PDA

View Full Version : New Loop to loop shooting head systems

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-26-2009, 08:42 AM
We have been using shooting heads for about 50 years now which were developed here on the west coast by tournament caster Jimmy Green and then adopted by west coast steelheaders for quick easy distance and the ability to quickly change sink-rates.

A shooting head is about 30 feet of line connected to a skinny level shooting line that allows you to get a lot of distance on open water quickly and also the ability to quickly change them for different sink-rates.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

Today we have wonderful floating and slow sinking running lines with welded loops on one or both ends which make it that much nicer to use.

We like floating running lines while wadding and slow sinking running lines while casting from a boat.

Some still use mono shooting line which will get you slightly more distance but are a little more prone to tangling.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Today we have wonderful factory shooting heads that are 25 to 35 feet long most with welded loops on one or both ends.

There is a lot of confusion right now with sizing shooting heads because some companies oversize/overline theirs and others don't. For most we feel that 30 feet is a good place to start.

We also make us custom shooting heads of Rio T-14 and Cortland LC13 leadcore.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Where to use a loop to loop shooting head system???

Over on the open lakey tidewater of the coastal rivers is one of the most popular places to find them in use.

Up river for Shad, Stripers and salmon are other place they are used.

Out of a boat in lakes, big rivers or the Delta for Stripers is another good application.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Where not to use a shooting head system???

First off you would never want 'loop to loop' head system if there is no advantage so on a trout stream they are not used.

Why would you want those loops 30 feet back on your line unless there is a very good reason to have them.

The main reason to have a loop to loop shooting head system is for quick changing of sinkrates and long distance casting.

For bluewater fishing most serious anglers merely set up 2 to 4 outfits so quick changing is not important here. It also adds another connection for failure in a heavy duty blue water setting.

For flats fishing we use only full weight forward floating lines and another rod maybe with a slow clear sinking line.

We don't like them in lakes because those loops effect the feel while stripping in wet flies.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Come into the store if you are interested in a loop to loop shooting head system for one of your rods.

**A shooting head system are best on a rod that is at least 9 feet long from #6 weight pr larger and with a little faster action.

lee s.
04-26-2009, 09:12 AM
GREAT post Bill. I find that it is very handy to carry a full head system in my work truck to cover ANY situation. Maybe not always the most "handy", as in target shooting bass, but always applicable to the situation....and "hideable". ;-)
....lee s.
PS - And now with Tim's "pack" rods, I look foward to making a "travel kit" that will fit in my "shaving kit".....lines and all.

Hairstacker
04-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Great stuff Bill, thanks! I often think you should write a book. :!::D