PDA

View Full Version : Yuba River Gunpoint Robbery

wjorg
04-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Anybody hear about this? I just heard somebody was robbed at gunpoint.

Dagee
04-20-2009, 02:54 PM
there are a lot of crankster around that area. Thats why I also carry my .45 when I'm fishing.

bearcrawl
04-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Was there all weekend and didn't hear anything. Interested though.

Darrin.Deel
04-20-2009, 10:46 PM
i had an experience by myself on the feather on sunday evening on the way home from the yuba. . two guys shirtless parollee dirtbags covered in really bad tattoos started walking toward me with two beer bottles in each of their hands(down by culvert hole) they were still walking toward me so i hurried into my 4runner, mobbed over a rock pile and was waved off by beer bottles being thrown at me. I can't wait until I can get my CCW...

wjorg
04-21-2009, 11:12 AM
I heard the guy was fishing. Turned around to be greeted by a gun and a request for his wallet and truck keys. The Robber emptied the truck and left the keys on the ground. That's all I know.

I hear you can carry a gun on the BLM Land around the Yuba. I wouldnt think that means you can carry a concealed weapon. My answer is to just fish somewhere else. But, is it true you can carry an unconcealed weapon on the BLM land around the Lower Yuba around HWY 20?

Pete
04-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the update. It's a sad state of affairs when you have to pack heat just to go fishing. Unreal. I am glad no one was hurt - gear and cars can be replaced. Stay safe everybody.

Scott V
04-21-2009, 12:15 PM
I heard the guy was fishing. Turned around to be greeted by a gun and a request for his wallet and truck keys. The Robber emptied the truck and left the keys on the ground. That's all I know.

I hear you can carry a gun on the BLM Land around the Yuba. I wouldn't think that means you can carry a concealed weapon. My answer is to just fish somewhere else. But, is it true you can carry an unconcealed weapon on the BLM land around the Lower Yuba around HWY 20?

Technically you can carry a gun while walking down the street, it just needs to be in plain view and it needs to be a legal registered firearm. Once it is concealed in any way then it becomes illegal. Now for the reality of it all, if a police office sees you, do expect to be stopped and questioned. Do expect to be treated in a some what hostile way until the officer finds out you are a good citizen and are doing everything by the law.

Also I was always told that if you decide to carry a gun for protection you better be ready to use it and not have any second thoughts on taking a life. If the person on the other end of the barrel is a "bad" person and you draw a gun on them, you better be ready to use it and you better be ready for alot of legal issues. I personally feel it is better to just give them your wallet or whatever. Using a gun can and will change your life forever.

And for the record I do own firearms, as a matter of fact I have an 750 pound safe, so I am not against forearms, but I do know what can and will happen if they are used for either protection or not.

bonneville54
04-21-2009, 01:11 PM

I hear you can carry a gun on the BLM Land around the Yuba. I wouldnt think that means you can carry a concealed weapon. My answer is to just fish somewhere else. But, is it true you can carry an unconcealed weapon on the BLM land around the Lower Yuba around HWY 20?

Golly.....this is sad, assuming it's true. Where did you hear this? There doesn't seem to be any news reports about it. (at least that I can find)

I fish there a lot and would love to know where on the river this happened. There are some rather sketchy looking folks down there, always have been. In fact, about 15 years ago, I had a large knife flashed at me when, in my infinite wisdom, I decided to confront a few guys netting salmon - just upstream from the bridge.

Gotta be careful out there....

amoeba
04-21-2009, 03:09 PM
There's been much worse, recently:

I never carry a wallet fishing - and - if you think giving up valuables is a way to avoid injury/death - you have another think coming. Get away from anyone (or two or three) who approaches you (especially in groups) without a fishing rod or cooler or some other indication that they belong. If you can't get away, be prepared to defend yourself; or else, suffer the consequences, e.g.,

http://www.theunion.com/article/20090407/WEBUPDATE/904079997/1066&ParentProfile=1053

You won't have much time for discussion.

Darian
04-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Uhhhh..... Lets get this under control before there's any additional escalation. :) There's no proof supporting anything other than suicide in the linked article. :confused: I agree that we all must be alert to anything happening around us that may present a threat. That's common sense. :cool: I'm fully in support of the conclusions in Scott's post. :cool:

If it looks like you're wandering into a place where you shouldn't be, leave. If confronted and you have to give up your personal belongings, do it and get out of there. Try to be observant; get a good description and make a report to the police. :nod:

Actually, you're more likely to be held up or shot in any blighted or downtown area of any city in this state than while out fishing....

It seems to me that confronting a poacher or team of them in rural areas is asking for trouble. Just try to have the act witnessed, get a photo or some facts to report (maybe a vehicle license....) :neutral:

Ed Wahl
04-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Aintry?

This river don't go to Aintry.

troutbm
04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
When engaged in outdoor activity i do beleive it is in your best interst to carry a firearm, personally I carry one most of the time wether fishing or just going to the grocery store. I will be damned if some punk is gonna make me a victim ! Berreta model 92f 9mm works for me, A real military peice of iron ! Won't bust when you pistol whip a crankster like these new fangled composite deals

caltagm
04-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Has it been three weeks already? Seems like every three weeks this American Express Handgun thread recreates itself...Don't leave home without it!

Mik
04-21-2009, 10:19 PM
I usually don't worry about being held up at gunpoint while I am fly fishing. Maybe they should incorporate a gun holder as a part of a fishing vest. Maybe add a retractable device to the gun like your snippers. Nobody steal my idea. : )

Darrin.Deel
04-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Scott-Very good post. I agree 100% with everything you said.

amoeba
04-22-2009, 12:07 PM
A couple unfortunate points need to be made:

a) There's a theory by non-victims, that being "observant" (like staring robber in face) is going to help "catch" a crook; not necessarily - the criminal mind could see it as you asking to be shot/killed; but even if you don't, you could get shot/killed anyway; Even if you survive, the law enforcement does NOT investigate these kinds of crimes (i.e., short of death or rape) - that you see on TV. Do you think you will ever hear from law enforcement? You have a description, but not a good one because you were clocked by a river rock after being relieved of your wallet - and there are 40 million suspects; 10,000 in Yuba County.

b) There's another theory prevalent among non-victims, that giving up possessions buys you some sort of compassion or safety from criminals; the criminal doesn't care - you will be shot anyway if the criminal has already decided this, the criminal mind does not start with any code of ethics or respect for life;

c) And how about your theory that robbers "ask" for your wallet; they could just come up behind you, and use the gun (or short bat) first;

Accordingly, your best defense is awareness and prevention. See someone (or some two, or three) out of place - get the hell away, immediately. Always be aware.

P.S.: You usually don't need a wallet fishing.

P.S.S.: There's been more than one body with a bullet in it floating down a water course in Yuba County last few years. They're not all suicides.

RobK.
04-22-2009, 01:03 PM
If i was fishing in the foot hills of California again with my boys, i would be packing a pistol .
Luckily we can get a carry permit here in Utah after a 4hr class . Any bad guys here in Utah better beware , most people are packing !! Our Governor just passed a bill so any LAW abiding person can carry a Concealed loaded gun in their car with out a permit . So car jacker beware !!

If you carry gun know how and when to use it !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkWgp2abM2w

mr. 3 wt.
04-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Good video. I am all for carrying firearms. Pushing that law here in california is gonna be tough though.

RobK.
04-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Good video. I am all for carrying firearms. Pushing that law here in california is gonna be tough though.

Yes kinda a lost cause there . I know i lived in Sacramento for 40+ years before i moved here, so i feel your pain . You would love it here . You can buy a gun and be out the door with it in 20 minutes .$ 7.00 for a phone background check and your done . NO reason to punish law abiding people !! You see people walking into gun shops all the time with Ar-15 in their hands and it's no do big deal , no SWAT team called , just the some guy looking for a part . Every evening up the canyon above my home it's is full of families doing a little shooting or the boy scouts . Living here is like living in Mayberry , no one locks their doors, kids play all over the town with out a worry , no crime lowest in the country , lowest unemployment in the country . When we decided we wanted to move , these were some of the reasons , also deer ,elk , ducks and 5 rivers all within a 1/2 hr drive from my home . If you ever want to take a little vacation check out Logan Canyon in the fall , BEAUTIFUL !! All the photos in the the link below were taken with in a 15 -30 minute drive from my home . That's why i got back into photography .

speyfool
04-22-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm curious. If you are carrying a gun, do you take it out every time you see someone suspicious? I would think that if the criminal has come up to you, it is too late to get one out if he has one himself. As soon as you reach for it, he's gonna pull the trigger. I guess it is a deterrent. Assuming the guy sees it holstered to your side.

CODY
04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Hopefully this thread wont turn into this but there is some interesting info.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=55785&highlight=firearms+while+fishing

RobK.
04-22-2009, 07:59 PM
I would still rather have a gun than not , at least i have a chance . What if you come back to your car and find someone in it going through your stuff . I came back to my parked under the hwy 20 bridge on the Yuba just in time to see a car speed off . They had just broken into a truck next to my car . I don't leave anything worth taking in my car , and i just leave the doors unlocked . saves them braking my window . But i never buy new car anyway so most likely they will hit someone else's car be for mine . I did come back to my car once and my glove box was open and someone had gone through it , I have always payed cash for cars and refuse tom pay more than 4- 5,ooo . so most likely there are going to be other cars around more tempting than mine .

speyfool
04-22-2009, 09:14 PM
For the record, I'm not trying to be confrontational. Just trying to understand.

Personally, if I came back to my car to see someone in it, I'd not interrupt them. I'd sit back and try to get their plates. I'd rather avoid being shot. Even if I had a gun, I'm not about to get in a shootout. Maybe that is just me. lol

I'm not necessarily against carrying a gun. Heck, if someone convinced me it was a good idea, I would even consider it.

RobK.
04-23-2009, 04:28 PM
For the record, I'm not trying to be confrontational. Just trying to understand.

Personally, if I came back to my car to see someone in it, I'd not interrupt them. I'd sit back and try to get their plates. I'd rather avoid being shot. Even if I had a gun, I'm not about to get in a shootout. Maybe that is just me. lol

I'm not necessarily against carrying a gun. Heck, if someone convinced me it was a good idea, I would even consider it.

Hey no problem, not being trying confrontational either .

For me it was a good idea !! I had a guy TRY to rob me at gun point in Stockton when i drove truck , he got nothing , but i got his gun and a few of his front teeth .LOL Then i got a gun . Another guy in Oakland tried to get me to get him , into a Lucky store before they opened . When i put a loaded pistol in his face he changed his mind . The very next morning that same store was robbed and the manager was shot twice for taking too long to open the safe . It was the SAME GUY and he got away . I told my boss i was no longer doing that route . I had people ask for me money some times 3-4 times a day and some would get very very mad when i said no and one pulled a knife on me, then i pulled my gun on him . It got to a point where i never stepped out of my truck with out my pistol and hand in my pocket . I had to be at my first stops anywhere between 3-6 am and in some really shady parts of California . I left my home ( in North highlands ) at 1am to go to work most of the time . Crap i needed a gun just to survive in North Highlands !! .So a little later we drove to Utah to look at homes, put a offer on one , came back and sold our home in two weeks. No longer drive truck, or go to or live in, shady areas . See why i left, i had enough !!! As long as crooks know MOST people are not packing they have nothing to worry about , the cops are always minutes away and sometime that's too late . Now when i pack a gun its for mountain Lions ,but i trust them a lot more than the guys i ran into on my truck routes !!

RobK.

DH
04-24-2009, 09:11 AM
With all the discussion about the legality of carrying a handgun while fishing, I thought this link might be helpful. Read the section on carrying and transporting handguns while hunting/fishing. http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/#?st=CA.

mikel
04-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Anybody hear about this? I just heard somebody was robbed at gunpoint.

There seems to be no documentation or even anecdotal evidence that ANYTHING happened. Are our collective chains being yanked? Seems like a topic perfect for regenerating the same discussion that happens every time there's a window broken on the AR.

Hmmm, so, my buddy and I are walking the river sans rods, checking things out with a beer in our hands. Some of you are going to drop your rod in the river, produce a loaded weapon and point it at us? Contact an attorney in advance, please. I'm going to draw my cell and call 911 and you can talk with the authorities while I fish in your spot.

These threads are silly. Most folks think what they think about firearms and nothing changes in these threads...except people get upset with each other when they should be sharing ideas, information and their love of fishing on the fly.

Rich Leonetti
04-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Aintry?

This river don't go to Aintry.

You forgot the banjo music Ed... LOL....

SHigSpeed
04-24-2009, 10:25 AM
You forgot the banjo music Ed... LOL....

I KNEW that was familiar. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

_SHig

Ed Wahl
04-24-2009, 09:06 PM
=D>=D>=D>=D>
Thanks OT and Shig. I was beginning to wonder about my people here. Thought maybe some collective Alzheimers or something.

"Deliverance", best movie ever for ridding the outdoors of silly urban types.

The "Jaws" of Terra Firma.

Just put in Dueling Banjos and watch a campground quietly empty out.

Ed

Just found this, for you youngsters who are wondering what we're talking about.
http://www.zuguide.com/index.php#Deliverance