PDA

View Full Version : Fun in the rain .....

David Lee
05-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Ted1 and I went out for a few hours yesterday .......

Ted took me to a very small strip pond . It didn't look like much ..... and with another pelting of rain just minutes out , I didn't expect great fishing .

The catching was so good .... it was almost stupid . You couldn't unhook a Bass and toss your fly over the side of the tube long enough to wipe your hands without yet another hookup .

Ted cycled thru several different patterns , as I did . I found that a Birdnest racked-up the best response . We cleand house to the tune of 100+ per .

One minor 'problem' - there wasn't a fish in there OVER 8 inches . Three year classes , as far as I could tell - 2-inch , 4 1/2 inches , and 7-8 inches . All LMB , all fat as hogs (???!!???) , all seemingly unfished . No Sunnies/Carp to be found , but a pleasant amount of other wildlife (Coots , Quackers , Geese , a semi-tame Muskrat , etc. ) .

I'll post photos after photoshopping-out landmarks -

David

P.S. - Don't bother asking - I wouldn't tell my Mom where this one is !!

Hairstacker
05-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Sounds like a very fun time. :D

Interesting about the sizes and that they were "fat as hogs." Maybe newly stocked? Sounds like it has good potential for the future if those bass are getting enough to eat to be fat?

David, if you don't already have a 2 or 3 wt. rod, it sounds like it might be time to get one. :D

Darian
05-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Hmmmm,.... All the same size.... All fat.... Hungry too.... A "strip pond".... David, you sure you weren't fishing in a HATCHERY pond.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

David Lee
05-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Mike -

Ted used his new TFO 2 wt. , he found it ideal !

Dunno about how/when/by who it was planted - I fished it HARD and couldn't break the 8-inch limit which I found a bit strange ..... I might go back in a while and drag the BIG stuff along , just to see .

Hmmmm,.... All the same size.... All fat.... Hungry too.... A "strip pond".... David, you sure you weren't fishing in a HATCHERY pond.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seemed like what I would imagine that to be . Not a single skinny/stunted one to be found .

You're going to love this - I used the fatty corkie (as usual) ..... those lil' devils ate the damn indicator OVER 30 times !?!

It would have slightly more cool if they'd have run around 3-5 Lbs. in those numbers ..... !

D. -

ted1
05-02-2009, 03:39 PM
The 2 weight was perfect for those little guys, good up to prob 14-16" bass I would say. (Can't wait to try it out at Red for brookies) Today when I went to the pond we were going to go to yesterday and had "something" take me into my backing in a few seconds. Now I just need a new 4 weight. While looking for bass, also found 40 sunnies and bluegill. Only 4 bass, 12-14"