PDA

View Full Version : The Pit this weekend

esummers
04-30-2009, 12:28 PM
All,

I was thinking about heading to the Pit for the first time this weekend. I was wondering how you thought the weather (sounds like rainy and cool) this weekend would impact the fishing? Any other advice you can provide on the Pit would be apprecatiated as this is my first visit. And Yes, I've read the nightmare stories about the tricky wading. While that part doesn't thrill me, it sounds like the fishing is worth the effort.

Thanks for your help

jhaquett
04-30-2009, 12:35 PM
If you're not thrilled or at least looking a little forward to the adventure of the Pit, I wouldn't go. If you are not wading through unpredictable water and traversing over slippery boulders, you will be pushing your way through 6 foot Stinging Nettle. It is a fantastic time if you like this kind of adventure, but otherwise, you might want to avoid it (at least Pit No. 3).

Xnjb707X
04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
I was up at the pit a few weeks ago and the fishing was awsome. Fished #3 down to #4 which is all good water except for the presents that the pit give me, a hole or two in my waders and almost breaking my rod, and a few nice bruses on my a$$. Everything I read on the pit was that it is a rough river to navigate through, and that is the truth, I never thought I would need a wading staff but after almost falling a few times in the first 15 minutes there I broke off a nice stick and it helped me through the day. If you pace yourself and take your time walking through the water <very carefully> you will find your self into some nice fish. Oh yeah, watch out for the rattle snakes.

- Nic

Craig Nielsen
04-30-2009, 10:59 PM
The Pit has been fishing very well and on opening weekend, numerous folks arrived for a spring sample of the feast. Some friends reported that the fishing was not as good as advertised and indeed the change in weather did cool down the bite a bit. The more accessible spots also were fished heavily which made it even more difficult for folks who don't know some of the more out of the way spots to find fresh water. The current forecast for rain and showers may foster a hatch and better grab but more importantly keep the masses away so that the more accessible water you are likely to discover fishes well enough. Do bring a staff and use it.
BTW The Pit is not for the faint of heart, nobody yet mentioned that the place is infested with poison oak as well. If you are able to suffer the challenging wading, rattlesnakes and poison oak, the fishing and catching can be well worth it!
Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Craig
PS You can check out our regular fishing reports on the Pit River at ShastaTrout.com. (http://www.shastatrout.com/fishing-reports/)