PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report

Jay Murakoshi
05-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Here's my first fishing report from Baja. All I can say if the next 6 weeks are like today, you people who are schedule for the following weeks better learn to prefect your knots and get your arms in shape.
The early mornings can be cool (for some) so I would pack a wind breaker but you'll have it off by 8:30am. After getting bait, we headed towards the "88" which is a few miles past Cerralvo Island, can be a long ride if the dorado aren't there. We hit 7 buoys and I only hooked 6 dorado, all small. Maybe 15lbs was the largest. A far cry from the photo's I saw yesterday. BUT, there are big numbers of BIG marlin in the same area. We saw one feeding school that had at least 20 marlin breezing the top and all lit up. I hooked 3 and farmed all three. Buck Fever. I hooked 2 more and my knot failed, so guys when I'm in your boat, I'm knot tying any knots. On the way back in, I had at least 20 more shots are breezing marlin but they weren't interested in eating. We also found the dorado to have lock jaw. We headed to the beach in search of the "grande" pez gallo and we weren't let down. After the first baits went out, that old sound of splashing and swirling was all over the place with large "rooster dorsals" cutting through the surface. I landed two small ones around 12 lbs but got school by one that we estimated to be around 50lbs. Broke the T-14 line. I was using the TFO Mini Mag most of the time except for the marlin. There I used the TFO BW LD. I would say the smallest marlin was around 80 and the largest had to be 120 +.

After playing with the roosters, we went over to Punta Perico to look for some Jacks. We found them up against the rocks chasing bait. The schools were huge, at least 100 in the school and the weight around 15 to 25 lbs. A great test for the Mini Mag to try and keep them out of the rocks. There was one fish that I couldn't keep out of the rocks and that was a Pargo Rojo. He was HUGE and took me straight into his house. There are huge schools of pargo all around the area.

That was the end of the day, I'll be going out tomorrow for a few hours since my driver has to be back early to pick up my first group at the airport.

I hope to have some GoProHero cam video. Not sure if the thing was working. When I had one of the marlin on, I thought the video was running but after loosing the marlin, I check the camera and it was flashing, meaning that the battery had run out. We'll see what happens.

Jay

PS... Didn't look like the Swine Flu stopped any one from fishing the La Paz area

Darian
05-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Sounds like a great day playing with the billfish. :D Gotta get busy, tie some more flies and finish up my 9 wt., TFO blank for some Jacks and Roosterzzzzz. :D :D :D

Tony Buzolich
05-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Great start to the trip Jay.

How and what were you presenting to the marlin? We've seen them numerous times as well but could never get them to eat.

White Knight and stripping, sardina chum, trolling with a big double?

We've had several sails come in at once right into our chum but still no hook-ups this way.

Jay Murakoshi
05-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Tony,

we fed them the sardina's and then I made the cast and Efren would hit the fly with the bait. Strip, strip, strip EAT. I gotta wait until the turn. A few times I stripped the fly right out of their mouth. God what a rush.
I'm going to capture the video from the camera and see what we have

Just talked to one guy at dinner and they invited me for some suvichi (hell I can't spell)
He caught 6 wahoo today. One guy had a 40lb dorado and his buddy had a 45lb pargo.
Another boat caught a black marlin.
The fish are definitely here, It's only going to get better and too think the week of May 9 - 16th I have no one signed up. Guess it's gonna be tough fishing by myself. Maybe Efren will wet a line

The Fly.. It was made with the wig hair.. Brown on top, white on bottom.. 9" long
They shyed away from the pink fly.

Jay