PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac @ Cypress

matooka
04-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I just returned home from a couple days on the Lower Sac and wanted to share an experience that I witnessed recently which fortunately did not end up being another statistic for the mighty Lower Sac. Because I was trout fishing I posted my experience under this section. If the board had a section for "Idiots" I'd appropriately put it there. My friends and I had just finished several passes through the driving range area when we decided to jet back up to Sundial. As we approached the Cypress overpass construction site, I noticed a drift boat attempting to oar into a place where he just could not. Above him, closer to the Cypress site, I noticed a kayaker holding water in an eddy below and next to one of several support structures. A young man and woman on the drift boat gestured me over and explained that the kayaker needed assistance. I shot over to the kayaker by the structure thinking he was experiencing difficulties with the current and asked him if he needed help. He pointed to the vessel access point where boats traveling downstream must enter in order to continue down stream. In amazement, we noticed a young man sitting on top of one of the steel pylons anchored in the middle of the river. Some would refer to this point as the funnel of fury . His yellow kayak was submerged under water and wrapped around the steel structure. For me the rescue was easy. I nestled my 1652 60/40 outboard jet up against the pylon and he jumped six feet onto the front deck of the boat. My first question to the survivor was,"where is your flotation device"? After indicating that he wasn't wearing a jacket, he continued letting us know that this was his first time ever paddling on a kayak! I shook my head and told him to go buy a lottery ticket because he's lucky to be alive. I offered him a green label and dropped him off above Sundial. I noticed he still had one flip flop on his right foot. I told him he should hammer the thing to his wall as a reminder of how close he was to dying that day. I should've called 911 so the Sheriff would've had to retrieve him from his predicament along with a citation with his name on it for breaking the law. Fortunately, his quick thinking to grab onto the steel pylon as his boat disappeared under water shows that his intent was indeed not suicidal after all. Just a reminder for all of those adventurers seeking cool relief on a hot Redding day...show some respect to the monster.

Darrin.Deel
04-21-2009, 10:46 PM
People need to get real. Water is an incredible force and stupid people need to realize not to go in/on it. Thank you for helping him. I'll bet one more fatality on that upper section will close it until the construction is good.

Seamus
04-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Cypress street bridge will be closed due to flows as of Friday 4-24. The good news is that the pilings at the hiway 44 brdge construction are being removed and the short upper float should be much safer this summer.

No PFD????? Just plain stupid. Good job with the rescue :thumbsup:

Date / Time REL SCH
04/17/2009 01:00 6000 cfs
04/18/2009 01:00 6500 cfs
04/22/2009 01:00 6750 cfs
04/23/2009 01:00 7000 cfs
04/24/2009 01:00 7250 cfs

Darrin.Deel
04-22-2009, 04:11 PM
when are they removing the pilings at the 44 bridge?

Seamus
04-22-2009, 04:48 PM
I went through the 44 bridge Monday and the construction bridge is gone and most of the pilings were cut off a couple of feet above the water they are supposed to be completly removed by the end of the month.

Darrin.Deel
04-22-2009, 04:55 PM
..sweet....

matooka
04-22-2009, 10:20 PM
From the responses regarding my report, I've noticed that I've made a crucial error in my testimony. What is it?

Phil Synhorst
04-23-2009, 07:34 AM
From the responses regarding my report, I've noticed that I've made a crucial error in my testimony. What is it?

Is this a trick question:question::question:
The only thing I found was the lack of an actual fishing report. Great story though, you did a good thing, and hopefully have a lot of good Karma in the bank now.:thumbsup:.......Even if you did help a moron defy evolution.:wink:

matooka
04-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Ah...good one, but that is not it! A Lower Sac Guru should get it!

bearcrawl
04-23-2009, 08:26 AM
44 bridge is upstream from aqua golf. Cypress is downstream.

matooka
04-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Nice call Bearcrawl. The incident occurred at the 44 construction site...not Cypress. Get it right Matooka!!!

Seamus
04-23-2009, 09:04 AM
By the details in your post I figured it was the 44 bridge. I didn't want to take away from your message by pointing out a simple error.

A guy would have to jump pretty high to get on top of a piling at the cypress bridge

matooka
04-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks Seamus. You're a good man for allowing me to keep my self esteem in tact.

Phil Synhorst
04-23-2009, 09:31 AM
No door prize for me.:lol:
Oh well, that's what I get for never having fished Redding/Anderson, or Red Bluff, despite going up there once a week for the last seven years.:oops:

matooka
04-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Phil, your door prize is to take my advice and hire a guide to fish the Lower Sac in the fall during mid November when the salmon show up to spawn. It is a great event!