PDA

View Full Version : Cinco de Mayo Shad

Bryan Morgan
05-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Landed a couple of fish at Watt Ave. between 4-5 oclock. Missed quite a few fish. A guy that I taled to had 20 to the boat yesterday. They are definitely here.

Jeff C.
05-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Great to hear that you caught some Bryan. I'm heading out this evening after work down in the lower river.

lee s.
05-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Hey Jeff,
Spent yesterday (rainy day here) finishing up some "baby bugs" for shad. Finally replenished our surf-candy box too. It sure is hard to keep THAT one supplied as they are sooooo handy. ;-)
Anyway, I suspect the Russian is mud from the vineyards now, so we may come join the festivities in your country for a bit this w/e.
.....lee s.

Jeff C.
05-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey Lee S.

I've heard reports that they are being caught all the way up to Sailor Bar but I would concentrate down in the lower part of the river (Gristmill down). The flows are up so the Log Hole would be tough with a single hand rod. If all else fails there's alway Verona. I've tied a bunch of size 8 surf candies but have caught them only on size 8 and size 10 Bruce Specials (white antron tail with 2 strands of pearl tinsel, thin orange floss body, green wire rib, small chain eyes and a white floss head). Maybe I'll see you and Susan on the water.

Jeff

Jeff C.
05-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Hey Lee S.!

I just heard that Verona is blown out due to the increased flows. Looks like the American is you best bet.

Jeff

Bryan Morgan
05-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Great to hear that you caught some Bryan. I'm heading out this evening after work down in the lower river.

Thanks Jeff, with these higher flows I am having to use a #6 head. Also I can't say enough about a Monic running line that I picked up at the shop.

Jeff C.
05-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I've got the monic running line for my Skagit setup. Are you two handlng it now?

amoeba
05-06-2009, 04:09 PM
well nutz - having failed at Watt on sunday, I tried below H St for a ways and had no runs-hits-errors (no fish seen/felt). Saw no other fishermen there or boats.

Water temp was 58 degrees at 6 pm. Feels like bite should go WFO any day now.

My 225 gn, 24' tip seemed too heavy. May try again this eve.Will try upstream next, bring a kitchen sink of lines.

Bryan Morgan
05-06-2009, 06:13 PM
I've got the monic running line for my Skagit setup. Are you two handlng it now?

N0, still throwing a single hand rod. The guys the other day said they were taking fish in the fast water. I was catchiing mine in the seam.

jlmelend
05-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Tried the spot where I often run into you and no Shad - but hooked two Schoolie stripers in the froggy water on a #8 wet pinky! How's that for re-con?

Jeff C.
05-07-2009, 06:51 AM
Skunked last nite except for a 3 in steelhead parr caught while stripping my line in.