PDA

View Full Version : Sage 590-3 LL for sale/trade

Mike R
05-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I acquired this rod thinking that I would like to have a nice, soft dry fly rod, but since I don't ever fish with a 5wt, I would like to see it go to someone who will use it.

Here's the goods:
Sage 9ft 5wt 3pc LL (lightline), graphite III, EXC condition (I was amazed how clean it is considering the age), factory tube and sock. I can send pics if you really want them, but this rod looks like a brand new LL, only 10-15 years later.

$325

If you are interested in trades, I am looking for:
Saltwater 8-9 wts
Spey rods (esp 12.5-13.5' 7-8wts)
Rotary vises (Dynaking or Renzetti)

Thanks,
Mike

easymends
05-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Probably the best pure dry fly 5 Weight Sage ever made in my opinion. Damn, wish I had the dough for this. Should go fast.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Most everyone who worked at Kiene's Fly Shop back about 20 years ago had a Sage LL or two or three. They came in 2 piece and 3 piece models.

I had the 590-3, 490-2 and 389-2 LL.

This was a wonderful smooth action series that sold extremely well for some time.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

One summer about 20 years ago I went to Montana in early July with Rick Jorgensen and Don Rotsma who have been going back there for about three decades. They are two of the best fly fisherman I get to fish with on occasion. When I spend time with them I always learn something new. Don helped me land a 20 inch plus wild Rainbow trout at the Railroad Ranch on the Henry's Fork.

I had just bought a new Sage 490-2pc LL rod and put a new CFO III reel on it with a WF4F Cortland 444 Peach line. I had added a counter balance on the reel and we learned that trick from top fly fisher Hal Jansen. We stopped in Mike Lawson's fly shop and picked up some small local adult may fly patterns. I had on 6x tippet and a #16 PMD that I down-streamed into that nervous fish that was rotating around one of those large submerge rocks. I made about a dozen well timed cast over a half hour period and that fish finally just eat my bug.

It took off and screamed like a bonefish almost spooling me so Don and I chased it downstream and landed it on the other side of the river. Don got a quick photo of it that is on his web site. It was my first time fishing the Ranch after hearing stories about it for too many years.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

When you work in a fly shop you get special pricing so you can have nice tackle to fish with so every so often when new rods come out you sell the discontinued and move on the new models. That is why we don't have those LLs home in our closets but many of our customers probably do.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

One of my favorite rods in this class today is the new Sage ZXL which is their delicate presentation classic trout series. They are in #2 to #6 line sizes and are great for trout streams making short to medium distance presentations.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

I think that rod might be worth that much money because it is a very special, memorable rod for many of us.

590Mike
05-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Aaahhhh decisions decisions something's gettin sold. Keith Kanecko said it best the 590LL is one of the few rods that cast like they have a soul. Or was that Alan who said that when I bought my 2 piece graphite II?

its time to start cashing in my soda bottles. that outta take Frank A back to the good ole days.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-11-2009, 10:19 PM
We use to collect glass soda bottle to trade them in at the grocery store so we could go to the "sit down" movie show on Saturday. Maybe for 3 cents each?

We walked to the Manor Theatre on Saturday where for a quarter we could watch stuff all day long in the summer. We were out of school and it was 100 degrees.

They had on going feature length movies with weekly cereals, news reels and cartoons.

We even had a yo-yo contest up on the stage my friend won.

I had a Bee paper route too and they had a free movie day at the Tower Theatre every summer. Kids brought rubber band for a rubber band war.

1950s.................no TV either.

Mike R
05-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Let's move this thing!

$300...offers entertained and don't forget trades!

Mike

Mike R
05-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Rod is sold. Thanks.

traviniakc
07-29-2017, 07:24 PM
Is the rod still available and if so interested in any trades?

I acquired this rod thinking that I would like to have a nice, soft dry fly rod, but since I don't ever fish with a 5wt, I would like to see it go to someone who will use it.

Here's the goods:
Sage 9ft 5wt 3pc LL (lightline), graphite III, EXC condition (I was amazed how clean it is considering the age), factory tube and sock. I can send pics if you really want them, but this rod looks like a brand new LL, only 10-15 years later.

$325

If you are interested in trades, I am looking for:
Saltwater 8-9 wts
Spey rods (esp 12.5-13.5' 7-8wts)
Rotary vises (Dynaking or Renzetti)

Thanks,
Mike