PDA

View Full Version : Is that a seal eating my shad?

Simo
05-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Last week for a couple of days, my neighbor stated that he saw a seal down near Paradise beach on the American River munching on Shad. I live in River Park and fish and hike along the river but have never seen a seal. This time of year I see alot of drunken beach goers but never a seal.

How far upstream have you seen one? Do they really eat Shad?

Phil Synhorst
05-11-2009, 09:27 AM
I've seen them many times around Discovery Park/Old Sac area. Usually when Stripers are running heavy. I believe they are usually Sea Lions.

luvtocatchem
05-11-2009, 09:40 AM
ive seen fur bags up past knights landing.

OceanSunfish
05-11-2009, 10:11 AM
There were some up at the Meridian Bridge on the Sac last summer.

Obviously the food chain is out of balance for I don't think the 'fur bags' actually want to spend time in Meridian, Cal Expo, et. al.

inclinejj
05-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I think they go where ever the easy meals are..nothing in the Ocean head into the Bay..nothing into the Bay head up river..

I will try to dig up some info about the Columbia River Seals and Sea Lions eating Salmon and Steelhead

Kevin Goding
05-11-2009, 04:22 PM
The sea lions follow their food. After talking to a biologist, it's pretty routine to see them up this far in the valley, but I can't recall how far they can actually travel upriver. It was pretty far though, which surprised me.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Like the Seagulls and Pelicans up from the ocean?

Mrs.Finsallaround
05-12-2009, 08:49 AM
We saw a sea lion last night swimming OUT of the American as we were headed UP from Discovery...