PDA

View Full Version : Maury Hatch again with Shad

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Maury must be out every morning?

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Today I fished the A.R. ,for shad, for a couple of hours with an amazing little dude. Miguel Cory is 7 years old and is able to fish an 8wt. with 300 grn line swinging for shad. He casts two handed using alot of water tension to load up the rod almost spay like. but really gets the job done.This is not new, believe it or not this is Miguel's 3rd shad season with a fly rod. He is truly a shad-striper junkie so it is easy for us to get along. Miguel's dad, a Captain on the Qualifier 105 (a long range boat out of San Diego), asked if I could take care of him for part of the morning. We decided to fish for shad on the A.R., he would rather fish for stripers but due to our late start,we settled for "poor mans tarpon". It was pretty slow going but we moved around and finally found a few fish. Miguel landed 3 jacks and we had a great time.
Maury Hatch.

jlmelend
05-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Strong work, both of you!

malbers
05-07-2009, 08:32 AM
I have fished several times with Miguel, he is 7 and will the first to get his line in the water, and the last to take it out. He is a true fishing machine. I have never heard a kid complain that he's not ready to be done fishing yet even though he started fishing a daybreak, and the sun is now gone. Get your reservation in now, I am sure he will be guiding by the time he is 13. You may have to drive the boat to the launch for him though.

OceanSunfish
05-07-2009, 11:07 AM
I love taking 'kids' fishing for shad. Great picture of Miguel. And, the Qualifier 105 is a pretty darn nice fishing vessel that his Father captains....

BTW, doesn't the American River looks absolutely beautiful with the flows of today? Especially with the spring foilage, etc. You can fool a lot of people into believing the picture of Miguel is from any other beautiful river in North America before they would say, "american river".