PDA

View Full Version : Line recommendations for a beginner

Kurt P
04-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I’ve been itching to try my hand at Shad and am planning on heading to Kiene’s to pick up a line set up and some flies. I have a good idea about what flies to pick up from the other recent thread, and I have a vague understanding about the lines some people use, but I’m pretty new to fly fishing overall, and I mostly use a floating line, so my comprehension regarding other lines is pretty remedial. I understand the basics about what shooting lines and sink tips are, but things start to spin when I read about ‘200-250-300 lines,’ ‘type 2 and type 4 shooting heads,’ etc.

I have an 8’ 8wt TFO Ti Cr X rod and was thinking that would be the better rod to use for shad than my 5 wt Z-axis. If so, what do people suggest as a good basic line set up for using a single-handed rod for shad?

Finally, I’m also eager to try for stripers, too, and was wondering if any of the different ways to set up my ‘shad spool’ would be workable for stripes?

Thanks,

Kurt

Jasonh
04-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi Kurt,

There are a variety of options when it comes to lines for stripers and shad. You can go the shooting head route or sinktip type lines like the Teeny or Airflo Depth finder series. For ease of casting i really like the Airflo Depth Finder lines and these I feel would be a bit easier to cast for both stripers and shad. You could get the 200, 260, or 300 grain. Personally, I would opt for 200 and 260 especially if wade fishing. Just my 2 cents worth. Give us a call or come by the shop and we can go into even more detail if you would like. Hope this helps a bit. Take care.

Jason Hartwick

Ed Wahl
04-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Kurt, you can use your 8wt for both.
A shooting head system will get you the most bang for the buck. Bear in mind though, when you're shad fishing you will most likely be in a line up. You don't want the running/shooting portion of your line to float. When you go into the shop the guys there will explain it all for you.

When the shad are in just get in touch or watch the board, we'll get you into them.

Ed

Darrin.Deel
04-25-2009, 09:29 PM
I would use the 8 wt. Get the fish in faster so you can catch another one.

I run rio t-8 or t-11 in front of amnesia running line or rio slickshooter running line. stretch the running line to get the coils out and you will be able to cast a mile. you can also use this as a striper rig if need be.

good luck and tight lines

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Something to know:

Cortland LC13 leadcore line is around half the cost of Rio T-14.

For Stripers Captain Kevan Doran uses LC13.

lee s.
04-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Your absolutely most effecient system for covering (distance and depth) the water column from top to bottom in all velocities is amnesia (mono type) running line and a set of shooting heads.....floating thru LC. Probably your most cost effecient too. Every adaptation for ease of handling costs you effeciency to some degree and adds cost, be it thru more money for a running line to single use full lines and corresponding spare spools to collect all the line to do what a "head" system will do. Your 8 is a good idea for this. However, remember, when the shad are high in the water in the evening on the "A", an intermediate or a floater can be a hoot on your 5.
The guys at Bill's shop should get you well started. ;-)

Kurt P
04-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Hey guys, thanks so much for all the great advice. I'll head into Kiene's shop first day off that I get and get rigged up.
Kurt

Mrs.Finsallaround
04-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Bear in mind though, when you're shad fishing you will most likely be in a line up. You don't want the running/shooting portion of your line to float. Ed

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, that's what I used last year.... and it worked quite well. Why wouldn't you want it to float? Seems like it makes it much easier to cast...

Scott V
04-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, that's what I used last year.... and it worked quite well. Why wouldn't you want it to float? Seems like it makes it much easier to cast...

From what I have learned you do not want your running line to float because when you are standing in a line with other people you are limiting when and how often others can fish due to your line staying on top of the water. If your whole line is underwater people can throw over yours without getting all hung up. It is more a courteous thing than anything, but then I could be wrong on my assumption.

Ed Wahl
04-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Robin, I'm not saying it won't work, the reason is the crowded conditions found when shad fishing.

Most of the shad holes get pretty crowded, and everyone forms a line with the fisher on the upstream end being the farthest out into the current and usually the farthest downstream fisher is closer to the bank, it varies on different spots. That arrangement keeps everyones line from swinging into the legs of the people downstream of them.

When you're in a line up, you cast across or across and down, then fish the swing and even let the fly hang straight downstream for a bit.

A floating line will block the fishers downstream of you until your line swings in all the way. If they cast while it's swinging their line will snag on the floating section of yours.
Using a sinking shooting line the next guy can cast just as soon as your line hits the water.

There's still some timing involved to avoid catching other peoples lines, but it's pretty obvious when your out there. It still happens but is minimized by this routine.

I've used Amnesia for running line for years, now I'm trying out Rio Slickshooter. Still a mono type line but it's not supposed to snarl as much. So far I'm not really all that impressed.

Ed

Jeff C.
04-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi Robin,

If you're in a big line up like at the Log Hole and you have a floating line, other people in the line up can't cast until you line in near the bottom of it's swing. With sinking running lines like Amnesia, other people can cast over your line without fouling it.

Jeff

Kurt P
04-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Good info about using a sinking running line. I've never really fished in a line up and don't think I'd much care for it, but I guess if I want to try for shad I'll have to step in and give it a try. I'm a bit nervous about pissing others off since I'm not sure how the etiquette works.
Ed's and Scott's comments have given me some insight into the way the lineups work, and I can see how a sinking running line would help minimize bad feelings.
Thanks everyone, hope to see you on the water,
Kurt

Jeff C.
04-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey Kurt!

Most of the time there are fairly big line ups at the more popular spots like the Log Hole. Feel free to jump in. Most guys fishing for shad are friendly and helpful to beginners. I met Terry Thomas at the Log Hole when I first got started and he gave me some flies and some helpful tips. The flows are up and fly fishing for shad at the Log Hole is about out of the question. In a couple of weeks they should be upstream at more wadable spots.

Jeff

Kurt P
04-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the invite, Jeff.
I guess my trepidation about fishing in a line up is mostly due to my being new to casting shooting heads. Now that Andy G. set me up with a rig I can start practicing on my pond. I imagine there will be some wild flailing going on for a while. Hope to have reasonable control by the time the shad move in. Sounds like that should be any day now, so I better get on it.
Then I just have to figure out where the Log Hole is...