PDA

View Full Version : Upper Yuba, Middle May?

BobVP
05-01-2009, 07:25 AM
I am thinking of making a trip to the Upper Yuba (Downieville) in the middle of the month. Anyone been up there yet? How about the "upper creeks" above Downieville (my favorite places....)?
Thanks for any information

troutbm
05-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Its a great fast action fisherie ! The flows are currently at 515 at sierraville and 1,300 below goodyear. May can be a crap shoot, Probably will be fishable but will not be in prime shape.

easymends
05-01-2009, 08:43 PM
My vote is wait till June. Great fishery though with lots of good water.

jayclarkflyfishing
05-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Its a great fast action fisherie ! The flows are currently at 515 at sierraville and 1,300 below goodyear. May can be a crap shoot, Probably will be fishable but will not be in prime shape.

The Yuba flows through Sierraville?You must mean Sierra City.

Still a bit of snow melt to take place after that the flows will come down.The tribs will be the first to come into shape.Lots of small fish with a few decent ones to keep things interesting.Have Fun!!

Jay

troutbm
05-02-2009, 09:47 AM
You are correct, my mistake.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-02-2009, 01:16 PM
On average I think June/July is better timing for that area of the Yuba but if you have to go, have fun.

If you are going trout fishing dozens of times this summer then just go, but if you only have a trip or two that you can pull off you need to go prime time.

June is a top month for trout at the mid-elevation.

markem8
05-04-2009, 10:39 AM
I have made a couple of camping trips to the NF of the Yuba for Memorial Day weekend in the past and the river has had a lot of runoff (high, fast and brown) at that time. I didn't even bother trying to fish it, but did have some luck in some of the smaller streams in the area. Tailwaters and small streams with limitted runoff might be your best bet for mid-May.

Good luck!

troutbm
05-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Its raging right now over 1,000 cfs at sierra city. The weekend rains blew everything out again.

BobVP
05-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks folks....
I have fished the area several times before but never as early as May so the information was good to get. Guess I'll put it off to later in the year.
Lavazolla remains one of my favorites and I am anxious to get back there.