PDA

View Full Version : Where to Go?

seth
04-13-2009, 10:12 AM
I have the week off and am hoping to get away... Does anyone have any recomendations on where to hit? I was thinking about hitting the pit, trinity, upper sac. Or possibly the LT, T, East Walker. Are there any rivers that are fishing really well right now besides the Lower Sac? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

medfly
04-13-2009, 11:24 AM
i'd head to the eastern sierra, but i just can never get enough of that area. can fish east walker out of bridgeport, but i usually head to bishop, generally good temperatures while surrounding mountains are cold, its a great base for fishing, hiking, climbing, exploring. i hear the owens is fishing very well right now

Notch
04-13-2009, 06:21 PM
You can't go wrong with the Pit in April. The lower river might still be high with run off from kosk and Deep Creek, but Pit 3 should be it's usual 150 cfs. Stones, micro mays, and princes should get you a few footballs to hand.

Be sure to post a report if you decide to go...It's always nice to know what's really going on before I make the 4+ hr drive up there!

Craig Nielsen
04-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Seth:
My good friend Notch has got it right. Pit 3 has been on fire lately. The hot fly the other day was an Olive Birdsnest, a few days before all you needed was an Elk Hair Caddis. Pit 4 has come into shape as well as the Upper Sac where we have not had huge numbers but nearly all of our fish have been in the teens. The Lower Sac has been good as well and the low flows allow for good wade access. For a few pics and detailed reports I have a blog (http://www.shastatrout.com/blog/) you can check out or better yet, drop me a line just before you leave and I'll give you the very latest.

troutbm
04-16-2009, 07:47 PM
You can't go wrong with the Pit in April. The lower river might still be high with run off from kosk and Deep Creek, but Pit 3 should be it's usual 150 cfs. Stones, micro mays, and princes should get you a few footballs to hand.

Be sure to post a report if you decide to go...It's always nice to know what's really going on before I make the 4+ hr drive up there!

All you need to know are if the flows are fishable. The fish are always there, Just a matter if you can catch a few. And if ya don't was it all that bad anyways ?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-01-2009, 09:41 AM
I would opt for the Pit and Mccloud, in that order.

If you need any advise on the Pit River just send me an email.

That is my favorite trout stream in California. We like fishing the Pit River around June and Sept/Oct.

bill@kiene.com