PDA

View Full Version : A good week for CSPA and California fisheries

JerryInLodi
04-28-2009, 09:05 PM
We anglers have somethings to celebrate this week. Of course, the item that is on every-one's lips is the amending of AB 1253 to what amounts to empty legislation. IT took lots of effort and a broad coalition of people to get it done and CSPA's John Beuttler, working with the assembly committee did an outstanding job of working the halls.

Earlier in the week, SB 207, the Florez bill calling for a delta smelt hatchery was tabled. If passed, the hatchery raising of delta smelt would have been used as an excuse to remove the fish from the endangered species list and by doing so allow for even greater pumping.

Four days ago, CSPA and a coalition of environmental and fishing groups won the battle to clean up the damage done by off road vehicles on the Rubicon Trail when the Regional Board ordered El Dorado County and the U.S. Forest Service to clean up the and better manage the trail.

And finally, three days ago, CSPA refused to dismiss its complaint regarding flows on the Mokelumne, necessitating a series of hearings that may result in greater flows for that imperilled salmon fishery.

As I type, CSPA's Bill Jennings and attorney, Michael Jackson have finished two days of testimony arguing against conjunctive use of both the federal and state pumps to meet pumping demands from the south valley. The fate of this year's delta's water flows may rest on the outcome of this hearing.

Let's hope for a win on this one. It's immensely important for the health of the delta this year but also important that the delta not suffer further abuses that will take many more years of recovery.

Yes, it's time to celebrate but we still have some very long hard battles ahead of us. Stay focused, stay tuned in. Help by supporting CSPA with your dollars and when asked, letters and other support.

We can win the battles ahead as long as we stick together and make the effort.

Trout Nut
04-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks Jerry. You and CSPA are tireless fishery advocates without a doubt. I hope we can bring back our Salmon, Steelhead and Striped bass runs to levels from the 70s. I imagine a Bay-Delta watershed full baitfish and gamefish.

It is great to dream. Let's keep up the fight!