PDA

View Full Version : A new first

jburge
04-27-2009, 07:06 PM
OK, so it may be old experience to some, but hey... just landed my first LMB on a dry, Sunday morning. On a 3wt to boot. What a blast! He hit it as soon as it hit the water. Wow. Only two for the day, one on the dry and one on a bugger. But hey, I'm just waiting for that toilet flush hit when the hopper hits the water, and watching that 3wt bend completely over. What a blast ;-)

John

Ed Wahl
04-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Welcome to the club John.

This never gets old.

Ed

Hairstacker
04-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Congratulations John! Ed’s right, it never gets old. There’s just something electric about tying and tossing a wee little bug out there and having a predatory fish try to kill it in plain sight. No matter how much you expect it and even if it’s a v-wake that appears in full view from 10 feet away and heads directly for the bug at warp speed, it still never fails to startle. Always exciting. I hope for your sake that it was just the first of many. :D

Scott V
04-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Good job John, were you playing with those bass at Cameron Park? I had some great assaults on little poppers and my foam fly on a 3 weight on Sunday afternoon. I plan on going back tomorrow after work for some more top water action. It should be real good in about 2 or 3 weeks, by then they should be hitting all over the place.

jburge
04-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Scott, they were at my new favorite Folsom "pond." ;-) I must've had 30 bluegill to the boat, but the big excitement for me was the LMB. BTW, I discovered by complete accident a new go-to "nymph" for bluegill. In prep for a fly swap, I had tied up a little CDC cripple with a bronze hackle tail, hare's ear antron abdomen, cdc wing, and hexegenia antron thorax. I just wanted to see how it sat on the surface. Lo and behold as soon as it got wet, I started stripping it in and, bam! Fish on. I kid you not, every single cast after that was fish on. I couldn't keep them off. Yeah, they're small bluegill, but for me the "tug is the drug." ;-)

http://bdigitaldesign.com/flies/bluegill_cdc.jpg

I've tied up a bunch more foam hoppers, in addition to some foam caddis (which they also seem to hit consistently), and can't wait for some slightly warmer temps. I saw some larger (12 inch-ish) LMB cruising around the weeds, but they wouldn't have anything to do with what I was throwing. At least, not yet ;-)

John

Scott V
04-29-2009, 07:25 AM
I'll be there today after work, hopefully I will have good luck myself. I like your new little bluegill fly, I just might have to tie some of those up.