PDA

View Full Version : Single foot fly guides?

SHigSpeed
04-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Does anyone have experience with using a single foot guide on a fly rod? The gear guys do it all the time but all commercial rods I've seen have the traditional snake guide. Any idea why? Do the snakes shoot better? I was also thinking that perhaps the snakes allow knots to be moved through easier as the natural twist of the guide would help the know "jump the log".

Input? I figure a single wrap would definitely be lighter for overall weight, but the difference in wire weight is probably negligible.

_SHig

Darian
04-15-2009, 02:09 PM
I haven't wrapped any rods with single foot guides but have used a 9 wt, TFO Ticr blank wrapped with them in Baja, last summer. They performed (cast) equally well or better than my other rods made up with snake guides and looked better. :cool:

As for the weight difference between the two, I haven't weighed them but it seems to me that the single foot Fuji guides that I've seen are considerably thicker in construction, have insert rings and must weigh more as a consequence. :neutral:

Frankly, I'm not sure the weight difference would be a factor. It didn't when I was casting different rods last summer.;-)

SHigSpeed
04-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Ah, gotcha. I was referring specifically to single foot wire guides, but for sure the Fuji ringed guides would definitely be heavier than a snake.

_SHig

Hairstacker
04-15-2009, 03:06 PM
It is true that most rod manufacturers use snakes, although there are exceptions (like GLoomis, for example). I think most use snakes simply because it is the traditional choice on fly rods.

I think the biggest difference in weight between the two types has more to do with the fact that snakes require two wraps and associated epoxy versus one for the single-foots. But even then, I would be surprised if you could tell the difference between two equivalent rods sporting each guide type. Having said that, some feel the smaller footprint of single-foots inhibit the action of the rod blank less and they believe they have actually felt this difference.

I think it has been proven that single-foots are durable enough, although they're more inclined to catch on something if you were to, say, hike through a lot of brush, for example. Some also believe you get more line snapping against the rod blank with single-foots.

I suppose it really comes down to personal preference as to aesthetics and what not.

RAS
04-15-2009, 05:26 PM
I used single food guides on the last few rods I have built.Do they fish better? I don't know.I'm just lazy and there's fewer wraps with the singles.
RAS

SHigSpeed
04-15-2009, 05:33 PM
I used single food guides on the last few rods I have built.Do they fish better? I don't know.I'm just lazy and there's fewer wraps with the singles.
RAS

Are you using wire singles or ringed?

_SHig

jblack
04-15-2009, 06:18 PM
I have two rods with single foot guides you can check them out on friday night.

SHigSpeed
04-15-2009, 07:22 PM
I have two rods with single foot guides you can check them out on friday night.

Are they wire singles or stamped and ringed? What weight rods?

I ordered snake already, but it's not too late to change...

_SHig

gene goss
04-16-2009, 07:04 AM
15 years ago I built a 10ft #6-2 piece rod with single foot fuji guides to keep the weight down.....I can cast this rod all day long with out killing my arm......no problem with the guides.

Darian
04-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Some additional info to consider.... Altho I haven't noticed anyone complaining about it, single foot wire guides look to be subject to flattening out if bumped or rubbed having wraps only on one side. Are they made reflex style :?: :?:

bushplanter
04-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Shiq
I built a couple of 6wt z axis last year with single foots. Pretty sure part of the motivation was less guide wrapping, and when I researched the pro's and con's could not find any reason not to give this a try. I am very pleased with the result. Kind of like the different look from the traditional. I have not cast a z with snake guides, but I can tell you with a sci angler sharkskin you can really zoom it out there.
I would definitly recommend using singles.
Bushplanter