PDA

View Full Version : 5/8 report

Charlie Gonzales
05-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Fished with Jeff C last night around Gristmill with pretty decent action; we each caught around 15 fish between 5 and 7:30. My orange Candy Striper was working well durring the day( I had caught around 15 beforre I picked jeff up), but once he gave me one of San Diego Bruces' flies, thats all they ate, except one time I had two fish eat one of each(double fly rig). And Jeff had big fish of the night with about a 4# hen.

Get out there and get some!

Phil Synhorst
05-09-2009, 04:59 PM
After the tease yesterday, "hooking up the boat right now", I was wondering how much longer we'd have to wait for a report.:wink:

And it was worth it, the first report of good numbers. I'm glad to hear you guys had a good day.:thumbsup:

p.s. now I'm even more disgruntled I couldn't take you up on that 1/2day opening you had......soon enough though.

Jeff C.
05-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Hey Charlie!

Thanks for taking me out Friday evening. I had a blast! I went snowboarding Sat. morning and tried Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning and afternoon for nada. I ran into Adrian at Watt about mid-day Sunday. Boy, he sure can spey cast! The water looks great in the upper river but they are not up there yet.

Jeff C.

ALAN MAX
05-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Jeff how are the flows down around the L hole?can it be wade fished/

Jeff C.
05-11-2009, 02:53 PM
It's still tough with the flows around 4K. I haven't seen too many people wading. There are a bunch of bankies spin fishing around the middle river. I only saw 2 guys in waist deep water fly fishing at Watt on Sunday. The boaters are doing well.

ALAN MAX
05-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Jeff thanks for the info I think i'll break out my ladder and give it a go.

Jeff C.
05-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Alan,

Are you the guy with the Z-Axis and the slick ladder I saw last year at the Log Hole? That's about the only way you could fish the Log Hole in the slower water. Wading up to your waist near the top is tough because the water is moving so fast. I could hardly stand in one spot with the water at mid-thigh. Good luck!

Jeff

ALAN MAX
05-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Jeff we fished the log hole last year off our ladders! I have had great success off the ladder,it gets me to water others can't get to. I guess I need to break down and learn to spey cast.

Jeff C.
05-12-2009, 02:26 PM
I remember asking you if you spey casted that Z-Axis switch last year. I got a 7 wt Winston switch rod and I use it SH with shooting heads, LC-13 and a steelhead line and DH with a Skagit head. Jeff Putnum is a great instructor if you wan to learn how to spey cast.

ALAN MAX
05-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Jeff that was fishing partner, he is throwing the switch. I'm still throwing a 10' 7w xp. I had a bad experience with what I call a spey snob at sailors bar steelheading.I told myself if this is what we evolve in to I'm OUT.But boy they can sure clear out.

Jeff C.
05-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi Allan,

You guys sure did good that morning you showed up at the Log Hole at 0 dark 30 last year and used glow in the dark flies. I agree with you that spey casting can present a problem in a crowded spot. If I'm fishing for steel head I would rather find some place with little or no people.

Jeff

ALAN MAX
05-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Jeff are glow in the dark flies cheating?

Jeff C.
05-13-2009, 12:48 PM
I personally don't think so. I have a few in my own fly box and use a Loon UV pen light to engergize them.

ALAN MAX
05-13-2009, 01:38 PM
We started using a flash from a 35mm camera, but have advanced to the same, it is pretty cool to get those grabs in low light!