PDA

View Full Version : Land owners, state square off over canal planning

Scott V
05-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Taken from SacBee:

Dozens of property owners in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta are challenging a state demand to access land for studies related to a controversial water canal.

The state Department of Water Resources has filed court petitions in five counties seeking access to 36 properties whose owners have rejected the department's request for access. The first hearing on those petitions was scheduled today in Contra Costa County. The other affected counties are Sacramento, San Joaquin, Yolo and Solano.

DWR is in the preliminary stages of investigating a modern-day version of the peripheral canal, a concept rejected by voters statewide in 1982. The canal is being considered anew as a device to avoid direct water diversions from the Delta, which serve 23 million Californians but also kill millions of fish and alter aquatic habitat.

The proposed earthen canal would divert a portion of the Sacramento River's flow at a point near Freeport and deliver it around the Delta directly to water export pumps near Tracy. The canal would be up to 50 miles long and at least 600 feet wide, and would cost at least $10 billion to build.

DWR wants access to hundreds of private parcels for a three-year period to study soil conditions, habitat and wildlife. The information would inform preliminary studies on the canal. Some of the work would involve trenches 12 feet deep and 20 feet long, and drilling up to 200 feet deep.

Property owners say the requested access is overly broad and threatens farming practices and enjoyment of the land. Some also claim DWR has not established the necessary legal authority to begin studying a canal.

"The general feeling down here is that the state, egged on by its (water) contractors, is just going to try to roll over the Delta," said Tom Zuckerman, a property owner on Rindge Tract, an island near Stockton, who is challenging DWR's access request.

DWR spokesman Matt Notley said about half of the property owners it has contacted have granted access. He said the department doesn't want to harm land or property owners during the surveys.

"Any damage that occurs because of us, they'll be compensated," he said.

Darian
05-06-2009, 10:16 PM
It'll be interesting to see if the property owners will be able to deny access for this purpose. IMHO, there're too many precedents that were established in the past to successfully resist.

"Any damage that occurs because of us, they'll be compensated,". Seems like that's a hollow promise since, according to the state, these studies were not yet funded and we're supposed to be broke.

Of course, the trenches dug might be turned into warm water fisheries.... :lol:

Frank Alessio
05-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Has anyone seen the brand new pumping station at Freeport?? There are at least four pipes

big enough to drive a semi thru. The water is going to be pumped to the Vineyard area.

This can be found on the internet. The contractor for this project had never heard of

a p.... Canal. That is a lot of piping. Just envision more at the same place going South

There will not be much water left in the River..........

Darian
05-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Frank,.... the pumps are for Sacramento County to replace groundwater sources and East Bay Muni Utility District (EBMUD) water sales/distribution. A pipeline is being constructed to connect with the Folsom South Canal which will be extended to complete the connection for EBMUD. Now considering the volume of water committed from the Sacto River, add to that the amount that would be taken from the river if/when the volume for a peripheral canal is taken from the river, as well.... :( :(

windwalker
05-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Ah the wonderful peripheral canal......the property owners better get used to the government coming on to their property. If the state and PPIC get their way the property owners will also have to become familiar with the concept of "eminent domain." As to our fisheries, I find it hard to believe, like the PPIC argues, that a peripheral canal is an environmentally friendly option.

I actually just finished up writing a legal article on the Delta and its water issues. I attempted to to go about figuring out the relative value of certain water uses in relation to the economic value of certain ecosystem services provided by the delta, for example, commercial and recreational fishing. If anyone is interested in reading it PM me and I will send you a copy, I would appreciate some feedback.

Darian
05-07-2009, 10:32 PM
PM on the way.... :D