YEAH, before you make the remarks about photo's, well my camera broke down.
NOT REALLY - I taped most if not the whole fight on my big video camera. I'll down load it tonight and edit a portion for my Vimeo.

Going back out on Wednesday. Maybe this time we can find the 50lb dorado or maybe a marlin or two

Jay

Darian
05-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Hola Senor Jay,.... Those were certainly large fish. Sounds like you were workin' out there. :eek: I sure hope those Grande Pez Gallo are still there when we arrive.... :D I have plenty of Sardina Sea Habits. :cool: Maybe by then the water'll warm and there'll be some Sargasso for the Dorado to hang out with. Otherwise, I'm for towing a piece of ply-wood out and anchoring it.... :nod: :lol:

Of course, I won't complain if the Jacks/Roosters are the only ones home.... :cool:

Haven't had a chance to try out the camera yet.... :confused:

k.hanley
05-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Fantastico participante! Viva Pez Gallo.
Cheers, Ken

Scott V
05-11-2009, 02:42 PM
cock-a-doodle doo pescado, I am so ready. I can't wait for that video.

FISHEYE
05-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Jay, sounds like a grande day. I wish I was still there instead of sitting at my computer working. It is a beautiful day here by the way, and an Alaska scorcher. I bet it will get up to 60. woohoo! Your report reiterates that 5 days fishing is not enough- I need at least 10!

Where can I get one of the cameras? Phil

Jay Murakoshi
05-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Darian,

Damn, I love my job. Speaking of plywood, there was a piece out there two weeks ago.
We were out looking from buoy to buoy before we gave up. Efren found out that we were only 2 kilometers from the wood. He said there were 18 panga's and everyone was doubled hook up. The wood was marked with a piece of foil to find it easier. It's probably around Loreto by now. There was also a dead whale 3 weeks ago but that has disappeared

Phil,

Ya gotta be sitting by the heater trying to get some of this baja heat. The great thing about today, only 4 boats launched. The economy is definitely hurting. Very few people at the hotel right now.
I have 8 camera's at home. If you can wait until I return, I'll send you one. I thought my batteries was weak because the numbers were flashing, so right after I hooked the big rooster, I took it off and set it under the seat. Now as I down loaded what was on the card, you can see me running around the boat, so it must've been working

I'll send video's as soon as I can

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
05-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Phil

or you can go to Goprocamera.com and purchase one there

Jay

Steve Potter
05-11-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm going down in Aug this year, hope the action is as good. It sounds like a fun time.
The wind blew us out of the water today in the Delta.
Keep up the good reports!!!!!!
Steve

jbird
05-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Jay

My good buddy James Shaugnessy (Beulah Flyrods) arrived down there today. He did everything he could to get me to join him. He'll be fishing alone the first week due to some flakey clients. I wish I coulda gone! Flick a pacifico cap at him for me if you see him!

Sounds like your havin a sweet time down there. Maybe next year I'll get to la Paz if the finances loosen up a bit.

...the other Jay... :-)

Jay Murakoshi
05-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Haven't seen James around the hotel. If he doesn't have any clients, I don't think he'll be around here. I know he rents a house. Somedays, the family comes to the hotel and swims.

Steve,

Come to La Paz and I'll get you on the Pez Gallo, but it's up to you to hook them up. My shoulders are sore today. Don't know if it's from pulling on the fish yesterday or sleeping wrong. I was dead a$$ tired yesterday and laid down and fell asleep around 7pm. Woke up and thought it was 5:30 am. but it was only 10:30pm. I couldn't get back to sleep, so I worked on editing the video of the roosters. I hope to make the files small enough to post to Vimeo. Maybe later today, I'll have it on line

Saludos

Jay

FISHEYE
05-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Jay, which gopro model did you have. I looked at them last night and figured it must be the Wide Hero with chest harness and the automatic fish hooking attachment. Correct? Phil

Jay Murakoshi
05-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Phil,

Yep, the wide hero model with the chest harness. I just viewed the hero cam shots from yesterday. Some great video of the strip, busting fish and the hook up. Now, I hope to add this to the regular video that I have edited already. It gives you an up close view of the hands, stripping and casting

View it later

Jay

Scott V
05-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Jay, my wife just bought me a Wide Pro with the chest strap so I'll have mine down there also.

I can't wait to see some of that marlin video.

Jay Murakoshi
05-12-2009, 03:26 PM
I just finished editing the rooster footage. Files to large for Photobucket and too large for Vimeo, unless I join and then I can do 5 gig per week limited to 1 gb per week for $60.00
I might join and cut the file by .7 gb. It's at 1.7 right now. Anyone know where I can download a Huge File

Jay

Scott V
05-12-2009, 03:30 PM
I just finished editing the rooster footage. Files to large for Photobucket and too large for Vimeo, unless I join and then I can do 5 gig per week limited to 1 gb per week for $60.00
I might join and cut the file by .7 gb. It's at 1.7 right now. Anyone know where I can download a Huge File

Jay

You need to find someone with an FTP site that you can upload to.

briansII
05-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Phil,

Yep, the wide hero model with the chest harness. I just viewed the hero cam shots from yesterday. Some great video of the strip, busting fish and the hook up. Now, I hope to add this to the regular video that I have edited already. It gives you an up close view of the hands, stripping and casting

View it later

Jay

Hey Jay

Very interested in seeing the angle/view of the chest harness, as it relates to fishing. I'm 1/2 way there to buying. Just need a good vid to push me over the edge.

briansII

Steve R
05-12-2009, 04:23 PM
What about Youtube?

PaulC
05-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Hey Jay,
You could upload it to your website.
You could also significantly reduce file size by either changing format to something with compression and/or reducing the overall frame size.
I think the orignal mako video files I had were 1.5Gb and we got it down to 20-30megs while still preserving most of the image quality at a smaller size.
Of course, the larger file is much more crisp.
We then uploaded it to Gary's site providing a link for users to click on and download.
Pretty easy to try various compression and size reduction in Adobe Premiere, not sure about Mac programs.
Hope that helps.
-Paul

Jay Murakoshi
05-12-2009, 05:59 PM
brians

As soon as you see the hand movement and the stripping from the camera view, you'll be sold. Oh yeah and even the set up on the big rooster

Paul,

How did you compress the files? What program. I'm use to using full resolutions for the quality

Steve,

You tube doesn't give you a quality video

I'm sure I'll have it completed by tomorrow morning. I have all night to work on it

Jay

PaulC
05-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey Jay,
I use Adobe Premier for video editing. It allows you to compress the files in various formats.
Quicktime is a bit larger than the windows formats, but is more accessible for the mac folks.
For dumping onto the web, you can hack it down either by:
A) going to something like quicktime that has some compression built into the video codec.
and/or
B) reducing the frame size/resolution of the video (might still look fine in a small window but would be blurry full screen)
The full blown is the best resolution wise, but sharing those file sizes on the web is a bit prohibitive. I have fiber run to the house, but end up limited by outside servers for the most part.
The good thing is it is easy to try and see what looks the best for a given file size.

I'm not a Mac guy and I seem to recall that is what you use. I would think their built in programs would have similar functionality to Adobe.
Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need more help.
-Paul

Big Jim
05-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Jay

I have the same camera and the same problems with it... that flashing light when it runs out of batteries. the thing just eats batteries, and not only when one is using it... they go dead when it is just sitting.

otherwise, a nice device, even if the quality of the photos and vids is mediocre.

Jim

Jay Murakoshi
05-13-2009, 06:11 AM
Paul,

Thanks for the information regarding the videos. Today, I'm going to try and down load the footage to my website. I broke the footage into 4 sections and now they are in mb and not gb.

Jim,

It don't have a problem with batteries. I can shoot at least 6 hours of footage. I have to go into the menu and redo my auto shut off. I've been changing batteries daily to keep a fresh set in the camera

Thanks

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
05-13-2009, 07:00 AM
Scott,

I have an FTP site for my website. I'll have to check into that and see what I can do.
I'm down loading a portion of the video to Vimeo and will encode it for my site and Bill's BB

Going out fishing tomorrow, hopefully for some dorado, marlin, wahoo and maybe the 100lb pez gallo

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
05-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Coming Soon !

I'm presently down loading the video's to my website. I created a new page called "My Video's"

The Baja video's will be in 4 segments. It must be large because it's taking a long time to publish the video to the page

Stay Tuned

Jay