PDA

View Full Version : Central Oregon

Bryan Morgan
04-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Taking a trip to La Pine Oregon the 1st. of May. As far as I can tell it is just south of Bend. Suggestions would be appreciated.

easymends
04-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Lots and lots of fishy water thats for sure. The Deschutes and all its sections will be fishing well pending water levels. Trout opener for the Lower Section boarding the Indian Reservation opens this Saturday.

You also have access to the middle Deschutes in and around there, the Crooked River isn't too far either.

These guys have always been a good source for local info.

http://www.flyandfield.com/

Bryan Morgan
04-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

Tracy Chimenti
04-23-2009, 11:37 PM
You are singing an old song for me and I am happy to oblige.

Okay, be ready for rain one moment, followed by a nice drying sun, followed by ripping winds, followed by a little snow.
THIS is Central oregon during the first month of the season.

I used to go every spring and my favorite place was to be on Wickiup Res at apx. 5:00 PM in the float tube at the dam. The normal spring pattern here blesses the lunker hunter with dependable evening winds that blow from a northwesterly direction into the earthen dam. The lake is shallow and so the waves really get to rolling-- which makes things kind of exciting. Anyway, I fish out of an older acorn style tube. Don't like the "horeshoes" in this stuff AT ALL. Pontoon type tubes are suicide in this stuff. Drift from the north end of the dam down past the the powerhouse to the beach. You can get into a "kick-kick-kick... drift.... towards the nasty, jagged, stump-laded rip-rap" rythm while throwing streamers on heads and full-sinkers. The wind will drive you right on down the dam. My buddy who now lives in Denver and I used to spend every evening it blew out there-- no wind?... no go! We caught two browns at about 9-pounds, a handful to 7- or 8, and lost several that sure seemed larger. These are babies in this lake. The lake is good for 25's and 30's and fishes very well during the spring on about half to near-full moon. Throw large and small streamers. I really enjoyed using the smaller streamers during the last trips and that's what we caught the 9's on. I like an apx. 1-1/2- to 2-inch small, basic, light-tan or light-olive bunny that looks just like a tiny disoriented tui-chub trying to stay alive in the rukus. The smaller fly can be fished ever so slow, is very hard for a fish to decipher, and can stay in the strike zone longer than bigger flies. The swimbait trollers will be out in force, but just can't get in where those fat boys just seem to lay. Expect anywhere from 1- to 5-bites an evening. There are some real brutes between you and the rip-rap and the wind will just carry you along. Evening is by far the best. I use nothing but 5-mil boot foots, as it get's pretty damn cold.

Okay... enough about that.

Next is Crane Prarie. The fish are spread out and i usually concentrate on the open bays nearest to the creek channels. Hosmer is either closed, or snowed in for the next three weeks. Big Cultus and Little Cultus can produce big, fat macks on streamers in the same wind.

Davis Lake is usually a little off color and streamers or Carries (soft hackles) fished on full sinkers will work. The fish are spread out unless the sun really shines for a few days and some bug activity gets going. Some surprisingly big 'bows in here. Not sure if the upper Deschuttes or the lower are open for another 3-weeks. Been a while.

Be sure to stop by and fish a day at Klamath Lake. Last year the lake was very high and the fishing was awesome.

That's about all I can say for now.

Tracy

El Rey
04-23-2009, 11:39 PM
A few years ago we camped at the State Park at La Pine. Very nice. In addition to regular campsites there are small cabins and yurts.

As for fishing: The Fall River is very close. As mentioned above, the Crooked River is an easy drive. Of course there is the Deschutes and the big lakes west of La Pine. The Metolius is also an easy drive. It's a pretty area with lots of options. Very close to Bend if you need fly shops and the nicer ammenities.

Enjoy,
Harlan

jbird
04-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Last night I typed out a tiresome guide on central oregon, then accidently deleted it :-(
I lived in Bend for 10 years and flyfished it very hard. I dont have the time or patience to type it out again, sorry. My best advise is to pick up a book called Fishing Central Oregon. It will give you everything you need.
I echo Tracys advise. My personal record brown came from wickiup at 14.5lbs I landed somewhere around 100 in the 5-10lb range in my years fishing there. Wickiup, Paulina and East Lakes haunted my dreams and I fished them often.
Tracy also mentioned what I had typed out last night...stop at klamath lake!!!
May is a great time in central o. if the lakes are clear....

Bryan Morgan
04-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Thank you to the replies from everyone. It will be nice to get away, but I cannot wait to get back and fish for the shad. Tight lines everyone to everyone!