PDA

View Full Version : Down Syndrome Fly Fishing Day Report

Ryan Miller
05-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Friday, April 24, 2009 marked the date for the 3rd annual DownStream Fly Fishing event. Without hesitation, I will say that it was a HUGE success and a ton of fun for all. A big thanks to Sac-Sierra Chapter of Trout Unlimited, Certified Systems, Willow Creek Event Facilities, Propel, Northern Waters Fly Fishing, Sam's Club and ALL who helped out. I also want to thank the local fly fishing clubs for coming through with some of the best volunteers in our short history. Granite Bay, EC Powell, Davis Fly Fishers, and CFFU volunteers were patient, hand-on and engaged each student.

This year was the biggest and best event we have done so far. There were 19 students with Down Syndrome and 55 volunteers.

Lunch was one of the many highlights- thanks to Charlie Gonzales we ate very well. He served up grilled burgers, hot dogs, chicken and to compliment the main course he put out his home made potato salad and a beautiful spread of fruit. The site of the food alone was a work of art!

The event took place on a private ranch just outside Marysville and conveniently had a pond loaded with hungry Rainbow Trout! I am happy to say that EVERY student landed a fish, some even landed 5 or 6.

In summary, this year's event was incredible. I personally saw EVERY SINGLE student with a ear to ear grin throughout most of the day and in many instances I saw volunteers and students laughing at each other while trying to land fish.

Thanks again to EVERYONE who contributed to this event, I will see you next year for DownStream 2010!

My website will have a full photo album in the near future www.NorthernWatersFlyFishing.com.
Please see blog for a full report - http://ryanhmiller.blogspot.com/

Bob Laskodi
05-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Absolutely fantastic!!!!
A tip of my hat to you, Ryan, and all your helpers. The smile on all those kids faces is what life is all about!

jbird
05-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Ryan

What a great day. This is one of the best reports Ive ever read on this board. I used to be impressed with all the nice fish you catch, then you go do something like this and blow all that other stuff out of the water!
veryveryvery nice!

Jay

loganmike
05-03-2009, 09:57 PM
I can say it was one of the BEST days I have ever spent near or on the water! Thanks for letting me be a part of something VERY special ryan. I am looking forward to helping out in anyway possible again next year.

Me

k.hanley
05-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Out-stand-ing!!!!!! My hat's off to you Bri & Crew. Beautiful to those smiles.
Cheers, Ken

Jet
05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks for inviting Joey and I to this years event. Joey cut his Friday morning class to attend and it was well worth it for him to experience this special event. I was very proud of the way he handled himself giving casting lessions. I always make an effort to take kids in the neighborhood fishing but this event experience is beyond words. Thanks again for the invite.

Regards,

Joe

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i219/jetax/DownStream09JPG.jpg

troutbm
05-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Kudo's to all you guys ! Thats pretty cool what you guys did for those kids !

CODY
05-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Congratulations on the great event, thats pretty cool of you guys to set up an event for those kids. I'm sure they enjoyed it. I think all kids love to fish, atleast I do.

Charlie Gonzales
05-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Ryan, thanks again for letting me be a part of a great day, I look forward to the next one!

Joe, thanks for all the help getting the food ready, let me know when you and Joey are ready to go get some shad.

Hogan Brown
05-05-2009, 05:56 AM
Great Job buddy. Scarry to see how much Mark has grown up, this event has grown, and how old we are getting. Long time since we were tying poopah's at NC anglers and craming for exams in fish first....Good times. Keep up the great work.

charles
05-12-2009, 12:20 PM
As a parent of a special needs child I can really appreciate the work that was done and how much they enjoyed it. Keep it up! I am hoping to do something similar for children with autism. Thanks for the work and the inspiration. The difference you made for those kids and their parents you may never know. God bless you!
Charles