PDA

View Full Version : Truckee River

Rich Leonetti
04-19-2009, 09:56 PM
I stopped into the Expo long enough to pickup my flies from the swap. All of the flies were great. Right after the expo I went to the Truckee, I was on the water by 11:30. Fished Hirshdale up to the Little Truckee. Flows were pretty good about 400- 500, Fished til about 6, on Saturday, and from 7:00 - 2:00.on sunday.. I didn't even see a fish....I must have tried every fly in the box....any ideas...????

Foxyanne
04-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Im glad that Im not alone. My cousin and I fished the Truckee yesterday from 10:00-6:00. We fihed all over the river and I only had one fish on all day. Other than that, not even a bite for either of us. We tried San Juan worms, Pheasant tails, midges, golden stones, prince, caddis pupa, zug bugs. I dont understand it, I dont know what else we could have done. We did see on big Rainbow about 24 inches feeding just below the surface on some kind of emerging insect. If anyone has some advise for the Truckee, please feel free.

wjorg
04-20-2009, 10:01 AM
I know two really good fisherman who only caught one fish per day. I'll try to find out what they did....

troutbm
04-20-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't think its uncommon for the truckee river to send home good fisherman with no fish to hand.

easymends
04-20-2009, 03:42 PM
I dont think I caught fish for at least a year before finally dialing in the Truckee. I found that smaller flies are key with more split shot than you think as well.

Rich Leonetti
04-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Yea... I had really good luck from memorial day last year righ up to thanksgiving....I go back all cocky this weekend and "el skunko".... I tried all of the flies you mentioned plus a few more... I guess it happens...I am not sure if I want to venture up there for the opener ... might hold up til the following weekend.

gilligan
04-20-2009, 08:11 PM
You guys have to remember, it is still early Spring up here and water temps are still cold. On top of that the lower Truckee seems to always be hard to fish this time of year. Water temps have warmed some since winter and the fish are starting to spread out, making them harder to find. I would try fishing the river above Boca all along Glenshire drive. It has been fishing very well the last few weeks. I would say a couple more weeks of warm weather will really help the fishing. Using the right amount of weight is key in the higher cold spring flows.

www.gilligansguideservice.com

jigger
04-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Your not alone. Last spring the CA truckee was fishing really well in mid march. This year...... I've done some prospect speed fishing and I know where I can find a fish or two, but....... the numbers don't seem there. It's almost may and the runoff's been minimal. Even with a pretty heavy bwo hatch, don't see many heads where you'd expect them

JT
04-21-2009, 08:46 AM
I fished the Truckee a couple of weeks ago after riding the fresh powder all morning at Boreal. I picked up a 15" rainbow on a San Juan worm and a 19" brown on a golden stone nymph.