PDA

View Full Version : Central Valley LMB

Cal
04-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Had a work related trip to the valley Thursday and finished up around 4:30 PM. Headed over to a pond on a friend's farm and spent a few hours fishing for bass. Wind was brutal for the first hour so I fished olive/white clousers and picked up many smaller 8-10" bass.

Right around sunset the wind finally abated, so I went top water with deer hair poppers and Umpqua swimming frogs. Non-stop action until dark. Several nice fish in the 16" range, one bust off -- damn it smarts losing a $4 buck fly. Guess even 12 lb tippet frays after being dragged through the brush a lot. Next time I will replace the tip of the factory tapered bass leader with Maxima Ultragreen, it never fails.

Now that the wind storm is over, I would highly suggest you get out and do some top-water bugging. It appears that the valley and Sierra foothills ponds are quickly approaching the optimum temperature.

Mrs.Finsallaround
04-20-2009, 09:01 AM
one bust off -- damn it smarts losing a $4 buck fly.

Yeah... we hate to lose 'em in fish too. It helps that we tie our own flies ('cept those frogs!), but it's not good for the fish...

Thanks for the report!

Darrin.Deel
04-20-2009, 12:32 PM
maxima ultragreen is all i use for warm water. the knots hold like glue and the stuff is cheap. also pretty resistant against abrasion

Hairstacker
04-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Cal, great report, thanks! I love that magical hour at sunset when the wind totally dies and the water surface turns to glass.