PDA

View Full Version : Not the American, but.......

lee s.
04-19-2009, 05:14 PM
After the festivities at the shop yesterday (THANKS Bill!!!! GRAND event! ;-) ), Susan and I went to Verona to get some brochures on the camping. After observing for a few, I could NOT stand it and HAD to put in the canoe and snoop around. We saw no action but the water and the weather were super.
Well right off we snagged a squaw fish. Then we missed a couple light hits.....shad? Then Susan lost a shad. Then I switched to stripes for the evening and landed a couple to about 4#....little fish....pretty little fish. We spent a couple hours, at most, snooping around.
Anyway, we talked to Larry who just arrived Fri night for his annual stay. Larry knows his shad and he knows the area. He reported 10 shad for the day Saturday.....they are just starting there.
We learned we need a better anchor for Verona than we use at our other ponds. ;-)
.....lee s.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-19-2009, 10:05 PM
The mouth of the Feather River is a wonderful place to fish.

Nice launch ramp right there too.

Jeff C.
04-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Hey Lee S!

Nice going! You beat me to it as I haven't caught one yet this year. I've tried the mouth of the American and even went to the Log Hole yesterday afternoon after reading Jason's post. The river is running high and fast so you can't wade out too far. Any day now!

Jeff

lee s.
04-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Ahhhh Jeff, ;-)
The "race" is STILL on. We did not "land" any shad.....only lost'em!
Plenty stripes want to eat the "bones" fly in the slghtly murky water though. ;-)

Ed Wahl
04-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the tip on Verona Lee.

I had just enough time this afternoon to make it up there.

My little 28 will, slowly, push my pram upstream against the current there.

I managed 3 of these, no stripers.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/Smallies053.jpg

The two boats that were in the 'slot' just pounded them.

Jeff, I tried the Log Hole on Sat. morning, found the same results you did. Althoug I did catch a squawfish and a small steelhead.

Nothing up at upper Goethe.

The race is still on for the American.

Ed

lee s.
04-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Yahoooooo!!!! WTG Ed. ;-)

Scott V
04-21-2009, 07:35 AM
All right Ed, nice shiny fish.