PDA

View Full Version : North fork feather ???

troutbm
05-03-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm trying to get some summer trips planned out and one spot I have been eyeing is the north fork feather from around pulga up to the outlet of Almanor. Can anyone give me an idea of how this river fishes ? I also see the the east branch north fork in the same area, Does it fish well. I assume the area is pretty much typical fast action sierra fishing for smallish fish with a chance at some nice ones? I'm looking at early to mid june for this trip. Also would like ideas on a campground that is decent and pretty close if not right on the river, Running water and hookups are not needed, A cheap or even free national forest campground would be best. Just looking for some general knowledge of the area not anyones honey holes. I know theres a alot of knowledge on this board so thanks in advance for any ideas guys.

El Rey
05-03-2009, 04:59 PM
First off, get a copy of Seth Norman's "Flyfishers Guide to Northern California." Ralph Wood has a whole chapter on the Feather.

From Pulga upstream is all good, except that by mid-summer the water gets pretty warm, and the fishing slows. Anyplace you can access the river will have pretty good fishing with some good sized fish. Try right at the Rest Stop or at the Tobin Bridge.

Just after Belden turn left on the road to Caribou. It follows the North Fork. There are three Forest Service campgrounds right on the river with stocked fish there. Farther upstream there are nice, but smaller, wild fish, but you often have to bushwhack through the berry vines to get to the water.

These are just of few of many options.

You're also in the area of Yellow Creek. Look it up in Norman's book.

Good luck,
El Rey

PS: none of this is secret.

Darrin.Deel
05-03-2009, 05:28 PM
down around pulga can be really good and really tricky for wild fish to 16". up around caribou the fish are planters. you do the math. pm me when your coming I will let you know what is going on...

speyfool
05-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I have a follow-up question. As someone who has never fished this river... How big is it up near Pulga? 20feet wide? 100 feet wide? Just wondering what rod I should take with me.

Thankya

Notch
05-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I would pass on Pulga and head farther upstream. The flows below Poe Dam are low (100 cfs) compared to the river below Cresta or Rock Creek, which usually runs between 250-300. Like Darrin said, Pulga can be tricky for those who don't know its secrets, so I would suggest focusing on the upper river. The water is easy to read as you drive along Highway 70 - if it looks fishy, there's probably trout in it. Stick with poxyback stones and small mayflies with lots of weight and fish the pockets hard! Good Luck.

Notch
05-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Just found this link through American Whitewater. Looks like the Cresta stretch will be out for May and June, and possibly into July.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Article_view_articleid_30366_display_full_

Link to current flows:

http://www.dreamflows.com/graphs/day.052.php

aaron
05-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Looks like cresta will be in :D
There's a classy establishment in Belden to grab a drink.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Check with Lincoln Gray @ Sierra Stream & Mountain Fly Shop in Chico, CA:

http://www.sierrastreamflyshop.com/

amoeba
05-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm trying to get some summer trips planned out and one spot I have been eyeing is the north fork feather from around pulga up to the outlet of Almanor. Can anyone give me an idea of how this river fishes ? I also see the the east branch north fork in the same area, Does it fish well. I assume the area is pretty much typical fast action sierra fishing for smallish fish with a chance at some nice ones? I'm looking at early to mid june for this trip. Also would like ideas on a campground that is decent and pretty close if not right on the river, Running water and hookups are not needed, A cheap or even free national forest campground would be best. Just looking for some general knowledge of the area not anyones honey holes. I know theres a alot of knowledge on this board so thanks in advance for any ideas guys.

I have been to that area; the very top part, from what you call "the outlet of Almanor" (I believe you mean Canyon Dam) to Seneca is essentially unfished, but the fishing is decent since there is hardly ever any spill from the lake, the tribs come down quickly. The base releases are low - could be better (and will be soon, when FERC issues a new license, due next year or so). You can access the lower end from Seneca a little ways, but not much, or bust brush from some minor tributaries on the west side but it is tough and it will take a long while - like hours, to go a half mile. Other than that, there are some poorly labeled, beat-up, unmapped, 4WD trails that go to some access points on the west side but there are gold miners to deal with; you can wind your way in there from Butt Valley Dam. There's a road on the east side that goes up to canyon dam but it is something like a 700 foot nearly vertical drop down to the river (which requires binoculars to see, its so far down there). So maybe if you are a rock climber with alot of rope.....

There's lots of camping at various places around Almanor (which also has good fishing), and several around town of Belden, I believe. The reach downstream of the top reach, known as the "belden reach" (I think from Belden forebay to Belden - town below Gansner Bar), has also good fishing - for stockers. It is much easier to access there. Bait fishing is probably allowed. Just so you know.

The other "outlet" from Almanor, is the tunnel from Prattville to Butt Valley reservoir. That's where most of the water goes. I have heard that you can fish for big trout there on a fly that imitates a ground up pond smelt but I have never done it.

Low base flows in both Belden and Seneca reaches are due to change for the better (for fish) with a new pending FERC license in next year or so.

windwalker
05-05-2009, 02:52 PM
"The other "outlet" from Almanor, is the tunnel from Prattville to Butt Valley reservoir. That's where most of the water goes. I have heard that you can fish for big trout there on a fly that imitates a ground up pond smelt but I have never done it."--------originally posted by amoeba

I have fished this before, and the fishing can be good for both rainbows and browns. The problem is timing. The fishing is only good when the pumps are running, which is sporadic. When the pumps are running the smolt are ground up, which turns the fish on. When they are not running..........good luck. Generally it seems like the pumps are run more frequently later in the summer, around August. That is when I have had my best success. The local fly shop in almanor has the flies you need, their like a size 4-10 smolt, filled with foam. The idea is to dead drift them on a floating line, and hold on. Most use heavier tipit, like 2x, with a 6wt or 7wt.