PDA

View Full Version : Lake natoma ponds

ted1
04-28-2009, 06:58 AM
I fished these years ago with conventional gear, with no luck, but there is very little shore access. Has anyone fished it with any type of small craft? I can do float tube, which would work fine, but can I get a boat (Either an 8 ft pram, or a 12 ft) in there?

Darian
04-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Can't respond to your request as I'm not sure I know what ponds you're referring to.... :confused: Can you describe where these ponds are located.... :question:

ted1
04-30-2009, 06:53 AM
Well, you can either access them by doing a diagonal from the boat ramp near the dam at lake natoma or from the bike trail, they are on both sides, or walk a mile or so in towards the lake across the old teichert readymix plant plains (Park at the intersection of Maine and Sunset). Or and shadow glenn riding stables, going south. I'm fairly certain there are some big fish there, I saw something hit the water, and it sounded like someone threw in a bowling ball from 20 ft up.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-30-2009, 09:01 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=38.646338,-121.216192&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=15&sll=38.64007,-121.206579&sspn=0.024436,0.038452&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15

You can 'grab' that map and move it all over plus zoom in.

I don't think I have heard of those ponds either?

I know there are lots of ponds along the Lower American River and you can find them with these satellite maps.

Darian
04-30-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm familiar with branches off of the main lake that connect to it thru culverts. I've seen some good size pan fish in those areas but few Bass. I'd say you already know more about them than I. IMHO, if there's space to transport /launch a pram, they're always more comfortable than a tube. Try the tube first and then if it looks OK, try the pram.... :)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. :-|

Scott V
04-30-2009, 10:38 AM
When you are ready to go let me know. I will bring my pontoon and we can motor across from the launch ramp then help each other carry our boats into the ponds. I live just a couple of minutes away from Natomas. I am good to go either in the evening after work around 4:30 or on the weekend.

JT
04-30-2009, 02:46 PM
I've kayaked through there and caught quite a few small bass and tons of bluegill. You shouldn't have any problems getting back there with a pram.

ted1
05-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Perfect, I'll try it with a pram. Scott, I'll let you know when.
On the link that Bill posted, Where it says Folsom SRA, look right below it, and it's to the right of where Maine ave dead ends. There is alot of water back there, not alot of weed growth yet, but I hear there are alot of rattlers, so I feel alot more comfortable being in a boat. I was getting pretty nervous walking along the banks, stopping to inspect every curvy stick (I had the opportunity of urinating about 1 inch from a sleeping baby rattler a few years ago, scared the piss outta me-scared to death ever since.)