PDA

View Full Version : Bluegill flies?

ted1
04-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Anybody have any suggestions for top and sub-surface? I plan on hitting a pond with alot of small bluegill, but have never caught one on a fly. I just bought a TFO pro 2 weight and can't waight to try it out. After 66 small bass in an hour and a half on Sunday, I decided my 5 weight was a little too big.

Phil Synhorst
04-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Hey Ted, I don't think you could choose a less picky fish(fresh water), than pan fish.

For top water, foam poppers are #1. Apart from that, Elk Hair Caddis, Hoppers, Stimulaters, etc. The poppers are easiest because you don't have to continually dry them out.

Nymphs/Wets...close your eyes and pick one. Prince Nymphs, Hairs Ears, anything. Ants also, on top or sub-surface are killer.

Depending on the size of Gills you're going after, use medium/small sizes, 18 to 12(?). They can get smart after a while with the same fly, but their memory isn't that long. Change up for a bit, then you can go back to what worked before if you want.

Hope this helps, Phil

Scott V
04-30-2009, 08:20 AM
I prefer to throw nothing but top water for the blues, and this is my go to fly that I tie. It is called the "Orange Crush".

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0475.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0474.jpg

And here is what it catches out at Cameron Park. I got this little guy last week. I consider him small for that water.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP1522.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Maybe a fly the physical size of a honey bee to a grass hopper?

Hook size 10-12? Small poppers are nice.

Small black #10/12 wooley buggers work good.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Most #4/5/6 line trout outfits work well for Blue Gills.

__________________________________________________ ______________

For a special inexpensive light weight warm water species outfit Andy Guibord took a $99.00 TFO 7'6" #3 - 2pc rod and put a WF5F(uplined 2 sizes) beginner line which has a shorter belly and shorter front taper. This is a killer out fit for small water, especially out of a canoe or kayak, for smaller bass and panfish with smaller bugs.

Jeff C.
04-30-2009, 09:16 AM
I've caught them on a sz 10 Surf Candy.

john
04-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Phil's correct about their lack of discretion. That being said I'm a slave to sparkle buggers(weighted) in black olive, golden olive, and darker chartruese-short tail, no hackle. I've also switched to more size 8 hooks resulting in less "swallows", and since there's a limit of 10 on the lake I fish, I'm releasing alot more than I'm keeping.

Jay Murakoshi
04-30-2009, 10:10 AM
The best blue gill fly I have ever used is the green sponge body spider. I don't know if they still sell those bodies. I have 2,000 left. I bought enough so I wouldn't run out. You take rubber legs and thread it though the body. Use the small kink shanked hook by Mustad

Jay

Darian
04-30-2009, 10:28 AM
I too use the green sponge body fly with white or speckled round rubber legs. This fly floats well but will sink slightly after getting bit a few times but I've only found that to make it better. :cool: I haven't seen the green sponge bodies for a long time but there're some other colors in a few fly shops. :confused:

A variation of this fly is to use a green chenille body to use it as a wet fly. both versions are tied from size 12 thru 8. :D

robdog
04-30-2009, 05:55 PM
poppers work well. wooly buggers are ok for subsurface. Remember it's the presentation.

jburge
04-30-2009, 06:51 PM
ted1, see this thread:
http://kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16298

I discovered by complete accident, that just casting this little CDC out and doing an easy strip in, resulted in more fish than I could count. The other fly (top water) that was hot was a foam caddis. Buggy enough to look tempting and a small enough hook to catch 'em. Have fun!

John

David Lee
04-30-2009, 07:25 PM
I've come to depend on only one fly for most Sunfish situations .

An Bead-head (Gold or Copper) Olive Birdnest tied on a #10 Scud hook . A distant second would be a Prince (Peacock body) w/ siliflex/spandiflex tail and wings , between #10 and #14 . I've lost track over the years of the thousands of Sunfish I've landed using only those two flies .

If you want MEATY Sunnies ...... Dragon nymphs and Craws , both in #6 . I've seen Ed use an Autum Splendor to take some massive Sunfish , as well .....

David

Ed Wahl
04-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm with Phil on this one. Pretty much anything, although I'd lean more towards the smallish nymphs and buggers.

I've caught 'em on clousers, poppers, foam wonders of all kinds,trout dry flies, nymphs, crickets, worms, grubs, and even on big deer hair bass bugs. (Nope, not saying where that spot is, that little slot ;-) will just have to remain secret.)

I once watched Mr. Lee have as much fun as any 6 year old kid catching huge panfish with a nymph and and indicator.(bobber):unibrow:

Ed

Ted, sooner or later you're gonna run into big bass. Then you'll be shopping around for an 8wt and some giant sized flies. Mark my words.

David, it's getting about time to put together a little 'crew' for that panfish id thread of yours. I know a guy who can't fish but may be able to hold a camera. Or at least, carry a camera.

Phil Synhorst
04-30-2009, 08:20 PM
David, it's getting about time to put together a little 'crew' for that panfish id thread of yours. I know a guy who can't fish but may be able to hold a camera. Or at least, carry a camera.

Hey!!!!! That sounds like the selective service.:lol: Well it's a good thing I signed my card long ago. I'm up for taking photos, it would be nice just to get out with some friends, I'm going stir crazy already.:crybaby:

David Lee
04-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Ahhhhh yes - the Corkie !!

You can catch the crap outta 'em without one ..... but it isn't as fun as watchin' that thing skid .

Ted just left my house , and he IS ready to give Stripe a shot .

Phil can run the camera , as well as minding the cooler - It'd be cruel to make him shoot 'samples' whilst sober .

D. -

Ed Wahl
04-30-2009, 08:47 PM
The beginnings of the quest.

We'll have to start a new thread for this.

Sunfish photo ID'd, both pure and hybrid. As many as we can find.
We'll have to go back to Lagoon Valley too, I have a grudge to settle.:\\

What are you guys doing Saturday. The forecast is cloudy with a 40% chance of rain. You both know of my rain experience on our smallie spot. My bones tell me a repeat is imminent.

Ed

ted1
05-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Looks like I need a few supplies... Thanks!

Hairstacker
05-01-2009, 08:10 AM
I second David's suggestion of a beadhead olive Birdnest -- last time we fished a pond together, this pattern clearly outfished all others we tried.

Scott V
05-01-2009, 08:29 AM
In the last couple of months I have become a big fan and user of any material in Olive. It has out fished any other color for me with trout and gills.