PDA

View Full Version : Never been Shad

fflutterffly
04-20-2009, 02:42 PM
I'll be coming up to the American on May 2 to fish for Shad. Never been. Can't wait. Are there any suggestions: Flies. Location. Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks
A

Jeff C.
04-20-2009, 02:54 PM
They might be in the American by then. Popular places to fish for them are the Log Hole, Rossmore, Sunrise and Sailor Bar. My favorite flies are Wet Pinkies, Surf Candies and Bloody Marias. Stop by Bill's shop and they should be able to hook you up with the right flies. The most important thing is to have the right line to get to the depth where they are holding. Shooting heads for single hand rods are the the norm (especially in a line up) but a lot of people have been getting into spey or switch rods. Vary your sink rate becasue they can be in any part of the water column. Early and late in the day they are normally higher up while during mid-day they are usually found deep.

Scott V
04-20-2009, 03:01 PM
I use a type 2 and type 4 shooting head with amnesia is a running line. It has worked well for me and you can change out heads real quick when needed. If you are not in the right depth of the fish you will not get bitten so be ready to change depths to get to them.

Terry Thomas
04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
You will probably be a couple of weeks early. Nothing showing as of 4/20.
t.