PDA

View Full Version : New rotary vise ?

Renegade Fisher
05-08-2009, 01:21 AM
I have been fly tying for around 20 years and have decided to upgrade my Regal to a rotary vise and would appreciate some advice. I mainly tie #16 to #12 nymph patterns and pre-summer get into 2/0 to 6/0 saltwater patterns. The reason for going to rotary is it's more suited to the baitfish saltwater patterns I want to tie. The Dynaking Barracuda looks the best...any advice would be appreciated. Any thoughts on pedestal versus clamp base ?

R.F.

WT
05-08-2009, 07:27 AM
I have a Renzetti rotary which with a clamp, and when I get a chance here I am going to buy the pedestal, because I think it will be more portable... the clamp just isn't my thing.

Have you considered a nor-vice? I have never tied on one, but they just strike me as interesting.

Hairstacker
05-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Asking about a vise brand is like asking about favorite rod brands. :lol: That said, I don't tie on a "true rotary" (I tie on an HMH Standard) and have never owned a Barracuda, so I can't offer any comments based on 1st-hand experience. What I have heard is somewhat paradoxical -- many have said the Barracuda holds hooks better than just about any other vise in existence to the point that you have to be careful you don't damage the hook by over-tightening, while others have complained of slippage due to the jaw surface design. Also, some have noted the somewhat bulky collar restricts rear access to smaller flies. It seems to be manufactured with excellent materials and outstanding quality control and is widely considered a top-level, premium vise. Those are my impressions, anyway, from listening to others.

In any case, I highly recommend you go through the following three sources of information:

1. At the following website link is a review of many vises, including the one your're considering, by Hans Weilenmann, an internationally respected fly tier. Although the review was done in 2006, it is still pretty current, as vises haven't changed much since then. Make sure to read the "Intro" section, as it discusses jaw design, which is pertinent when you're contemplating the Barracuda and others:

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index.html

2. At the two following website links, you will find over a thousand people piping in with what vises they own and many of them have provided comments on vises they own and/or used to own. There are in fact many comments regarding the vise you're considering. The trick is to weed through the comments and look for factual details, such as: Did the owner find that the vise held hooks securely? Did the owner experience any design flaws, substandard materials, or quality control issues? Did the vise operate smoothly and offer good access to smaller hooks? Etc., etc. I've read through both threads and believe you will find the information invaluable:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=4319

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=36589

As far as clamp vs. pedestal, I started out with a clamp and then ended up using the pedestal most of the time. I found the pedestal more convenient, because it's easy to just pick the whole thing up to examine a fly at different angles, it allows you to tie on surfaces that won't accept a clamp, and I have found it to be sufficiently stable for how and what I tie. The disadvantage of the pedestal is that it's not as portable due to its weight -- a small clamp is a heck of a lot lighter than a 4 lb pedestal base. Thus, I prefer to own both and utilize them consistent with these considerations.

At the following link, you will find over 200 folks piping in with their own preferences between clamps and pedestals, with many, many comments as to why they chose/prefer one over the other:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=27199

Good luck! I may be warped but I think it's exciting to be in the market for a new vise. :lol:

SHigSpeed
05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I have a Danvise and I love it. It's cheap and gets the job done.

Regarding the pedestal vs. clamp. First thing I did when I got my Danvise was put it on a pedestal, but soon after I found that using it clamped worked better - especially if you really use the rotary feature.

That said, I perhaps could just get a bigger, heavier pedestal.

_SHig

Jgoding
05-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I love my Nor-vise. It can pricey if you order all the accessories but the base model would meet your needs although I would recommend the fine point jaws for those hook sizes as they're designed more like a traditional vise than the standard jaws. I'm sure the Dynaking is good too. It was going to be my first choice but the Nor-vise peaked my interest at the last minute cuz you can do some cool things with it.

And the automatic bobbin is cool too!

JD
05-08-2009, 11:52 AM
The Dyna-King Barracuda would be a fine choice, and the pedestal is far superior to clamp unless you tie in the exact same place exclusively. As Hairstacker points out, the ability to pick up and move is key, but I disagree that the weight is really a concern. You can use a pedestal on any flat surface whereas you must use a clamp on a table with a certain width or less (and that you don't mind potentially damaging) or you are completely out of luck. If you never plan on moving/travelling with the vise, a clamp would serve, but then weight never really is an issue.

For the range of flies you want to tie, the standard jaws of a Dyna-King will serve just fine. Can't say I'd recommend a Danvise nor a Norvise...the former is primarily plastic and the latter is for someone who wants to tie rotary style exclusively. They both have their adherents, as you can tell. Renzetti's are fine vises but I just don't like them for larger flies (>1/0). They just don't hold the hook well enough, in my opinion.

Good luck.

SHigSpeed
05-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Point of interest:

You all need to check out the clamp on the Danvise. Totally different from the el-cheapo hardware c-clamps that most other clamp type vises use.

Very easy to adjust and mount, non-damaging, and good for a huge range of table thicknesses.

_SHig

PaulC
05-08-2009, 09:24 PM
What Hairstacker pointed out is so true. Vises are like rods when it comes to opinions.

I've been using a Renzetti Masters vise for years. Granted, it is expensive, but is a solid vise for the super tiny to the larger 6/0 hooks.
I have a fishing problem, as my wife tells me, so the vise has seen quite a bit of use.
I have never had any issues holding large hooks and reefing down on large saltwater patterns.
With the ocean at my doorstep, most of the patterns are #8 to 6/0, but I still tie tiny stillborn emergers, midge patterns, etc.
I liked the fact I did not need to change jaws for size reasons, no serrations on the jaws, and the pedestal base is solid.
I'd give a few vises a spin (literally since we're talking rotary) at your shop, and see what feels the best and fits the budget.
-P

rtb215
05-08-2009, 11:31 PM
I started with an el cheapo that came with a kit as a beginner, that vise lasted a couple of weeks and traded up for a Regal. A very good vise. Bought a Barracuda and use the rotary constantly. The cost was a bit to swallow however I never looked back.
Cant comment on the Renzetti, never used one.

Fats
05-09-2009, 08:55 AM
I've got a pair of Renzetti traveler vices... one pedestal in my traveling kit and a clamp that stays set up on my bench. I got tired of tearing my bench down when I was going on an extended trip.

I've never had any issues with the renzetti jaws holding hooks but I have the older knob adjusted jaws as opposed to the cam lever. I've never tied on the cam-lock style. With the older jaws if you put the bend of the hook on the front screw... you can pretzel most salt water hooks without the point moving at all. Once again, I've never tied on the cam style heads... it may be an issue. Can't say.

I've got a Norlander as well, but I find it somewhat limited. It is very good at what it does, but I don't think I'd like if for my only vice.