PDA

View Full Version : Bass

Rich Leonetti
05-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Ok. I went to Cameron Park Lake today and let me just say I have no idea how to cast any type of fly for bass. I saw so many fish 8 -12 inchers... and one so big I almost threw my rod down and jumped in after him...how the hell do you catch bass with a flyrod? I tried clousers , wooly buggers, poppers.....I suck ... I should just stick to trout...

Darrin.Deel
05-05-2009, 09:30 PM
keep doing it and stay positive

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Go up again in the evening and fish a small popper or hair bug near the edge of the weeds.

As it warms up I love that last hour or so after the sun gets off the water.

Don't move your bug much, just twitch it a little.

A float tube, pontoon boat, canoe or kayak is an advantage.

Maybe after a few days of warm weather we can get a small group up there?

David Lee
05-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Ok. I went to Cameron Park Lake today and let me just say I have no idea how to cast any type of fly for bass. I saw so many fish 8 -12 inchers... and one so big I almost threw my rod down and jumped in after him...how the hell do you catch bass with a flyrod? I tried clousers , wooly buggers, poppers.....I suck ... I should just stick to trout...

OTB -

You're not doing anything 'wrong' - those Bass you see are (most likely) on beds and ain't too keen on eating . If you see them crusing .... toss a small nymph (Olive Birdnest) in front of them and let it sink .

BK is on the right track - throw small Poppers against the bank and fish them quietly .

David

Scott V
05-06-2009, 08:48 AM
I have been at Cameron Park a couple of times in the last few weeks and have caught most of my bass on a size 10 popper. Your best bet is to throw right up against the tules. I have only been fishing in the late afternoon. I will probably be back out there again Saturday afternoon around 4, if you want to meet me I can show you how I have been fishing out there. It is slow right now but you can get a few fish. Just send me a PM.

robdog
05-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Sometimes you have to work the water. Just because you see them, don't mean they will bite your fly. Two ways I hunt for them. Always involves weeds. Subsurface & topwater. I like topwater more, cause most of the time, I land them. Subsurface is harder, cause a Bass could take your fly, but go straight into the weeds. It can be frustrating. I recommend to you a Flyfishing guide for Bass. It's a book by Barry Reynolds & John Berryman. It is called Beyond Trout (ISBN #:1-55566-156-4). Great ideas & tactics. Also has info about Bass lifespan & traits. Keep it up. You might only fish for Bass w/ a Fly rod. I know I have more success w/ Bass than trout. I think, because Bass are way more aggressive & there are more places in Sac-Town for me to find them:unibrow:

Rich Leonetti
05-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Thank you all for the advice... I'm not giving up yet... I think next time I will take the Kayak or Tube. I've pretty much a chuck and duck nymph fisherman for trout. With a little dry fly success. So I am not used to sight fishing like this.... I would love to take you up on your offer too Scott but I gotta work Saturday.

Thanks again guys...