PDA

View Full Version : Where to take my prego wife on Mother's day

Ben-doc
04-27-2009, 10:11 AM
I thought since my wife is a few months pregnant with our first, I would take her somewhere for Mother's day. She requested we tent camp one last time before it becomes too uncomfortable and that we have easy access to some easy fly fishing. I told her I'm not sure such a spot exists this early in the season, and that if it did, it would be a hidden gem. She's a bit clumsier than usual, so I'm thinking it would be best if she could stand on the bank. I suggested using conventional gear, but she wouldn't hear of it! I actually don't think it matters too much whether or not she or I catches anything--I think she just wants to wet a line one last time before she has to take 6 months to a year off from fishing. River conditions may (probably) change in the next couple of weeks, but If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Hairstacker
04-27-2009, 10:40 AM
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Can't help you on the instant question but, besides a lot of fishing, before The BIG Day arrives, go out to dinner a lot and see lots of movies at the theater if those are things you enjoy doing. That's my suggestion. :D By the way, congratulations!! :)

Darian
04-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Considering your wife's condition, I would recommend staying in the level of the foothills. With that in mind, lakes/ponds would make a good way to stand on the bank (maybe wade) and fish. some Local lakes that offer some fly fishing from the shoreline and camping facilities might be Camp Far West, Folsom Lake or something similar. 8)

It really sounds like you should try to convince your wife to use conventional gear for this outing.... Going over to the "dark side" could adventuresome. :unibrow:

Hogan Brown
04-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Go to Deer Creek and the campgrounds off of hwy 32, there are 3 of them right on the creek. Pretty easy to get up and down. Also the Caribou stretch of the North Fork of the feather off of hwy 70 has 3 campgrounds right on the river.

Randy B
04-27-2009, 02:29 PM
If you don't mind a little drive, try camping at Hat Creek Hereford Ranch campground that has nice grassy campsites, running water at the campsite, flush toilets, showers, and a little general store.

You can nymph the Powerhouse riffle on Hat Creek. It is a short walk from the parking area and she can access it fairly easily, especially with a helping hand.

jburge
04-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Pardee's not bad. Easy to get in and out of, facilities are nice, along with plenty of room for bank casting around the marina end of the lake. And congrats! Just wait for the first time that little one pulls in a fish ;-) Guaranteed you'll laugh out loud. All the best.

John

Scott V
04-27-2009, 03:01 PM
I remember seeing a nice B&B on the North Section of the Yuba by Downeville.

troutbm
04-30-2009, 05:49 PM
I don't know how far your willing to drive but the upper owens river at benton crossing has good fishing and very easy access, Its all wide open flat meadow, Just the way a spring creek should be. If your at all interested I can tell ya a great place to tent camp that is right on a perfect peice of easily accessable trout water. Its a gem !

Darrin.Deel
04-30-2009, 07:26 PM
just a note- deer creek up highway 32 got raided on opener... very tough fishing even for the planters as of tuesday...

Ed Wahl
04-30-2009, 08:02 PM
If you're still looking, shoot me a pm, I'll give you some directions.

Ed