PDA

View Full Version : hittin' the ponds

medfly
05-10-2009, 11:50 AM
hit some warmwater ponds for the first time since i learned to cast over 14 years ago. needed to shed my trout dryfly elitist chains. had a blast, caught my fair share of bluegills, pumpkinseeds, and crappie. however, what i really wanted was a carp or a bass. saw alot of both. been looking up a lot about carp flyfishing, trying to get some tips down and i feel like i have got some good idea of what i need to do to make it happen. i think my summer goal is to land a carp. for the bass, saw a lot of good sized bass, looks like they were on their beds. i have never fished for bass, any tips for a newb, it seemed i would have had better luck with a bow and arrow. thanks for any tips. -medfly

David Lee
05-10-2009, 12:03 PM
....... caught my fair share of bluegills, pumpkinseeds, and crappie. however, what I really wanted was a carp or a bass......... I have never fished for bass, any tips for a newb, it seemed I would have had better luck with a bow and arrow. thanks for any tips. -medfly

I'll be more than happy to help !!!

First - you need to PM me directions to the pond so I can see what the problem is ..... Don't bother posting the location in public , we can keep this between the two of us .

David

(Totally kidding - but I am willing to help !!)

robdog
05-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Medfly, I will give you the same info I gave oldtroutbelly
Two ways I hunt for them. Always involves weeds. Subsurface & topwater. I like topwater more, cause most of the time, I land them. Subsurface is harder, cause a Bass could take your fly, but go straight into the weeds. Here is a link (http://www.westfly.com/feature-article/0008/feature_235.php#retrieve) to provide some detail instructions on stillwater fishing. I know it talks about trout, but it can be informative. This Steve Ojai's webpage raps about fishing stillwater as well (http://stevenojai.tripod.com/lake1.htm). Also, I recommend that you check out Flyfishing guide for Bass. It's a book by Barry Reynolds & John Berryman. It is called Beyond Trout (ISBN #:1-55566-156-4). Great ideas & tactics. Also has info about Bass lifespan & traits.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Many of us have been around a lot of carp in clear water and they don't seem interested in flies?

I think you need to be in a very special setting where carp are actually feeding on something? It could be fruit, vegetation or insects or crayfish ???

Some lakes around the USA are noted for carp fishing with flies.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

I watched a Flip Pallot TV show back in the southeast where he drove and met someone out of a fly shop or a guide who specialized in Carp.

The fished in a big pond that was lined with Mulberry trees. As the berries hit the water the Carp swam over and eat them. They had a special fly that made the same 'plunk' when it hit the water and looked and sank like the real thing.

I think you need to find Carp feeding on something and "match the hatch"....