PDA

View Full Version : New 2009 Lowe Roughneck Jon boats

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-03-2009, 09:48 AM
http://www.loweboats.com/showroom/welded-jon/roughneck-jon/r1455.php

These are wonderful fly fishing boats.

14' and 16' are now 55" wide at the bottom which makes them extremely stable.

They have front and rear casting decks and a flat floor.

Contact Brian @ Sutter Marine in Yuba City for expert help in setting up your own boat.

Tracy Chimenti
05-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Those are good boats for us guys that drive a long ways. Light and durable. Sutter is the premier marine dealership in my opinion.

I had trouble finding Lowe jons in 14-feet with a 20-inch transoms, so I ended up buying a Fisher. Another durable little craft.

Tracy

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Good Tracy,

There are a bunch of good aluminum all welded Joh boats.

Tracker, Lowe, Fisher, Crestliner, Lund, Xpress, and G3(Yamaha) are just a few.

Some make a lighter series that has more rivets and a heavy duty series that is all-welded with a thicker .100" hull.

If you get interested in a Jon boat come in and talk to andy or myself for any help we can give.

Over the years I have owned 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16 foot Jon boats and I know what size motors work best on them.

trinity
05-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Bill steered me toward the Lowe Roughneck. I got the 1652 with a 50hp tiller pump, its a great river sled and I couldn't be happier with mine. Super light, fuel efficient, maneuverable, plenty big, totally awesome. Its also costs about half of what most of the bigger fancy sleds cost.

Tracy Chimenti
05-08-2009, 07:56 AM
I've got a 12-Fisher with a 40HP pump. I am thinking I will size-up to a 16-footer a few years..

Tracy

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-08-2009, 09:07 AM
I think your Fisher Jon boat is a 14 footer?

Tracy Chimenti
05-08-2009, 05:44 PM
You are right Bill. Thanks for the help. I guess I must be getting hot here and the ol brain is fading. Boat will run 30MPH with just me and the kid. 25 with another adult. 23 with two of us and yapping ussettled dog that has to make a move and talk trash on every mallard, egret, beaver we come across.

Tracy

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Bill Kiene,

Thank you for the kind words in your forum about our new 2009 Roughneck boats. I am pleased that you find the new design to be suitable for fly fishing as that was part of our goal. Of course, there are some compromises as these boats need to appeal to a broad range of users from duck hunters to cat fishermen.

Being a part of the design team and a long time fly fisherman I did consider the fly angler’s needs in its design.

My father taught me fly fishing when I was a young boy and we spent many late evenings catching Midwest bluegills on small poppers. My first fly rod was a hand-me-down made of tubular steel with a spring wound reel. That was the mid 1950’s. My first fiberglass rod (also a hand-me-down) was a revelation in easy casting.

I recall a trip to California where we stopped along the highway to fish for cutthroat trout in the Yellowstone River. Since those early years dad and I became close friends fly fishing our way from brown trout streams in Pennsylvania to Alaskan rainbows, grayling and kings. Dad is gone now but I keep retuning to the cooperative and hard fighting blue gills when I need to find solace from my work. Every boy and girl would benefit from and education in fly fishing.

Again, thanks for your support and let me know how we can make the boats even better.

John P. Metcalf
Vice President-Marketing
Lowe Boats
417-532-8923
2900 Industrial Drive
Lebanon, MO 65536

Rollingcs
08-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Does anyone know where I can see one of these new roughnecks. I've been trying to get a look at one to see if it's what I want. Been fishing a Valco 10 ft pram but have a camper for my truck and can't take both fishing without a trailer so I might as well go bigger! Want something that I can still fish Fall River with but get on bigger water also.

Ken

Darrin.Deel
08-12-2009, 12:41 PM
sutter marine in yuba city has lowes and g3's

Dabalone
08-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Does anyone know where I can see one of these new roughnecks. I've been trying to get a look at one to see if it's what I want. Been fishing a Valco 10 ft pram but have a camper for my truck and can't take both fishing without a trailer so I might as well go bigger! Want something that I can still fish Fall River with but get on bigger water also.

Ken

I would Google, "Lowe Boats", their website can give you dealer locations nearest you. Lot of people look to Sutter marine in Yuba City for outfitting their Lowe boat especially when it comes to custom rigging and pump propulsion. They usually have many different models in stock, but there are dealers closer to the Sacto area.

Rollingcs
08-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the reply's, I have talked to all the dealers in california and no one has one or ordered any.

Ken

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-13-2009, 08:37 AM
It's the tough economy.................I think Brian @ Sutter Marine in Yuba City should have some this fall.